Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] F Quinton Byfield re-signs with the Kings (5 years, $6.25M AAV)

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Solid contract but I thought going max length would have been best for the team, wouldn't it ?

This seems to favour the player as I believe he will be UFA at 26. Not 100% sure though.
Term favors the player but the cap hit is pretty favorable for the team if he continues to build off last year's season

Pretty fair deal for both sides overall

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Solid contract but I thought going max length would have been best for the team, wouldn't it ?

This seems to favour the player as I believe he will be UFA at 26. Not 100% sure though.
You’re correct it would have been better to go max term but it favors both parties id say . With the cap going up it allows the Kings to capitalize and add some great pieces to make the team better throughout the next couple years while Byfield gets better and it benefits the player because it takes him strate to UFA status but he seems to love LA and he is going to be the guy so he will just cash in big time as several players caps would be off the books by then and we would sjgn him long term then

Reactions: apadilla and HabsQC

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
For LA, love the cap hit, but not the term. He still had 4 RFA years left, right? So this only buys 1 UFA year? Not quite as bad as walking him straight to UFA, but close. If I'm the Kings I would've strongly preferred either a true bridge deal (2-3 years, where he's still an RFA at the end), or a 7-8 year deal.

With that being said, the player-friendly term is certainly why Byfield was willing to take such a team-friendly cap hit, can't really have it both ways. At least they didn't do what Dubas did with the original Matthews/Marner RFA deals, where he gave player-friendly term AND cap (and I say that as a Leafs fan). This is a very nice deal for the Kings for the next 5 years, and if they see that as their prime contention window, then it being a worse deal for the future is maybe a fine tradeoff for them.

FrozenKing18

Where is my super suit?
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
LETS F’N GO!!!

IMG_6560.png

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You’re correct it would have been better to go max term but it favors both parties id say . With the cap going up it allows the Kings to capitalize and add some great pieces to make the team better throughout the next couple years while Byfield gets better and it benefits the player because it takes him strate to UFA status but he seems to love LA and he is going to be the guy so he will just cash in big time as several players caps would be off the books by then and we would sjgn him long term then
From Byfield's POV, going to 8 years takes him to age 30. Unless he got a really good deal, this or 6 years is about right for the player. That still ensures 1 more shot at a big contract. As a bigger guy, never know how you will age. I think Benn signed his 8 year deal which began at 28 for him. His 2nd year of that deal, he dropped from 79 to 53 points.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The reason why I think the contract is cheaper than expected is because QB has had some illness issues but most importantly he’s been playing with Kopitar as a winger. Hes going to be a center from here on out and that’s a whole different animal. They moved him to winger because he was not doing well as a center. It’s definitely expected that this upcoming year the momentum from being a winger will definitely not carry over fully to center.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Got less than Slaf. Fire his agent.

Should have went for the 8y deal.
Slaf contract bought 4 UFA years, Byfield deal buys only 1. Major, major difference.

Slaf will make $60.8 mil over 8 years. If Byfield's next deal pays him $9.5 mil AAV, that'll be $61 mil over 8 years, total (5x6.5 + 3x9.85 = 61). And I actually think it's pretty likely Byfield's next deal pays him more than that. The cap is very likely to keep on increasing pretty quickly, barring another COVID type world event, it's likely to be at least 10% higher in 5 years vs. today. And I think Byfield is gonna be a 2-way, possession driving stud, who also scores quite well. Nylander got $11.5 mil AAV, I think Byfield in 5 years has a good shot to be as valuable as Nylander today (not as good offensively, but makes up for it in 2-way play and physicality), and if the cap also rises 10%, that'd be ~$12.65 mil.

Of course the Byfield strategy is much riskier than the route Slaf took, he could certainly end up making a lot less, if he gets a career altering injury and/or simply stops getting better. But I do think he'll most likely make more than Slaf, once you take the first 3 years of his next deal into account.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
lol Montreal signs Slafkvoskiy for what they did and LA get Bygield at this steal who is the way better player. Great work by LA’s GM.

Slaf is two years younger, even bigger, only had five points less and was better down the stretch. Terrible post.

That said, don't want to hijack a thread due to this kind of garbage. Good deal for the Kings. Love Byfield.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Slaf is two years younger, even bigger, only had five points less and was better down the stretch. Terrible post.

That said, don't want to hijack a thread due to this kind of garbage. Good deal for the Kings. Love Byfield.
Terrible post? One plays the most valuable position in hockey.

Byfield is, and will be the better hockey player and he’s getting paid LESS. Get a map, you’re lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad