Proposal: Laine to Anaheim

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It would be quite the achievement for a player to even put up 28 goals on that Anaheim squad. And if Laine scores 28, then it seems the Ducks will have swindled the Jackets. He'll pop the next year for more as the Ducks grow and the Jackets get nothing but loose change.

I think this deal should be reworked so that the conditions are more easily met, and in return the Ducks can keep Terry and the D-man. They need the depth more than the Jackets do.

Edit: scratch that, just make it a Ducks 2023 1st for Laine straight up.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Columbus added some more offensive pieces around Laine this year, why trade him now? I would imagine this is the year they want to play a more loose offensive game (Not a free for all but still a more fun game) and get Laine back on track to determine if hes a long term player or if he rebuilds his trade value and the team can get much more

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
This is bad for CBJ, If Laine is moved i think he could way more than that.

CBJ should keep Laine imo

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Yeah Columbus totally hangs on to the $7.5 million QO player whose trajectory is headed towards barely rosterable. Why take quality assets when you can pay way more to someone no better? Columbus may ask a little more but not much.

Last edited:

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
It would be wise for CBJ to do this. It is very possible the upcoming season will be Laine's last in the NHL.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
That's pennies for a one-dimensional player who isn't good at even that anymore? What's your team willing to pay for a 10 goal scorer?
Why trade him at all? I don't think there's any interest on Columbus' part to deal this guy. My read is that they want to build him up so that he's a useful player for them. Whether they succeed or not remains to be seen.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Yeah Columbus totally hangs on to the $7.5 million QO player whose trajectory is headed towards barely rosterable. Why take quality assets when you can pay way more to someone no better? Columbus may ask a little more but not much.

If Columbus was a playoff team or even a playoff bubble team, or if they thought Laine's trajectory from last year was the new normal, you're probably right.

They traded for Voracek and common wisdom says that was to give Laine a linemate that could serve up assists to him. So the plan appears to be to minimally rehab his worth in hopes he can be traded for higher value later, or to actually build him into a key part of the future. You can argue that what we saw last year is troo Laine, but the CBJ front office clearly disagree right now.

Any "fair value" trade for Columbus right now is all risk and little reward. It ain't like we're counting on him to be a 30 goal guy and help take us to the playoffs this season. Do we risk losing him for nothing later? Sure, but we got Roslovic in the PLD trade, so the sting will be muted should it come to that.

There's been no formal taking of the pulse of the CBJ faithful, but I'd bet if you did a poll on whether we should trade Laine or keep him, the winner right now would be "meh, keep him, maybe things work out". Obviously, he's very movable for an overpayment, but for a reasonable offer such as the OPs, I take the gamble on his potential and keep him.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
It would be wise for CBJ to do this. It is very possible the upcoming season will be Laine's last in the NHL.

I want what you have taken. How delusional can you get? A 23yr old with 150g in the NHL cant get a minimum salary I suppose? Jeesus...

Reactions: Ciao

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
:ducks
Patrick Laine

:cbj
Cond . 2022 2nd (turns into 2023 1st if Laine scores 30 goals 1st szn)
2023 2nd
Troy Terry
Brendan Guhle / Josh Mahura / Jacob Larsson

Based off of his current value

I would easily top that offer.
Laine would be one of the few players i would gamble our young guns on.

Turcotte + Iafallo for Laine

Reactions: KingTech

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad