Value of: Laine to buffalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Rosen is a very nice prospect but I think that the CBJ are committed to not retaining 50% of Laine's salary and that Laine has an NTC and prefers to be traded to a more competitive team.

Reactions: n8 and Mestaruus

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I don’t know how laine fell so hard in the hockey world but I don’t think he is what the Sabres need.

What competitive teams would want him at his cap and trade assets for him? Carolina had a difficult time trading necas and I think I’d prefer necas over laine at this point. I see laine staying in Columbus and hopefully he has a good season for them

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I don’t know how laine fell so hard in the hockey world but I don’t think he is what the Sabres need.

What competitive teams would want him at his cap and trade assets for him? Carolina had a difficult time trading necas and I think I’d prefer necas over laine at this point. I see laine staying in Columbus and hopefully he has a good season for them

Many believe in the possibility of him bouncing back, so it will be interesting to see how everything will go after such a break. Maybe he comes playing really fresh now or being gone that long didn't do him good.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I take this all day. If you remove the retention you can have Krebs or Joker and a pick.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I don't think the sabres can afford him without 50% retention.
I don't see the point of getting rid of VO and Skinner just to add Laine.

Laine is a great talent but why would he put it together in Buffalo?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I take this all day. If you remove the retention you can have Krebs or Joker and a pick.

You remove the retention and I don't know what Laine is worth today. Maybe nothing. If you waive him today, nobody claims that contract. So giving up a pick and Krebs and Jokiharju is ridiculous. Plus Buffalo D depth is not good enough to give up Jokiharju. We could have just kept Skinner.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Reversed it.

You remove the retention and I don't know what Laine is worth today. Maybe nothing. If you waive him today, nobody claims that contract. So giving up a pick and Krebs and Jokiharju is ridiculous. Plus Buffalo D depth is not good enough to give up Jokiharju. We could have just kept Skinner.
Swap the trade offers lol.

Reactions: SundherDome

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
You want him to go back into the players assistance program?

Buffalo, traditionally, has not been a good place for players with substance abuse issues. The long winter and lack of activities for young men that isn't drinking during the hockey season is not a good combo for people with addiction issues.

staveNsteel

Jan 18, 2021
Buffalo, traditionally, has not been a good place for players with substance abuse issues. The long winter and lack of activities for young men that isn't drinking during the hockey season is not a good combo for people with addiction issues.
It had nothing to do with substance abuse. He had mental health issues dealing with injuries, the passing of his dad, etc. over the last few years. He finally took some time for himself to get his head back on track. He's engaged now, and if traded, will get a fresh start to prove he's back on track.

Laine is a much better player than Rosen/Krebs for the purpose of this thread, and at a 25% retention, he could be a steal if he plays to his abilities.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Not a knock on buffalo or laine but think it’s a bad fit both ways. Laine has been in mediocre teams his whole career even if buffalo is coming out of it. If he has a say in it I would think he would aim for a contender of some type at this point in his career. Buffalo would do better to stay the course with their home grown talent. They already put it all the suffering, why trade assets for a maybe player that could help but hasn’t exactly had the best track record. Just seems like a big risk when they could probably get a more reliable player elsewhere is they tried

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I think Laine might succeed in Buffalo with Thompson or Cozens as his center. Sabres have assets to trade.

But, realistically speaking, that contract is too big a risk to take on at 100%. They just bought out Skinner's $9m contract after a PPG season two years ago because he was inconsistent and a poor fit for Lindy Ruff's style of play. At $6m, it's still a risk, but maybe one worth taking.

I could see maybe Greenway or Krebs (need to open a forward slot on the roster), a mid-level D prospect, and a 2nd that becomes a first if Laine suits up for a playoff game, retained accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad