Laine doing it right away

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
A lot of comparison have made between Ovechkin and Laine and it many thought that Jets won't be going far because it's built in the same way as Washington that haven't been able to do anything during Ovechkin's time. Now Jets with Laine are already in the WCF and have a great shot at the cup. Does this change the thought that you can't build winner team with the franchise winger?

I don't understand this. The title says "Laine doing it right away", and then the OP talks about the Jets and Washington. It's a team game. Laine is going far in the playoffs, but he wouldn't be their without his teammates.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Ovechkin was by far the best player on the Caps from the second he was drafted. It took years for the Caps to put a competent D corps around him.

The only apt comparison between them is they are both pretty good at that goal scoring thing.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
A lot of comparison have made between Ovechkin and Laine and it many thought that Jets won't be going far because it's built in the same way as Washington that haven't been able to do anything during Ovechkin's time. Now Jets with Laine are already in the WCF and have a great shot at the cup. Does this change the thought that you can't build winner team with the franchise winger?

Didn't read the rest of the thread, but as a Jets fan who's seen every one of his games, I'll tell you my opinion. Laine is nowhere close to being the Jets best player. He's not even their best winger, and he wasn't really a factor in this series at all.

Reactions: third man in

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
I hate to say it but you are very wrong. Yeah, he hasn't had the best playoffs but it's obvious you don't really watch him.
I watch him all the time though, and I find the same thing TBH. I think he is vastly over-rated. He has a deadly shot and an under-rated pass, but he lacks in so many other areas. He is a tire fire in his own zone trying to get the puck out. He often can't keep up with other players, and he vas very little physicality.

He has lots of time to change and improve, and I hope he does.

Last edited:

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Laine is by far not the biggest reason Jets are where they are. So moot point.

Also the franchise winger vs center argument is a myth made up by the media and overblown on these boards. I have seen my team fall in the PO'S to other teams built around centers and it had nothing to do with whether they are built around centers or wingers. Luck, supporting cast, good coaching, calls going your way.....all things more important than what position your best player plays on the team.

member 147413

I hate to say it but Laine is pretty 1 dimensional. Average play maker, questionable defense, no physicality, and a turning radius of a semi. Best shot in the league though with plenty of time to round out his game.
This is not true at all. Laine is a very skilled playmaker, he’s got good defensive awareness and he does engage physically when the opportunity arises. His effort outside of the offensive zone is sometimes questionable though.

Reactions: snowkiddin

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Sorry my friend

Watch Laine game closely in his first game 7 division final.

Thats besides hos 10 points in 12 games.
Key goal against the wilds and 2 key assist in 2 wins against the Preds.

We want him to be the goal scorig machine.
But he is defensively sound and d first guy.
His ankle looks like not 100% aswell.

He's not playing bad but he's been a turnover machine at times and it drives me nuts. He's clearly come through with some big points and deserves kudos but it feels like he's playing like he was at the beginning of the year. I am waiting to see that Laine that's capable of getting around a guy or two and slamming it top corner. Doesn't help that Ehlers has been brutal.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
How are they built like Washington? Who thought that?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Ovechkin at the age of 20 scored 52 goals, over 100 points and won the Calder.

Laine's 20 yr old season will be next year. He's undeniably had more success in the NHL by 20. Ovechkin wasn't in the league obviously. That doesn't mean that he will be better, but it will be interesting to compare laine's season next year with Ovi's rookie season, as that will be the first time they can be compared at the same level of development in the NHL.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I watch him all the time though, and I find the same thing TBH. I think he is vastly over-rated. He has a deadly shot and an under-rated pass, but he lacks in so many other areas. He is a tire fire in his own zone trying to get the puck out. He often can't keep up with other players, and he vas very little physicality.

Laine was solid in his first game 7.
Watch it again ;)

But yeah besides

Captain
Assistant captain
Assistant captain
And the price deadline trade player

He was only 5th in scoring.

The top 4 above him are suppose to carry the load this year.
If you had Laine carrying the load. Then something is wrong.

And im glad he doesnt need to carry it. (Yet)

Reactions: Ippenator and Ares

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Doing what? If Ovechkin ever plays this mediocre his team doesn't get past the first round.

He's only 20 years old but he reminds me of Heatley more than anyone at this point.

Reactions: Fantomas

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

It is so refreshing to read a poster similar to myself and use objectivity and not blind loyalty when assessing a player on the team they cheer for. Kudos.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Laine has been a bit dissapointing, but much like Matthews this year and many other 20 year olds of the past, this isn't their time to carry the team and our expectations are too high.

On the other hand, imo Scheifele has emerged as a top 5 C in the game. We knew he was really good, but these playoffs show he's elite.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Going deep into the playoffs is nothing new for Laine. He's been good 2 ways for the Jets in the first 2 rds. 10 pts in 12 games for first time player in the NHL playoffs is nothing to sneeze at. Besides that, love how the Jets are playing. Easy team to root for. Can't wait to see more hockey from them, and I would not be surprised if Laine will make a further difference for the Jets in the next series against LV. 4 more wins and then the finals. It may happen. The Liiga MVP may have more to say in the upcoming series.

Reactions: Ippenator

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Doing what? If Ovechkin ever plays this mediocre his team doesn't get past the first round.

He's only 20 years old but he reminds me of Heatley more than anyone at this point.

Heatley spent his first two post-draft years in the NCAA. Laine has 80 NHL regular season goals.

Right now the puck isn't going in the net very often but he's getting his chances. A quick run of progress-to-his-mean on the shooting % and the critics will be quieted in short order.

Reactions: Ippenator

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Sorry, correction required, Heatley only spent his first post-draft year in the NCAA but he joined the NHL at age 20. And his rookie year at age 20 wasn't any better than Laine's at age 18.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Honestly, I don't think he's shown even close to his best in these playoffs. He can do better than this, if you look at performance rather than results. The results are terrific.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Laine has been a bit dissapointing, but much like Matthews this year and many other 20 year olds of the past, this isn't their time to carry the team and our expectations are too high.

On the other hand, imo Scheifele has emerged as a top 5 C in the game. We knew he was really good, but these playoffs show he's elite.
Maybe or maybe he's just a good center on a crazy hot streak. It's a small sample size. If we go by this playoff Guentzel is the best wing in the league. Either way he's looked good so far.

smd333

May 2, 2012
As a player I love the guy but it's clear he does one thing the wrong way. Beards

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Maybe or maybe he's just a good center on a crazy hot streak. It's a small sample size. If we go by this playoff Guentzel is the best wing in the league. Either way he's looked good so far.

when you combine it with his regular season play over the last two years. He is definitely showing why he deserves to be mentioned among the best C's in the league.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Honestly, I've been quite annoyed with Laine's play. He's pretty good with the puck but that's really all he's been doing recently. I swear if you could blend Laine's puck skills with Perreault's hustle, you'd have a Heart candidate.

Yet you have defended him vigoursly throughout the playoff campaign as if he was playing well...

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

"Now the Jets, the team Laine is on, are already in the WCF and have a great shot at the Cup".

You don't even notice Laine for long stretches of the game, if he wasn't playing the Jets would still be a really good team. Now Scheiffle, holy cow is he a beast.

Reactions: Critical
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad