Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] D Joel Edmundson signs with the Kings (4 years, $3.85M AAV)

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Damn allocating $7M+ for the next few seasons on Edmundson and Foegele seems like a crazy decision to me. But to be fair most teams have a head scratching contract or two on the books

Reactions: YP44

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This is quite obviously the size and toughness tax. Why else would Gostisbehere and Walker, two players with better on-ice results, get smaller AAVs (and in Ghost's case, also a smaller amount of years) than Edmundson?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This is quite obviously the size and toughness tax. Why else would Gostisbehere and Walker, two players with better on-ice results, get smaller AAVs (and in Ghost's case, also a smaller amount of years) than Edmundson?

It’s more because Blake and Bergevin are stupid. The "stupid" tax here.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
LA has high taxes. They have to over pay.
It’s the way of the world.

It’s not the “weather” that gets people to sign in Tampa/florida

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Having watched him play a half season with the Capitals last year, I flat out don't get it.

This is a real head scratcher.

Reactions: YP44

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

A raise and a new four year contract for a player who's been having debilitating back issues on and off for the past three years is not just an over-pay. It's actually far worse than an over-pay. Joel Edmundson is not likely to play 50% of these games and he's especially not likely to perform in these games at any remotely acceptable level.

Reactions: BLNY

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I am definitely in the corner of taxes make a difference, but taxes do not explain the gross term and dollar amount of this deal. I want to know if there were competing offers or something that led to this. Either Blake went in way too high, or he was the guy at an auction that was going to keep saying yup no matter the cost, and another team drove it up.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Having watched him play a half season with the Capitals last year, I flat out don't get it.

This is a real head scratcher.

Do you expect GMs to scout a player they want to sign ? Too much work, they sign a player and hope for the best...:popcorn:

Also, we are talking about Marc Bergevin, a guy who cried for an over the hill Gallagher (I swear he cried) and gave him a putrid contract, when we knew it was too much and that he was almost done.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
A raise and a new four year contract for a player who's been having debilitating back issues on and off for the past three years is not just an over-pay. It's actually far worse than an over-pay. Joel Edmundson is not likely to play 50% of these games and he's especially not likely to perform in these games at any remotely acceptable level.
The most likely scenario, in my opinion, is that Blake badly wanted Dillon. When he went elsewhere and Blake realized he was over a barrel looking for a physical LHD, he avoided a protracted bidding war and just gave Edmundson exactly what he asked for - even though it was over the moon.

Same nonsense he did with Kovalchuk.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The most likely scenario, in my opinion, is that Blake badly wanted Dillon. When he went elsewhere and Blake realized he was over a barrel looking for a physical LHD, he avoided a protracted bidding war and just gave Edmundson exactly what he asked for - even though it was over the moon.

Same nonsense he did with Kovalchuk.

Blake is among the best GMs in the league in knowing what he wants and then making it happen.

Blake is among the worst GMs in the league in talent evaluation and cohesive long-term strategy.

It’s a real nightmare scenario.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Blake is among the best GMs in the league in knowing what he wants and then making it happen.

Blake is among the worst GMs in the league in talent evaluation and cohesive long-term strategy.

It’s a real nightmare scenario.
The new Benning?

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Edmunston with 50% retention fetch us a 3rd last year. Now he is worth this contract? Nonsense ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad