Laine doing it right away

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
A lot of comparison have made between Ovechkin and Laine and it many thought that Jets won't be going far because it's built in the same way as Washington that haven't been able to do anything during Ovechkin's time. Now Jets with Laine are already in the WCF and have a great shot at the cup. Does this change the thought that you can't build winner team with the franchise winger?
would be cooler if he started scoring some goals ! :thumbu:

Reactions: behemolari

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
we friggin' wish....

for years Ovechkin was basically being asked to be both Laine AND Wheeler, Backstrom to be both Scheifele AND Stastny.

glad that other people have also been correcting this, Jets and Caps aren't built the same at all. The last time they even resembled each other top to bottom, one team was in Atlanta.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Not with McDavid in the league no. Unless you don't expect the other comparable young players to fix their flaws.
Will McDavid even win the Hart this season? I doubt he will, and Hart goes to probably MacKinnon. None of the absolute top players have ever won Hart practically every year in their careers - not even Gretzky or Lemieux. If Laine can fix his weaknesses, I can definitely see chances of him being a serious Hart contender. Of course if he stays like he is right now he will never win it, but it’s in fact extremely unlikely that he will not still develop considerably.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Laine has been like the 6th best player on the Jets these playoffs (and that might be generous) and it has somehow turned into narratives that he’s empirically better than both Ovechkin and Matthews. It’s embarrassing.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I honestly don't think these two aren't that close to begin with. Different style and just lacks the impact ovechkin has on the game. I don't want to hear the Laine's only in his second year argument either because if you compare Laine to a young Ovechkin the gap becomes even bigger. Laine probably has the potential to be as good as post-2013 ovechkin in the future though. I wonder if the jets are ever going to make Laine the focal point on the powerplay ala Ovechkin. He sure has the shot

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
A lot of comparison have made between Ovechkin and Laine and it many thought that Jets won't be going far because it's built in the same way as Washington that haven't been able to do anything during Ovechkin's time. Now Jets with Laine are already in the WCF and have a great shot at the cup. Does this change the thought that you can't build winner team with the franchise winger?
The jets havnt ”built the team around Laine”, you....weirdo

Reactions: Plural

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Sure you can. All you need is another franchise winger, a franchise center, insane depth down the middle, then a couple of excellent wingers to boot, a Vezina caliber goalie and probably the best depth on D in the entire league. During Ovi career he never had the support Laine has, hell Laine isn't close to being the best player on the Jets, while Ovi had absolute mediocrity behind himself in the lineup apart from the rest of the 1st line and Syomin. The premise is absurd and lacks any kind of logical reasoning.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
OP with the primary assist on Let's crap on Laine and Toronto bois are just cashing in. Too easy.

Is there such a thing as neutral Laine (playoffs) thread?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I don't see the problem with Laine at all, really, tbh. Sure, he's not on Schieffle and Wheeler's level, but whatever. He scored at a 0.85 points per game rate in the regular season, and has scored at a 0.83 per game rate in the playoffs. Take into consideration the level of competition being tougher and it's pretty impressive, especially for his first ever playoffs.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I honestly don't think these two aren't that close to begin with. Different style and just lacks the impact ovechkin has on the game. I don't want to hear the Laine's only in his second year argument either because if you compare Laine to a young Ovechkin the gap becomes even bigger. Laine probably has the potential to be as good as post-2013 ovechkin in the future though. I wonder if the jets are ever going to make Laine the focal point on the powerplay ala Ovechkin. He sure has the shot

what has Ovechkin done again at age 20 hmmm... there shouldn't be any comparison at least in two years, note for OP too

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Laine has 10 points in 12 playoff games its not like he tearing it up in the playoffs. He isn't the Jets best player. Jets making the western conference finals doesn't prove anything regarding Laine or even Ovechkin other then this Jets team is better outside these wingers. I can only imagine a young Ovechkin on a team like these Jets.

On the other hand you could also imagine Laine with playmaker like Backstrom, not that Little or Stastny are bad (yes Laine played over 80 games with center incapable to make simplest pass), but neither are nowhere near prime Backstrom ability to feed elite sniper

Reason Jets are going to success is they have spread talent wisely, it has reduced Laine stats but is better for team overall

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Eh, serious replies to OP? Don't know their history? This isn't a genuine thread. The purpose is likely to get people to disagree with the OP. You should know he's a Laine hater.

Regardless, considering that he appears to be injured and it's his first playoffs at such an age - He's been doing fine.

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Swap Laine and Ovi on their current teams and I'm not sure the Caps make it out of round 2 but the Jets definitely make it to the conference finals. That should tell you something.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
On the other hand you could also imagine Laine with playmaker like Backstrom, not that Little or Stastny are bad (yes Laine played over 80 games with center incapable to make simplest pass), but neither are nowhere near prime Backstrom ability to feed elite sniper

Reason Jets are going to success is they have spread talent wisely, it has reduced Laine stats but is better for team overall

Laine plays on the PP with the guy who led the league in assists and scores a huge percentage of his goals on the PP with him. Let's not act like he doesn't have his own Backstrom on that team.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Honestly, I've been quite annoyed with Laine's play. He's pretty good with the puck but that's really all he's been doing recently. I swear if you could blend Laine's puck skills with Perreault's hustle, you'd have a Heart candidate.

Sorry my friend

Watch Laine game closely in his first game 7 division final.

Thats besides hos 10 points in 12 games.
Key goal against the wilds and 2 key assist in 2 wins against the Preds.

We want him to be the goal scorig machine.
But he is defensively sound and d first guy.
His ankle looks like not 100% aswell.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Laine has been like the 6th best player on the Jets these playoffs (and that might be generous) and it has somehow turned into narratives that he’s empirically better than both Ovechkin and Matthews. It’s embarrassing.

He is improving then.
He was called the Jets 8th best player in the middle of the season :laugh:

If you look at the Jets points leader

The top 4 should be leading the way with Laine being 5th not far behind.
If Laine is leading then something is wrong there with the leaders and vets of his team.

Thst is the way it should be now.
This is not Laines team yet, meaning he is not the go to guy yet.
And to think, that is crazy when the Jets lean on him more besides Schiefele and Wheeler.

One thing about Laine is , he is a puck magnet. He gets notice more because of this and he chip in points always.

I think he should be a little bit more selfish as he just made a few defensive plays for the Jets including coming back on 2 on 1. He likes to be the first forward back on a defensive plays. Sometimes even ahead of a Dman. I counted 4 times he was back playing defense for the Jets when dman is not around.

:)

Wonder what happens if he improves :laugh:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Dude...
The Jets are there because of Schief/Wheeler/Stastney/Helle/Buff

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Laine is doing fine this playoffs. For a guy that was just 19 a month ago. For his first playoffs he is putting up respectable numbers. 10 pts in 12 playoff games. His team has won 2 playoff rds and he was +2 with 1 Assist in game 7 last night. No defensive mistakes, contributed offensively while playing a team game of protecting the house. Not sure what the problem is here. As throughout his playoff career, winning has followed where ever he has played. Not sure why some want to hate on this kid. Laine is fine, the Jets are fine. Winnipeg fans are happy, and I as a NHL fan, is happy too with Laine and the Jets. Laine is well on his way to being the BPA. With at least another rd. of hockey guaranteed.

Reactions: behemolari

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
OP with the primary assist on Let's crap on Laine and Toronto bois are just cashing in. Too easy.

Is there such a thing as neutral Laine (playoffs) thread?
Ask the Jets fan on page one about why there can’t be just a Laine thread.

To the topic of the thread, Laine isn’t the go-to guy in Winnipeg yet. Completely different role than OV all these years. Having him on the second line makes it tough on other teams, but the top line is so dominant that a less skilled winger in that spot would probably still have them in the same position.

Jets fans can be comfortable knowing that once Wheeler slows down, they’ll have a more experienced, more developed Laine, who will undoubtedly be an upgrade. At this point in time, though, the team is definitely not built around him.

Reactions: CH3NO2

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Honestly, I've been quite annoyed with Laine's play. He's pretty good with the puck but that's really all he's been doing recently. I swear if you could blend Laine's puck skills with Perreault's hustle, you'd have a Heart candidate.
How often can that be said about super skilled players, though?

I’ve never heard issues about his drive or hustle though. I’d be more likely to believe that he isn’t 100%, or just fatigued by the long season at NHL level competition.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laine has 10 points in 12 playoff games its not like he tearing it up in the playoffs. He isn't the Jets best player. Jets making the western conference finals doesn't prove anything regarding Laine or even Ovechkin other then this Jets team is better outside these wingers. I can only imagine a young Ovechkin on a team like these Jets.

Laine isn't the Jets best player, but he still is a huge + for them, just him being on the ice opens up so much space for other Jets players.
Both Minnesota& Nashville cheated to cover for him leaving guys like Stastny& Scheifele open.

It's fun to see this thread considering the comments posted on Laine few years ago here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad