Laine joins Jagr and Kovalchuk as only the 3rd european teenager to hit 100 career points

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Really doubtful. He needs 74 points before January 4th, 2019 (approx. 70-80 games minus playoffs). He would need either a long, productive playoff run this year or a significant increase in production.

I'm hoping for the latter ;)

Yea he's a long shot but he's got a chance. If he can finish the season strong and get to 60 points (34p in his last 41 games) he'd need another 40 combined from the playoffs and the first half of next year. Let's optimistically assume he gets 5 playoff points in 7 games. That means he'd need to pot approximately 35p in his first ~40 or so games next season. That totals to 74p in 88gp, or a 68 point pace.

I'd say it's pretty unlikely but not something I'd bet the farm against. It would require a decent improvement over his current pace + a hot streak or two, but I don't think a 60-70 point pace would be out of the question as a 19 year old. The biggest question mark is whether or not he'll be able to stay healthy. I bet he'll fall short by about 10-15 points or so.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The selective stats are so so fickle though. I could make up selective stats for just about any player in the league, and at that point it becomes so meaningless.

John Scott is only the 2nd player above 6-8" to play in the all-star game.
Connor brown is the 5th rookie from Ontario to score 20+ goals as a rookie since 2000

See how it minimizes the accomplishment?

I get stats are what you want them to be but you are being ridiculous. Take a look at the names listed, that is elite company. I do agree it's really.only attainable to players who are have birthdays fall at the right time or go on get into some serious playoff rounds, but it still takes an incredible amount if skill and is definitely noteworthy. When we have threads like "is it time to call doug weight and elite coach" and the multiple "it's time to talk about xxx" this is more than thread worthy.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The selective stats are so so fickle though. I could make up selective stats for just about any player in the league, and at that point it becomes so meaningless.

Connor brown is the 5th rookie from Ontario to score 20+ goals as a rookie since 2000

Well no, because these points are obviously nonsense that don't prove anything

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I get stats are what you want them to be but you are being ridiculous. Take a look at the names listed, that is elite company. I do agree it's really.only attainable to players who are have birthdays fall at the right time or go on get into some serious playoff rounds, but it still takes an incredible amount if skill and is definitely noteworthy. When we have threads like "is it time to call doug weight and elite coach" and the multiple "it's time to talk about xxx" this is more than thread worthy.
Obviously my stats were ridiculous, but the point is, I don't understand why its such an accomplishment if it's so selective.
Laine has to be born at the right time, drafted in the right year, play as a 18 year old, born from the right area, and score 100 points before a certain day in order for this stat to qualify. My point is only that being so selective takes away from how impressive it is, although bas I've already acknowledged, it is very impressive.

Will we have this tread for the 4th euro who does this? Probably not.
Did we have this thread for the 19th North American who did this(Skinner?)? I don't think so.
Will we have this thread for the 20st North American who does this? Not likely.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
J
Obviously my stats were ridiculous, but the point is, I don't understand why its such an accomplishment if it's so selective.
Laine has to be born at the right time, drafted in the right year, play as a 18 year old, born from the right area, and score 100 points before a certain day in order for this stat to qualify. My point is only that being so selective takes away from how impressive it is, although bas I've already acknowledged, it is very impressive.

Did we have this thread for the 19th North American who did this(Skinner?)? I don't think so.

I get that it isn't an even playing feild and not everyone gets the opportunity to do this, that was already covered. Fastest to 100 points in games is far more impressive. That said, just because only.some have an opportunity to do something doesn't make it less impressive. I didn't have an opportunity to go into orbit (age, height, location), but that doesn't make it any less impressive for those who did.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good for him. He's a very good player for sure, certainly helping to make Winnipeg a team to watch this year.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Who cares is something is "thread-worthy". Let the mods and/or posters decide that by responding and keeping the conversation going. The back and forth over if its a dumb stat really just smothers any other discussion.

While I don't disagree, what other conversation other than "that's awesome" and "here is a list of players to do it". It's more of an announcement thread than anything and that's ok.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If anything, the accomplishment just reminds one just how young Laine still is. Most Europeans do not even play in the NHL until they reach their 20's. Laine will likely have 130+ points under his belt by the start of his 20 year old season. The guy is trending towards a great career once he hangs it all up.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Not every player has had a chance to play in the NHL as a teenager, especially not historically. Selänne had to debut as a 22-year old because military duty or something. Bure scored 26 points in 32 games in the Soviet as a 17-year old (or would be 18-year old) and then was voted best forward in the 1989 WJC tournament against older players like Mogilny, Fedorov, LeClair, Roenick, Modano & Selänne, but could only debut in the NHL in 91–92 because of obvious Soviet issues. Forsberg also could have come over earlier but didn't for some reason.

Selänne did his military duties before he was even drafted, he volunteered when he was 17.
The Jets didn't offer him a contract until 1991 and even then, he chose to play in Finland for one more season.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

We totally will have thread for the fourth euro.

It's not particularly arbitrarily selective though, because 20 is a CBA-acknowledged age limit for the eligibility for ELC Slide which is one definition for a "so young player that the league doesn't need to take him fully setiously" . The selection can easily be made more "fair" and CBA-friendly by using the player's age at Sept 15th in the year he turns 20 like the CBA does.

Of course, being drafted at 18th year, playing in NHL in the season immediately after the draft and scoring 100 points are part of the achievement. It's silly to complain about the exclusion if one can't hit those, except maybe for the late birthday guys a bit. But then again, they are not eligible for a second ELC slide year either.

Reactions: insomniac

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Kovalchuk 67+51=118 Points
Jagr 50+58=108 Points
Laine 55+45=100 Points

Would be interested to know what the PPG are. I assume Laine is also 3rd on that list.

I know I could look it up but I'm lazy...and at work...and sitting on a hockey forum not working...

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

are saying this stat is too selective?

cuz it's not just an accomplishment of laine's but goes to to show history of European players entering the league at younger ages, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Would be interested to know what the PPG are. I assume Laine is also 3rd on that list.

I know I could look it up but I'm lazy...and at work...and sitting on a hockey forum not working...

Ilya Kovalchuk 146 GP 67+51=118 (PPG 0.808)
Jaromir Jagr 128 GP 50+58=108 (PPG 0.844)
Patrik Laine 117 GP 55+45=100 (PPG 0.855)

So Laine has the best PPG out of those three. Obviously Laine's PPG will still change during the season before his 20th birthday so remains to be seen whether he can score enough to keep his PPG higher than Jagr's was during the teenage years.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Ilya Kovalchuk 146 GP 67+51=118 (PPG 0.808)
Jaromir Jagr 128 GP 50+58=108 (PPG 0.844)
Patrik Laine 117 GP 55+45=100 (PPG 0.855)

So Laine has the best PPG out of those three. Obviously Laine's PPG will still change during the season before his 20th birthday so remains to be seen whether he can score enough to keep his PPG higher than Jagr's was during the teenage years.

Thanks for that.

Genuinely surprised. I figured the higher scoring era's, playing with Mario (for Jagr) and being the absolute offensive focal point (Kovy) would've led to higher ppg totals.

Will be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Players who have scored 100 or more points in NHL before their 20th birthday:

1. Sidney Crosby 75+147=222
2. Wayne Gretzky 76+144=220
3. Dale Hawerchuk 85+109=194
4. Jimmy Carson 92+94=186
5. Steve Yzerman 69+107=176
6. Brian Bellows 76+72=148
7. Ron Francis 47+95=142
8. Bob Carpenter 64+72=136
9. Phil Housley 46+86=132
10. Pierre Turgeon 48+82=130
11. Ed Olczyk 49+80=129
12. Ilya Kovalchuk 67+51=118
13. Dan Quinn 39+71=110
13. Trevor Linden 51+59=110
15. Ted Kennedy 56+52=108
15. Jaromir Jagr 50+58=108
17. Steven Stamkos 55+52=107
17. Jeff Skinner 51+56=107
19. Sylvain Turgeon 55+46=101
19. Nathan MacKinnon 38+63=101
21. Mario Lemieux 43+57=100
21. Patrik Laine 55+45=100
1 more point and he's confirmed as better than Mario! :sarcasm:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
IMO it's well worthy topic. If he stays healthy and beats Kovalchuk's points then great.

Crosby was truly something else, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00