Prospect Info: LAK Draft (83rd, 2020) RW Alex Laferriere, Des Moines, USHL

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I hope he sticks. He looks like someone who could become a solid middle-6 winger. The forward depth is insane. It is becoming very hard to choose between all the depth forwards. Some are going to have to be moved sooner or later. We are becoming adept at providing depth around the league :sarcasm:

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego

I dunno know, he looks a little lackadaisical.

I hope he sticks. He looks like someone who could become a solid middle-6 winger. The forward depth is insane. It is becoming very hard to choose between all the depth forwards. Some are going to have to be moved sooner or later. We are becoming adept at providing depth around the league :sarcasm:
It's pretty telling when guys like Dowd and Amadio have carved out solid careers for themselves. I just hope we don't pull a Bunting and let someone go who breaks out (unless it's in a trade for commensurate picks or talent back our way, of course).

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I dunno know, he looks a little lackadaisical.

It's pretty telling when guys like Dowd and Amadio have carved out solid careers for themselves. I just hope we don't pull a Bunting and let someone go who breaks out (unless it's in a trade for commensurate picks or talent back our way, of course).
Hope he gets a game in vs the ducks.

They are taller version of Lizzotte. Lizzo looks to have a better scoring potential playing half the games . If he was 6-2", he'd be the best 4th line center in the league.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Laferriere did not play for the Reign last night...is he not with them? Or strictly a 'black ace' now?
Wouldn't it behoove him to be playing with the Reign?

Reactions: ru4reals

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
He was recalled to LA a few days ago. Part of the deal with him signing to burn a year on his ELC.

Yes. I saw that he practiced with the Kings and even rotated in line 1. And saw him at the end of the bench in a light blue suit, with Fiala, Bjornfot, Edler, after the final home game.
But I figured he would go back to the Reign to play and play in the playoffs.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
he cannot

Thanks. It's too bad, because the Reign need all the talent they can ice and playoff experience would be great for him...is it his contract? Or that clear day thing? I am glad he's up and practicing and will be a black ace. Just would think AHL playoffs would be better.

Since you know these things. What happens if and when Pinelli or Clarke's playoffs end.
Can they join the Reign or Kings? Thanks!

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
is it his contract? Or that clear day thing?
I believe it's a clear day thing... BECAUSE of his contract.

He could have signed an ELC that started on July 1st* and signed an ATO that would have allowed him to stay and play in Ontario.

Instead he signed an ELC that started the moment he signed it, therefor burning the first year of his entry level SPC and making him inellegible to join the Reign because he has an SPC and wasn't on their roster for clear day.

I think.

*I don't know for a fact that July 1st is the start of the fiscal year this year but historically the reason Free Agency starts on July 1st every year is that the NHL Fiscal Year begins on July 1st.

Unrelated... this is also a large part of why I believe that the NHL Entry Draft is the final event of a concluding season rather than the start of the following season.
Since you know these things. What happens if and when Pinelli or Clarke's playoffs end.
Can they join the Reign or Kings? Thanks!
They can join the Reign. They both have signed their Entry Level SPC but they are both "sliding" and because they play in the CHL can join the AHL at the conslusion of their season.

I am not 100% on these details but I'm preeeeetty sure that's basically how it works.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Blake: "He will make an excellent drone in Ontario next season."

14584bea-2c88-4510-897c-4fc0663b1671_text.gif

Reactions: johnjm22

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I believe it's a clear day thing... BECAUSE of his contract.

They can join the Reign. They both have signed their Entry Level SPC but they are both "sliding" and because they play in the CHL can join the AHL at the conslusion of their season.

I am not 100% on these details but I'm preeeeetty sure that's basically how it works.

Thanks, Jessie, appreciated.
I assume Laferriere can play for the Kings in the playoffs?
I sincerely doubt it would happen.
Unless there are 1-2 more injuries and the Kings down 3-0 in the series, why not give him a game?

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
Laferriere is an interesting case because he was legitimately Not Good last year (last in +/-, worst among regulars in CF% despite having easy zone starts, all of his most common linemates had a better Corsi without him than with him, etc.) but he was only 22, it was his first year in the league and, unlike pretty much every other forward prospect on the team, the Kings let him work it out in the NHL all season. We’ll have to see if that work let him grow as a player as opposed to riding the bench for half the season or getting “seasoning” in the AHL. I personally think he could have used a week off at some point to study film but that would have meant giving Kaliyev some consistent time and that was obviously not possible for [reasons].

(The real thing to watch is how he does without PLD and vice-versa, since they were by far the most common duo on the 3rd line last year. PLD did better away from Laferriere so it’ll be kind of embarrassing next year if PLD looks rejuvenated and Laferriere continues his lackluster play.)

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Laferriere is an interesting case because he was legitimately Not Good last year (last in +/-, worst among regulars in CF% despite having easy zone starts, all of his most common linemates had a better Corsi without him than with him, etc.) but he was only 22, it was his first year in the league and, unlike pretty much every other forward prospect on the team, the Kings let him work it out in the NHL all season. We’ll have to see if that work let him grow as a player as opposed to riding the bench for half the season or getting “seasoning” in the AHL. I personally think he could have used a week off at some point to study film but that would have meant giving Kaliyev some consistent time and that was obviously not possible for [reasons].

(The real thing to watch is how he does without PLD and vice-versa, since they were by far the most common duo on the 3rd line last year. PLD did better away from Laferriere so it’ll be kind of embarrassing next year if PLD looks rejuvenated and Laferriere continues his lackluster play.)

That's the infuriating part really

he was an ideal candidate to be flip flopped with Fagemo and Turcotte throughout the year, give em all 30+ games each and back to the A if you have to

letting a guy that's never played a full pro schedule just suffer thru a whole season next to PLD especially was pretty f***ing stupid no matter what you think of him as a player

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
That's the infuriating part really

he was an ideal candidate to be flip flopped with Fagemo and Turcotte throughout the year, give em all 30+ games each and back to the A if you have to

letting a guy that's never played a full pro schedule just suffer thru a whole season next to PLD especially was pretty f***ing stupid no matter what you think of him as a player
I like the kid and think there will be growth. He was a rookie last year, played way more games then he did in college and he showed some heart and spark.

However, I did think that he was part of the PLD problem. There was numerous times that he was set up for taping goals from PLD, but never got the shot towards the net, and there is numerous times they had possession in the offensive zone when he just seemed to throw the puck away.

We Complained when Byfield wasn’t getting the assist he should’ve but we also have to consider that PLD probably would’ve had 5 to 10 more points if his line mates would’ve converted easy plays.

Saying that I always thought Laf would be that perfect third line winger. Provides a little bit of spark, a little bit of scoring, and I think his defense will come along.

On a rookie deal there’s not much more you could ask. Excited to see what improvements come with him this year.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I don’t get the hate by some for this kid. He’s fast, has slick hands, and can score. He’s not not physical. Hell through some hits too.

He’s good at stealing pucks like an Iaffalo but also has more skill.
The gripes are completely warranted and a lot of that is the fact he was thrown into the NHL rather quickly. Will he improve, I think so but I see him as more of a Dwight King/Tonka than an Alex Iafallo who’s a much better player.
He should have spent the year in Ontario as a top 6 to help further his developing offense as a primary option. Realistically where does he slot this year after BLuc added Tanner and Warren? You still have AK and Turc..
I could see Foegle-Thomas-Laff as our 4th line

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don’t get the hate by some for this kid. He’s fast, has slick hands, and can score. He’s not not physical. Hell through some hits too.

He’s good at stealing pucks like an Iaffalo but also has more skill.

It's not hate at all. I've seen nothing but realistic evaluation of this kid yet inequitable treatment between him and other youth.

I like him a lot, plays an honest north-south game, hits to staple guys to the boards, will drop them. Good bottom sixer with some possible upside--but if you want the guy to score more he needs more offensive touches hence why we would have liked to see him get some AHL top line/PP time.

I also think he'll take a good step forward this year FWIW.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The gripes are completely warranted and a lot of that is the fact he was thrown into the NHL rather quickly. Will he improve, I think so but I see him as more of a Dwight King/Tonka than an Alex Iafallo who’s a much better player.
He should have spent the year in Ontario as a top 6 to help further his developing offense as a primary option. Realistically where does he slot this year after BLuc added Tanner and Warren? You still have AK and Turc..
I could see Foegle-Thomas-Laff as our 4th line
It's hilarious people are saying he was "thrown in the NHL" when the biggest issue has been the Kings slow-boiling the prospects to a fault.

He's going to be 23 at the end of October. He's not a top-six forward. He's a utility forward with a motor. He worked to get in that role.

His decision-making needs improvement. That comes with experience. Not with slowing down the environment in which he plays.

It's not hate at all. I've seen nothing but realistic evaluation of this kid yet inequitable treatment between him and other youth.
Calling him "part of the PLD problem" is a "realistic evaluation"?

Dude worked his ass off to get in the NHL. That's the whole point of incentivizing youth. How many times have we seen players show they belong, only to get benched/reduced time so an underachieving vet gets more opportunity? Now a contingent wants him sent down to the AHL, regardless of effort, to give someone else NHL time? As opposed to, say, benching any underachieving player and giving another young player a shot?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Calling him "part of the PLD problem" is a "realistic evaluation"?

Dude worked his ass off to get in the NHL. That's the whole point of incentivizing youth. How many times have we seen players show they belong, only to get benched/reduced time so an underachieving vet gets more opportunity? Now a contingent wants him sent down to the AHL, regardless of effort, to give someone else NHL time? As opposed to, say, benching any underachieving player and giving another young player a shot?

It wasn't unfair. He had the lowest shooting % of any regular forward on the team aside from Trevor Lewis.

He showed he 'belonged' from an effort, checking standpoint. He didn't show he belonged from a production standpoint. I don't think it's unfair to ask him to get more 'scoring situation' time on the PP/top lines in the AHL especially given he's never played the rigors of a full pro season and we could see him slow down as the season went on.

And hey I'd rather other underachieving vets get benched in favor of youth but I also don't see anything horribly wrong with giving Fagemo more than 4 NHL games and Turcotte given they're all the same ages and been pros longer? The whole idea isn't just to let them rot in the AHL forever, it's to give them cups of coffee to learn, return, practice, no? Wasn't saying send him down for the year.

I don't see why this is considered a horrible insult. And I dont see it as 'incentivizing youth' when he's the only one getting it. And again this is less of a slam of Laferriere and much more one of development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad