TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
I don't think he has zero value. I'm sure there are teams that would offer a decent asset, but probably not what CBJ fans are hoping for. I do think it's a bad idea to sell low, so there's definitely a legit strategy of waiting and seeing what happens.

But I do feel some here are cavalierly saying "Oh we just will wait until his value goes up." But what if he gets injured again.... which isn't a huge stretch to imagine. Or ends up back in the mental health program.

I'm just saying there's risk for every decision and there's zero certainty that offers will be better later on. It's just a matter of weighing what the real offers are (no the ones here) and how they feel he is physically and mentally, and how he'll be physically and mentally if he's still in Columbus in January. Sure, it makes total sense to say "It's in his own best interest to play really well if he wants to get dealt." But mental health hardly ever falls into the "People make rationale choices with their own self-interest and well-being in mind"

see above... I'm not sure it's more likely at all, it may be, but the "if" in your 2nd clause is a big one

we still dont know why he went into the program, maybe he just dont want to play in Columbus and thats all

or its something else, but my point is, everything is just speculation

Last edited:

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
He's had at least 2 diagnosed concussions, and yes that means he's more likely to get another. Look at the hit that ultimately ended Marc Savard's career. It was barely anything, so it doesn't need to be a freak accident or a cheap shot or slew foot.

Bottom line: You can keep saying "When Laine is playing fully recovered" and "he might go 5 years without injuries" all you want, but the trade market isn't going to reflect that. Those may be your expectations, but you're not the one dealing the assets, using the cap space and paying the salary. So teams the offers that the real GMs give and the real GM will have to consider aren't going to reflect this unreasonable optimisim.
I'd be willing to bet half the league or more has had two concussions.
Using injuries that have not been career ending or considered chronic is unfair. I mean does jack Hughes have no value? Because he's had multiple injuries to his shoulders, a part of the body that seems to have a high rate of being re-injured, ( see Norris or is it Batherson?)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No I did not run a backgound check. I was excited by the fact that this trade rumour (or proposal really) was not, in appearence, coming from a habs fan and was looking for some reactions from both fanbases. Sorry for interrupting the regular progam with some random clickbait fake insider.

You don't need to apologize. People post links of potential trade ideas all the time (credible or not). The issue is when it doesn't fall in line with others think, it gets targeted.

I doubt the pieces involved from the actual GM's are out there for us to know. It's a lot of guess work from us fans and also the media.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'd be willing to bet half the league or more has had two concussions.
Using injuries that have not been career ending or considered chronic is unfair. I mean does jack Hughes have no value? Because he's had multiple injuries to his shoulders, a part of the body that seems to have a high rate of being re-injured, ( see Norris or is it Batherson?)
Sure, half the league has had 2 concussions. Notice I used the word "diagnosed" concussions though. Not the same thing, as a diagnosed concussion literally means the team has to follow certain procedures for that player, unless you think that teams are hiding the fact that 10 or 11 of it's players have concussions and the team isn't following the NHL rules. NHL concussion evaluation and management protocol for 2022-23 season | NHL.com

And of course he hasn't had a career ending injury, because his career hasn't ended. Who has argued that? Also, I specifically said that he has value, so why are you bringing up the straw man about Jack Hughes and "no value".

But sure, in your world a player who has missed significant time over the last few years with physical injuries and mental health issues has the same value as a player who hasn't had those issues.

In the real world teams do factor those in. It's also interesting you compare him to Batherson who has played 82 games each of the last 2 years. I tell you what... if Laine plays 164 games in the next 2 years I'll be the first to admit his trade value will be better... of course at that point he'll be a UFA but hey, those are the breaks.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
In the real world teams do factor those in. It's also interesting you compare him to Batherson who has played 82 games each of the last 2 years. I tell you what... if Laine plays 164 games in the next 2 years I'll be the first to admit his trade value will be better... of course at that point he'll be a UFA but hey, those are the breaks.
That poster obviously meant Josh Norris but couldn't remember which one of him or Batherson has had three surgeries on the same shoulder. Talk about strawmen.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Lol, for the past two seasons Laine wasn't even the best shooter on his team, maybe not even second best. (Marchenko, Chinakov) His shot quality has plummeted heavily from his glory days in Winnipeg and as sad it is to say, I don't think it's very realistic to assume he gets that thing going again.

I agree with you his shot isn't what it used to be, but it's still very good and the best shot in CBJ at least in my opinion. While Chinakhov has a wicked shot, I really haven't seen him shoot with the kind of accuracy regularly that would warrant claiming he's a better shooter than Laine.

Sadly you might be right about the future, I'm not sure either it's realistic to assume Laine's shot ever gets back to what it once was. He used to shoot crazy hard and accurate one-timers on passes most guys wouldn't even try to get a shot off on. Some of those shots and goals came from very awkward looking positions. I wouldn't be surprised if he's accumulated some wear and tear and just can't shoot quite like he could 5 or 6 years ago.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I agree with you his shot isn't what it used to be, but it's still very good and the best shot in CBJ at least in my opinion. While Chinakhov has a wicked shot, I really haven't seen him shoot with the kind of accuracy regularly that would warrant claiming he's a better shooter than Laine.

Sadly you might be right about the future, I'm not sure either it's realistic to assume Laine's shot ever gets back to what it once was. He used to shoot crazy hard and accurate one-timers on passes most guys wouldn't even try to get a shot off on. Some of those shots and goals came from very awkward looking positions. I wouldn't be surprised if he's accumulated some wear and tear and just can't shoot quite like he could 5 or 6 years ago.

Is it a matter of getting Laine's shot back to what it was or getting Laine back to the player he was in Winnipeg? He's become a more well rounded player in Columbus but I think part of that is to the detriment of his shot.

In a hypothetical world would Laine be more valuable playing with complementary linemates as a 45 goal 25 assist shoot first forget about defense guy or as a 25 goal 40 assist can play with anyone and hold his own from a defensive forward standpoint? I there's a small chance Laine can get back to a 40 goal guy while maintaining his puckhandling skills and overall play but more likely in my mind is a coach needs to pick which Laine they want.

Reactions: mattihp

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I was not aware, where did you get your information? "mental health related" does not elaborate much
The Athletic, Portzline, Columbus Dispatch... I'm pretty sure any article that is written about this entry or release notes this. Injuries, losing, loss of father... lots of stops and starts. He donated a LOT of money to local Mental HEalth initiatives in Columbus. There is plenty out there.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Because they have to get diagnosed by doctors to enter and leave the program. You think doctors are going to risk their license and livelihood for that?

so you know the diagnosis? no you dont
Because that’s not what the program is for? do we really need to argue over that? Wouldn’t it be easier to just apply simple logic over that and move on?

if simple logic is your thing..

The Athletic, Portzline, Columbus Dispatch... I'm pretty sure any article that is written about this entry or release notes this. Injuries, losing, loss of father... lots of stops and starts. He donated a LOT of money to local Mental HEalth initiatives in Columbus. There is plenty out there.

yes, we know he donated money and magazines threw ideas out from the hat is all we KNOW.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I still think Utah would be a good place for him. They do have a deep prospect pool.
A Maccelli-Bjugstad-Laine could end up being their top scoring line and give them 3 decent scoring lines with Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz & Crouse-Cooley-Guenther and a shutdown line of Kerfoot-McBain-Stenlund.

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
Is it a matter of getting Laine's shot back to what it was or getting Laine back to the player he was in Winnipeg? He's become a more well rounded player in Columbus but I think part of that is to the detriment of his shot.

In a hypothetical world would Laine be more valuable playing with complementary linemates as a 45 goal 25 assist shoot first forget about defense guy or as a 25 goal 40 assist can play with anyone and hold his own from a defensive forward standpoint? I there's a small chance Laine can get back to a 40 goal guy while maintaining his puckhandling skills and overall play but more likely in my mind is a coach needs to pick which Laine they want.
Laine's shot is not of the caliber it used to be so even if he played like you described I highly doubt he would crack 40 goals again. I sincerely do hope I'm wrong though.

However I still think that this is his true player identity and possibly one the reasons why his shot is not what it used to be is because he has put all emphasis on other aspects of the game. Why I also think he should remain a pure sniper is the fact that everytime he gets near the boards or a 1 on 1 battle, I can't help but except him to lose the puck or injure himself. For a big man he is very agile with his skates BUT if there's physical contact he just absolutely loses it.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine's shot is not of the caliber it used to be so even if he played like you described I highly doubt he would crack 40 goals again. I sincerely do hope I'm wrong though.

However I still think that this is his true player identity and possibly one the reasons why his shot is not what it used to be is because he has put all emphasis on other aspects of the game. Why I also think he should remain a pure sniper is the fact that everytime he gets near the boards or a 1 on 1 battle, I can't help but except him to lose the puck or injure himself. For a big man he is very agile with his skates BUT if there's physical contact he just absolutely loses it.
In order to shoot, you have to have teammates who allow you to shoot by passing the puck to good spots, defensemen who can get the puck out quickly, and you don't have to be the last one to leave because you have to get it out.

Laine's partners in Columbus (btw, Johnson played winger)

Lumii_20240807_151722063.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember Marner, Rantanen, Robertson, Pastrňák (he had a great offensive d-man and Boston is a system team ), Reinhart (btw Laine had more goals in 5v5), Panarin, Nylander, the Tkachuk brothers... or centers Matthews, MacKinnon, Crosby, Draisaitl, etc.

Yes, he played with Gaudreau, but Johnny is used to passing in front of the net, so he was making Patrick's game worse while he was improving his.

If we are comparing players, they must be on a level playing conditions. For example, Gaudreau had 115 points in Calgary, but not even 75 points next season in Columbus. How do you explain that?

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
In order to shoot, you have to have teammates who allow you to shoot by passing the puck to good spots, defensemen who can get the puck out quickly, and you don't have to be the last one to leave because you have to get it out.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember Marner, Rantanen, Robertson, Pastrňák (he had a great offensive d-man and Boston is a system team ), Reinhart (btw Laine had more goals in 5v5), Panarin, Nylander, the Tkachuk brothers... or centers Matthews, MacKinnon, Crosby, Draisaitl, etc.

Yes, he played with Gaudreau, but Johnny is used to passing in front of the net, so he was making Patrick's game worse while he was improving his.

If we are comparing players, they must be on a level playing conditions. For example, Gaudreau had 115 points in Calgary, but not even 75 points next season in Columbus. How do you explain that?
I'm not sure what your point is, obviously the players and the system you play with is hugely correlated to points/goals.

Only thing I'm talking about is Laine's shot quality and how it's not as quick, powerful and accurate as it was when he was younger. It's quite obvious to notice having watched him play in WPG and CBJ. When Laine played with the Jets he was pretty much always expected to score when he got the puck in his office on the power play. His shot was that amazing, and he would easily beat goalies clean with it.

He just doesn't score goals like that anymore, and while some of that can be attributed to poor systems and teammates, the eye-test tells you a lot more. I do still think that Laine is an elite goal scorer with a lethal shot, but unfortunately not quite in the same way that he used to be. Could be because of injury issues, or lack of practice and repetition and having full attention to trying to get other aspects of the game better.

I didn't really watch Gaudreau in Calgary so don't know him that well to have a reasonable opinion. I would guess he's not as fast anymore and thus is running often out of space because he's small and his swiftness is/was the only thing he could get himself out of danger etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad