Proposal: Laine to Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Interesting development. Is CLB Waddell the most public GM? I've never seen someone show their hand in the press so much.

“We might end up eating some money,” Waddell told The Columbus Dispatch. “If I wanted to eat half, I could’ve traded him by now, but that’s not my first choice.”

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Interesting development. Is CLB Waddell the most public GM? I've never seen someone show their hand in the press so much.

Yep, actually a trade to Minnesota probably be best for both clubs. Minnesota needs someone to score goals.

ellusive

Dec 21, 2009
Nyquist is 35 yesss old and won’t repeat last season.

Fabbro is a bottom pair defenseman.

Tampa first will be a low one.

Askarov has no place in Nashville not with Saros signed. Could bolt to Russia if not dealt and a clear path to nhl.

So yeah… what?
Laine is damage goods.. look at Vrana or Kuznetsov.. no way you get that kind of return..

• Haha
Reactions: VT and Fro

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Their argument is one of depth. Nashville isn't exactly deep on the right side. Therefore, regardless of whether or not Fabbro ends up playing bottom pairing, a trade involving another player, like Glass, would make more sense. That's all they are saying. Whether or not you think Glass is untradeable, an assumption not everyone is going to make, is irrelevant to that point. Nashville quite simply needs right side defenders more than it needs bottom six forwards at the moment.

Also, hopefully I'm not being presumptious when I say that the correct title is ma'am, not sir. "That chick from Ohio"
Wait . . . Women are allowed here?

I gotta clean up my act. ;-)

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Wait . . . Women are allowed here?

I gotta clean up my act. ;-)
1722910652342.png

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Yes, but with what cap?? View attachment 899478
It would have to be other player(s) going the other way to eat some of his salary. Maybe a 1st overall and like 2 players Foligno at 4million + Trenin 3.5 million would do it probably ! . They could also add another pick(s) in their or even use prospect(s).

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Again, cap issues make this not work. Doesn’t matter the skill level. It simply cannot work due to CAP ISSUES

Yeah such a bad offer lol

A bottom pair dman that we need to cap dump anyway.

A low first round pick

A 35 year old Swede who overachieved last season and almost certainly won’t repeat that point total.

Askarov is the main piece. Nyquist and fabbro are cap dumps essentially in this trade to make room for Laine who is also being retained at 50% so it is another huge bonus for Nashville.

Again, fabbro is a cap casualty for us anyways and Tampa first is probably never an nhl player if you base it on odds.

Worse proposal ever 🤣🤣
Why is his nationality relevant?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
We are left to assume that either Nashville undervalues Swedes or Columbus overvalues them.
There is not a single Swede in the organization, although there are two on the payroll as both Boqvist and Wennberg are on buyouts.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
How is this thread at over 100 posts? :huh:

The Preds signed Stamkos and Marchessault. They are at/over the Cap now. There is just no way that Laine is of any interest to the Preds. Trotz is not looking for big reclamation guys, he has a different vision for the kinds of players he wants to add, and he is totally capped out.

This thread shouldn't exist.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We could have 12 60+ point forwards in our lineup and our trade board posters would still propose trading defenders, prospects, and goalies for more scoring forwards. :laugh:

I think the appeal isn't just finding immediate scoring, it's finding high upside scorers that are young enough to grow with the team. Who is in that 23-29 age range right now?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the appeal isn't just finding immediate scoring, it's finding high upside scorers that are young enough to grow with the team. Who is in that 23-29 age range right now?
Problem is Trotz isn't really looking for players to grow with the team, by going the route he has he essentially threw that out the window. He has about 3 years to do something with this roster, after that its essentially a rebuild whether he wants to call it that or not.

I think if Trotz is giving up an Askarov in a deal it will be a young guy that will come in after this group has all but flamed out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Problem is Trotz isn't really looking for players to grow with the team, by going the route he has he essentially threw that out the window. He has about 3 years to do something with this roster, after that its essentially a rebuild whether he wants to call it that or not.

I think if Trotz is giving up an Askarov in a deal it will be a young guy that will come in after this group has all but flamed out.

That's what it seems like from the current age distribution of the players, but we often guess wrong about this. Sometimes older teams transition well. Like the Bruins were supposed to need a big rebuild, but they got McAvoy and Pastrnak later in the round, and the team just never stopped being solid. There's a lot of examples like this where it doesn't unfold how we expect it to. I think Trotz thinks he'll be able to find a way to maintain competitiveness, and I don't blame him looking at the success he's had with older clubs so far. And maybe he thinks he can pull it off partly with buy low finds like (potentially) Laine.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
How is this thread at over 100 posts? :huh:

The Preds signed Stamkos and Marchessault. They are at/over the Cap now. There is just no way that Laine is of any interest to the Preds. Trotz is not looking for big reclamation guys, he has a different vision for the kinds of players he wants to add, and he is totally capped out.

This thread shouldn't exist.
Probably like a third of the posts are asking why this is even a topic. And then another third are needless explanatory posts like this one.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I believe ZERO is very accurate at this juncture in time.

Why would he be "stuck" in the AHL? He wasn't a better goalie than Kevin Lankinen last season. At times he wasn't a better goalie than Troy Grosenick. He came here in the first place because he wasn't getting playing time in Russia. All he has to do is be better than Scott Wedgewood. Is that such an insurmountable obstacle?

He is being granted every opportunity to emerge as an NHL-caliber goalie in the Nashville organization right now. I think he will succeed. But he isn't there yet. An awful lot more needs to happen before he's in a position to take relative peanuts in the KHL over pursuing an NHL career. I'm not saying it couldn't happen a few years from now - but that would be contingent on him basically failing to progress as a prospect. And if THAT happens... at that point who cares? :dunno:
Tell me more about askarov lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy