Contract Termination: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen placed on waivers by the Flyers for the purpose of contract termination (Johansen grieving)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Eh, it's much bigger than that and I've laid it out in so many words prior, but it actually starts with one word: Comcast. Because they're the ones who hired Tortorella (literally, he was hired by corporate) and then paired him with a rookie GM, President, and team CEO. Bad combo. Badly run company with a bad culture.
Well sorry for you guys. Torts would be enough on his own...

Reactions: LeBrun is a Clown

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Well sorry for you guys. Torts would be enough on his own...

Torts, in the right situation (a better roster and a strong power structure in the organization) could be a good thing. He can be a really good coach, but he is who he is. Colossal ego and stubbornness.

The Flyers need high picks, so he's already a bad choice there--he's too good of a coach. But the people who hired him also think he's marketing gold (he's been front and center in their local advertising from the start). And instead of putting strong management above him to rein him in or hold him accountable, they hired a meek ex-player and a jolly broadcaster then told the three of them that they actually would share power equally.

Torts is much more than a coach in Philly, he's way more powerful within the franchise than that. They've been building the roster around him since he got here, trade value or team outlook be damned. The hope is that, if he goes head to head with Michkov, then Briere/Jones might grow the balls to gang up and push him out the door, rather than risk their most talented prospect in decades. But until that happens...they're a soap opera.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Torts, in the right situation (a better roster and a strong power structure in the organization) could be a good thing. He can be a really good coach, but he is who he is. Colossal ego and stubbornness.

The Flyers need high picks, so he's already a bad choice there--he's too good of a coach. But the people who hired him also think he's marketing gold (he's been front and center in their local advertising from the start). And instead of putting strong management above him to rein him in or hold him accountable, they hired a meek ex-player and a jolly broadcaster then told the three of them that they actually would share power equally.

Torts is much more than a coach in Philly, he's way more powerful within the franchise than that. They've been building the roster around him since he got here, trade value or team outlook be damned. The hope is that, if he goes head to head with Michkov, then Briere/Jones might grow the balls to gang up and push him out the door, rather than risk their most talented prospect in decades. But until that happens...they're a soap opera.
That sounds eerily similar to Sullivan's power with the Pens organization. Funny how "the student" has become a clone of his "mentor".

Reactions: Fatass

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

May be one of the more ridiculous takes on a franchise I've heard.

Under Tortorella the Flyers have steadily improved; while building an identity and culture.

The team was far more competitive than expected and has a pipeline of young prospects expected to hit the roster in the near future figures to compete for the foreseeable future.

But sure - Briere and the front office want a reason to push him out.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021

Under Tortorella the Flyers have steadily improved; while building an identity and culture.

The team was far more competitive than expected and has a pipeline of young prospects expected to hit the roster in the near future figures to compete for the foreseeable future.

Took a 61 pts team with Hayes, DeAngelo, Provorov. Got 75 then got 87 with the Hart stuff.

Some link Tortorella with « win now » approach but team is loaded with early picks, sold Walker at deadline and has great prospect incoming.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011

Sprinkling salt on a s*** sandwich doesn't really make it better in the long run.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Hi can you tell me about the pipeline of sterling prospects they have bud?

I know this franchise very well. I didn't say they want a reason to push him out. I think they need to grow the guts and brains to do it.

If you want to see the long-term prognosis for a Tortorella bubble team with a novice GM, I present to you the Columbus Blue Jackets. Sure, plenty of differences. But they're on a rocket to mediocrity if they stay on the path they're on.

Last edited by a moderator:

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Agree on we'll see what happens. But a couple of points:

1) RJ would have had to have had a physical both after the trade, and at the end of the season. If he passed the EOS physical - he could be bought out. He must not have passed the physical, and he apparently has major surgery scheduled (which the Flyers could not have been ignorant of).
2) My "laughable" experience is not with a union 400 people. But the NHLPA is not that size either. To sign a NHL contract you must be a member of the NHLPA, and since each of the 32 teams have between 45-50 players under contract, that's about 3-4x as many participants as you seem to think. But even beyond that, your contention that the number of participants makes a union completely unique is completely baseless. I would bet that Alan Eagleson would have been RIGHT at home at the AFL-CIO. From what I've read of the NHLPA - you get a lot of the same internal attitudes where the vast majority of the member just want to work and the vocal minority runs the show including the politics and powerplays of any similarly purposed organization.
3) IMO, one of the major characteristics of unions (of any size) would be that they voraciously defend their members, regardless of the underlying facts and circumstances. The NHLPA is in line with that behavior.

Somehow you seem to think that you know more than every person on the internet. Hubris much? You don't know me, or my experience. I did not claim to be an organized labor expert, but have had to deal with unions as part of my professional experience. I'm not claiming to have intimate knowledge of how the NHLPA works, or have any specific details of the RJ situation beyond what's been reported.
1) A physical both after the trade and at the EOS you say! Which somehow allowed him to still get traded, but then not to report immediately to a minor league team for his new team because of...injury? And then also fail the chance to be bought out at EOS, after not playing at all for his new team...for an injury concern? For a player nobody expected to stay on the Flyer roster? Hmmm....I like the Flyer's chances of a reasonable grievance claim

2) You have some interesting corrections to my thoughts about the NHLPA. Mostly, how many members it encompasses, and what follows from that. I am pretty sure only NHL rostered players get NHLPA membership...but you can check that for yourself, and we can adjust our thoughts as to how vociferously the union represents it's membership. And the people clamouring for membership in the club.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
1) A physical both after the trade and at the EOS you say! Which somehow allowed him to still get traded, but then not to report immediately to a minor league team for his new team because of...injury? And then also fail the chance to be bought out at EOS, after not playing at all for his new team...for an injury concern? For a player nobody expected to stay on the Flyer roster? Hmmm....I like the Flyer's chances of a reasonable grievance claim

2) You have some interesting corrections to my thoughts about the NHLPA. Mostly, how many members it encompasses, and what follows from that. I am pretty sure only NHL rostered players get NHLPA membership...but you can check that for yourself, and we can adjust our thoughts as to how vociferously the union represents it's membership. And the people clamouring for membership in the club.
How many guys had surgery after the playoffs ended? They played in their teams last game, but would they have passed a physical or considered "healthy"? IMO, there are enough examples and it is really difficult to differtiate between hurting and injured with the beating that NHL players take.

I am sure that to sign an ELC you have to be a NHLPA member, so that is a much larger population than just the rostered players. I am not suggesting that the PA defends all members equivalently, because they definitely throw new/future members under the bus with ELCs limitations.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

A culture of what? Continued losing?

Their pipeline (less MM) is as vanillas as can be and not impressive at all when you considered where the Flyers have finished the last 4/5 years.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

He is just one of the many players who seem to get injured/healthy just at the right moment for them..... I can't see the league punish him while giving the greenlight to the others ;)

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

All you do on the Flyers board is drop in with ridiculous takes about how marginal prospects are gonna be world beaters. :laugh:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
A culture of what? Continued losing?

Their pipeline (less MM) is as vanillas as can be and not impressive at all when you considered where the Flyers have finished the last 4/5 years.

Flyers won 38 games last season - improving in each of the last two seasons with Tortorella behind the bench. Those 38 wins are the most the team has had since their last playoff season in 2019-20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad