TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
That one is well known at HFCBJ for developing absolutely unstoppable irrational grudges against players he doesn't like and Laine is one of them. Ask him about Bobrovsky versus Korpisalo sometime, for example.
My god, talk about “unstoppable irrational grudges”. I can’t get 1 post in? What are you “well known” for?

Don’t forget the fact that I was sharing relevant and CREDIBLE reports from team “reporters” showing that he in fact was an issue going back to his 1st handful of games with the CBJ.

Not to mention that some people have essentially looked at him favorably by him seemingly forcing the team to put him into a “leadership role” and as a “top 6 center”, simply because he felt he was capable of such roles, when in actuality he’s a DETRIMENT when placed into these roles.

Also, whether it’s Laine or others, they have come with long winded explanations why these “grudges” exist. They don’t improve the team, it’s that simple. Bobrovsky had an extremely high cap hit and crumbled under the pressure against the best teams in the league, primarily in the playoffs, when that team was built to win championships. Hilarious how you attempt to derail things, and it’s perfectly fine. Talking my opinions on Bobrovsky, something from YEARS ago, and not Merzlikins is even more ridiculous/hilarious.

Plenty of people see what Laine REALLY is as a player. Some are blinded by a variety of things I guess. Then again, some others are just here to talk HFBoards posters because they can’t (and don’t) talk hockey.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
My god, talk about “unstoppable irrational grudges”. I can’t get 1 post in? What are you “well known” for?

Don’t forget the fact that I was sharing relevant and CREDIBLE reports from team “reporters” showing that he was in fact was an issue going back to his 1st handful of games with the CBJ.

Not to mention that some people have essentially looked at him favorably by him seemingly forcing the team to put him into a “leadership role” and as a “top 6 center”, simply because he felt he was capable of such roles, when in actuality he’s a DETRIMENT when placed into these roles.

Also, whether it’s Laine or others, they have come with long winded explanations why these “grudges” exist. They don’t improve the team, it’s that simple. Bobrovsky had an extremely high cap hit and crumbled under the pressure against the best teams in the league, primarily in the playoffs, when that team was built to win championships. Hilarious how you attempt to derail things, and it’s perfectly fine. Talking my opinions on Bobrovsky, something from YEARS ago, and not Merzlikins is even more ridiculous/hilarious.

Plenty of people see what Laine REALLY is as a player. Some are blinded a variety of things I guess. Then again, some others are just here to talk HFBoards posters because they can’t (and don’t) talk hockey.
:nod:
pat.gif

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
24 pts on 46 games. He started the season in Winnipeg with a 3 pt game before his major injury that kept him out until he returned, at which point he was on a new team...
My whole point was his performance as a Blue Jacket. It is a fact that as a Blue Jacket he was under 0.5 PPG in his first season. You also initially said that 9 points in 18 games is under 0.5 PPG, so you might need to brush up on your math skills and reading comprehension.
Idk if you've ever played sports or anything of the sort, but usually it takes some time to learn your place on a roster. Everyone is different, not everyone can be dropped in and instantly mesh with everyone around them.
Big whoop, you can act condescending all you want and make every excuse possible, he was complete dog shit that year. He's still playing hockey, and played 45/56 games that year as a Blue Jacket.
On top of recovering from an injury that kept him out half of the season, it takes can take a week or two just to get back into the routine of the rigors of traveling and playing in the NHL.
He missed 11 games that year, stop making stuff up.
Idk, history?
The history that you broke down shows that he's expected to have a bad year if he gets traded to a new team. Since you're a professional athlete, you are saying it will take him over half a season to get adjusted on a team while also missing more games than ever. I'm assuming you'd think it'd be a miracle if he scored over 10 points given the circumstances right? Either way, you'll chalk it up to another outlier anyway.
The only seasons Laine has truly struggled have been seasons when he was struggling with injuries. Which like I just mentioned isn't just a Laine thing, it's hard to gain any consistency and routine when you're going back and forth from being with the team on the road to sitting at home rehabbing. To being dropped back into the middle of it.
I said it as a joke, but you seem to only value the games where he plays well while chalking up everything else to "injury/new team".
You're comparing two different metrics. You're comparing pts/season to points per game. Those aren't the same thing.

Rookie year - 73 gp - 64p = .87 PPG
Sophmore year - 82 gp - 70p = .85 PPG
3rd year - 82 gp - 50p - .60 PPG (down year)
4th year - 68 gp - 63p - .92 PPG
5th year - 1 gp - 3 p - 3 PPG
Average with the Jets .8 PPG

Trade

5th year - 45 gp - 21p - .46 PPG(down / injury year)
6th year - 56 gp - 56p - 1 PPG
7th year - 55 gp - 52p - .94 PPG
8th year - 18 gp - 9p - .5 PPG (down / injury year)

Average with CBJ .81 PPG

Career avg of .79 PPG

If you take out his two injury riddled seasons(64 games, 33pts .51ppg ) he's an .85ppg player for the other 416 games he's played.
Why would you take out his injury riddled seasons? It's part of the game and he's played those games, I expect you to know that as a high end professional athlete. If that's the case we should disregard any bad games a player had where he wasn't 100%, it would minimize Laine's 0.85 PPG which is still not PPG like you said.
You don't have to look at his best seasons. This is a business, he gets paid what he does because his ability to points on the board.
Which he hasn't done a good enough job to do it consistently.
So tell me, what's the outlier? .51 over 64 games or .85 over 416 games?
Might as well pull up his stats where he produces and ignore the games where he doesn't, I'm sure his numbers would look even better since you love cherry picking. Looking at tenures is more than fair. If his outliers are horrendous, that's on him.
Look, I'm not trying to say that he's going to rebound and perfectly healthy and everything will be fine. Or that He's going to have some massive trade haul. He's had injury issues over the last 4 seasons. But his ability to produce over those last 4 years hasn't changed. I would wager a ton of GMs think they if they can get him and he can stay healthy they can add a top line or top 6 talent for cheap right now. But it's up to Waddell to get what he's worth. And he's already said as much and if they don't get that value he's going to just keep him.
But you did say his history is a good indicator that he wouldn't struggle which is a blatant lie. If he has had injury issues for the past 4 years, that completely invalidates your point of "he can't produce when injured" since he was able to produce despite being injured.
If only there was someone else in the league who had a few years of not being able to stay healthy but was able to take the necessary extra time to let their body fully heal...
Oh wait there is. His name is Sean Monahan. He himself admitted he kept trying to rush back from injury instead of taking the necessary extra time to let his body heal. He did that and he went from being packaged with a first to get rid of him, to being worth a first.
No clue where you're going with this Monahan talk. Habs got paid a 1st to take on an extremely expensive contract, Monahan played well for a brief stint but then got injured for most of the season, then signed a dirt cheap contract and was healthy where he continued playing well. He literally got injured longterm with the Habs in his first year.

So yes, Laine can definitely bounce back (or not) and play a good chunk of games (or not), but when a team is giving up assets (not receiving a 1st like how the Habs did) there is a risk given his 8.7x2 contract. I never denied this and I definitely do see the appeal of Laine. But to claim that teams will ignore his inconsistent production in addition to his contract, and injury concerns is pure nonsense. He's not some established sure-fire PPG player like you're portraying him to be, a 60-70 point player is accurate.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Imagine a couple GMs talking to each other about a trade; the way HFboard users do.

Not interested in arguing about small details and technicalities when looking at the big picture. If it's ok to be shallow and willfully ignorant for others; don't complain when I do it.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I wonder if Buffalo comes looking at this since they have the cap space for the 2 years and have a glut of prospects. If the deal is a pick(s) and prospect(s) type, I would think they would be sniffing around it some. The risk is more than my appetite for it, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't look.

If Buffalo is off to a slow start and the goals arent being goaled, I can see them making a play for Laine. Maybe around 20 games in.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
If Buffalo is off to a slow start and the goals arent being goaled, I can see them making a play for Laine. Maybe around 20 games in.

It would be so weird but awesome to see Tage and Laine out there. They are very similar players. But they occupy the same spot in PP so not sure if it makes sense

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He's still a 65 point player with the Jackets no matter how you try to say otherwise. It's also extremely generous to say that given how he's very unreliable to play enough games to get 65 points. It's not like he's excellent defensively or makes up for it in other areas, offense is supposed to be his forte and 8.7x2 for a 65 point player when healthy is not good.
Looks like hes a PPG player when he plays.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
My whole point was his performance as a Blue Jacket. It is a fact that as a Blue Jacket he was under 0.5 PPG in his first season. You also initially said that 9 points in 18 games is under 0.5 PPG, so you might need to brush up on your math skills and reading comprehension.

Big whoop, you can act condescending all you want and make every excuse possible, he was complete dog shit that year. He's still playing hockey, and played 45/56 games that year as a Blue Jacket.

He missed 11 games that year, stop making stuff up.

The history that you broke down shows that he's expected to have a bad year if he gets traded to a new team. Since you're a professional athlete, you are saying it will take him over half a season to get adjusted on a team while also missing more games than ever. I'm assuming you'd think it'd be a miracle if he scored over 10 points given the circumstances right? Either way, you'll chalk it up to another outlier anyway.

I said it as a joke, but you seem to only value the games where he plays well while chalking up everything else to "injury/new team".

Why would you take out his injury riddled seasons? It's part of the game and he's played those games, I expect you to know that as a high end professional athlete. If that's the case we should disregard any bad games a player had where he wasn't 100%, it would minimize Laine's 0.85 PPG which is still not PPG like you said.

Which he hasn't done a good enough job to do it consistently.

Might as well pull up his stats where he produces and ignore the games where he doesn't, I'm sure his numbers would look even better since you love cherry picking. Looking at tenures is more than fair. If his outliers are horrendous, that's on him.

But you did say his history is a good indicator that he wouldn't struggle which is a blatant lie. If he has had injury issues for the past 4 years, that completely invalidates your point of "he can't produce when injured" since he was able to produce despite being injured.

No clue where you're going with this Monahan talk. Habs got paid a 1st to take on an extremely expensive contract, Monahan played well for a brief stint but then got injured for most of the season, then signed a dirt cheap contract and was healthy where he continued playing well. He literally got injured longterm with the Habs in his first year.

So yes, Laine can definitely bounce back (or not) and play a good chunk of games (or not), but when a team is giving up assets (not receiving a 1st like how the Habs did) there is a risk given his 8.7x2 contract. I never denied this and I definitely do see the appeal of Laine. But to claim that teams will ignore his inconsistent production in addition to his contract, and injury concerns is pure nonsense. He's not some established sure-fire PPG player like you're portraying him to be, a 60-70 point player is accurate.
Even if he’s a 60-70 point guy, the habs should be all in on him. 70 points would put him up there NS.

People on here are undervaluing PL.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Article in Ilta-Sanomat (Finland) suggested a return to Winnipeg is in the works. Also discussed his friendship with Anton Lundell but no idea how Zito would pull that off cap wise.

Wait, where/when was that? Didn't know he knows Lundell much but he's good friends with Barkov

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Makes sense. Sounds like they're looking for defensive defensemen and futures. We've got a few defensive blue liners not far away from the NHL and an already young D core. Plenty of futures. I wouldn't pay a ton but the price would definitely be weighted by how much CBJ would retain.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Article in Ilta-Sanomat (Finland) suggested a return to Winnipeg is in the works. Also discussed his friendship with Anton Lundell but no idea how Zito would pull that off cap wise.

Double retention required for Florida (and then some) since they have 700k ish available per puckpedia.

Or Bennett or Verhage with Laine at 50% which I doubt florida would do ( rightfully, it's just the easiest way to make the money work)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The notion that Patrick Laine is going to bring a return is pretty comical honestly. Columbus will either need to take bad cap back in a deal or attach assets to move him. At his best he's a more expensive Kuzmenko.

• Haha
Reactions: Fro and Lorenzo1000

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Not sure if Buffalo waits or if they kick the tires on this before the start of camp. The only thing missing from Adams' stated year-end press conference shopping list is a top 6 forward that he hasn't acquired yet.

• Haha

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Gambling on a player fresh out of the player assistance program feels like hiring a nanny that just got out of the psych ward.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad