TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I think it would have to be Laine and a 2nd for McGroarty.
We don't have a second and honestly at 35% (6 mil) retaining is already above the market rate for a mid 1st round pick which I already took into consideration with the idea. If there is a needed sweetener you are probably looking at one of Columbus' extra 4th round picks at next year's draft. as Columbus doesn't need lotto tickets right now in their prospect pool because we are getting so full in Cleveland we are starting to give away aging prospects.

Reactions: Jacob582

The Don Hughes

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
I’d love him on the second line with Kirby Dach and Alex Newhook. He would fit nicely with them.

I think we can give a decent package for him around Armia (like somebody said earlier) + Harris + The latest of our 1st pick next year (most likely the Florida pick, go watch the conditions on that trade if you want a headache).

Would give us a nice top 9 with players that complement each other on all 3 lines
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Laine
Roy - Dvorak - Anderson

On the plus side, we don’t need Columbus to retain, probably just to take Armia back (just one year left at 3,4M)
Yeah, the kind of package I could see Hughes wanting to give up at most. I don't see a 1st being included unless there's retention or if Columbus would take Anderson back. And to me, that 1st would have a type of game played condition.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Huge risk for any team willing to take a chance. Not only the money, but what happens if he slips again. Avs experienced it in the playoffs. I would take him for free, but wouldn't give up much of anything to take on that kind of risk.
Someone’s going to have to explain to me what “slips again” means in this context.

The Don Hughes

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
Huge risk for any team willing to take a chance. Not only the money, but what happens if he slips again. Avs experienced it in the playoffs. I would take him for free, but wouldn't give up much of anything to take on that kind of risk.
The difference here is massive between Laine and Nichushkin. One has 2 years left at 8.7 and one has 6 years left at 6.125. There's a few teams that can easily afford the 2 years term of risks. 6 years is a different situation.

Reactions: CBJx614

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
A GM out there is going to see that for that mid/late round first you can have a PPG player on a historically bad team who has the potential for up to 50 goals, big frame, has the unique trait he can legit score from anywhere on the ice that it breaks analytical models, good passer, a historically good power play merchant, defensive/2way game has improved the past few years at 5.5-6mil. There is a reason y'all are putting him in your top 6 and discussing him in depth. Players like that don't come on the market often, especially one in the prime of their career. All his injuries have not been repeats or nagging issues. Some GM out there will bite and say I can fix him and y'all will be declaring them a genius potentially in 6 months time if Laine gets back to form.
The only time Laine was ever a PPG player was 3 years ago when he played 2/3 of the year only.

Also, whoever has an expendable mid to late first round pick probably doesn’t have 8.7M available on the cap for a player that has on and off ice issues as well as health issues.

It might be a hard pill to swallow for Jacket’s fans but it’s going to be hard as is for the team to move out of that contract let alone expect a return a fills a need for the team. We need to be realistic here.

You’re discussing Laine as if he was a solid two-way player when in fact he’s lazy defensively, can’t carry a line and is one of the slowest player in the league all while having some sort of god complex thinking he’s one of the best player in the league and expect to be paid as such. Even if fully healthy I wouldn’t give that contract to the guy, let alone move positive assets to bring in on my team.

As for the bolded, you might be right. However, the chances that he doesn’t pan out as expected and that the gm regrets acquiring him and regretting it is much, much higher than Laine miraculously coming back healthy and playing a different (2-way) game and being committed both offensively and defensively on a regular basis.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Someone’s going to have to explain to me what “slips again” means in this context.

Kinda obvious, no?. Goes back to the Player Assistance Program for whatever it was that first got him there be it substances, mental health episode etc.

The difference here is massive between Laine and Nichushkin. One has 2 years left at 8.7 and one has 6 years left at 6.125. There's a few teams that can easily afford the 2 years term of risks. 6 years is a different situation.

Apples to oranges.

Nuke is a way better and more valuable player on the ice but he seems to have serious drugs issues and could be a flight risk on top of being suspended. Even with two years, I don't think teams woudl touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
That video of Laine dryland training with those football players...I get it, he's been away, but he doesn't look athletic at all. He looks like those competition hobbyhorse girls. I've defended him for years but that video changed my opinion.

I'm sure this is in jest but, imagine how bad those NFL players would look trying to skate and crossover on ice with skates....

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Wish him the best and hope he can turn his career around…. But don’t want him anywhere near the Jets for what it will take to acquire him with a big chuck of his contract retained.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I still stand by my conspiracy theory that Winnipeg and Columbus has had a trade "in queue" for weeks now and once Laine leaves the program Winnipeg will reach out to him and let their staff evaluate him. Once they are happy I still see them executing the trade which is:

To Winnipeg: Laine (35% Retention)
To Columbus: McGroarty

To me there was so much noise for McGroarty to be traded at the draft yet nothing came of it. But both parties have skin in the game and familiar ties to make this an all around win/win.

To Winnipeg: The problems Laine experienced are now out of the locker room (Wheeler) and also a bone to throw to Ehlers to stay on past this year. Not only that a severely reduced Laine at around 5.5-5.7 mil gives them a bit more fire power while still getting them cap compliance. The issues with Laine in Columbus have been freak accidents and also being in a position where he felt like he needed to do more than what he does best. Going back to a playoff/veteran team will let him get back to what he does best...put pucks in the back of nets and not be a playmaker/line driver like what he felt like he had to be in Columbus. Also 6+mil on retention is on the higher end of what a mid-first round pick would be going for right now (usually 4-5mil) so the value is there.

To Columbus: McGroarty has plenty of ex-Wolverine players on the team and in the prospect pool. Hell it was even stated McGroarty would love to come to Columbus to be with his ex-teammates including linemate Galvin Brindley. Not only that if there's a path to get into the league it would be much quicker for him to go through Columbus than Winnipeg right now. This is a very important year for Kent Johnson but having McGroarty in the system adds a bit more depth for Columbus already deep prospect pool which Columbus might want to have on hand incase they start to feel Kent might be too light for what their new direction is.
I don't think there is any chance Laine comes back to Winnipeg whilst Scheif the bully is still there

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
The only time Laine was ever a PPG player was 3 years ago when he played 2/3 of the year only.

Also, whoever has an expendable mid to late first round pick probably doesn’t have 8.7M available on the cap for a player that has on and off ice issues as well as health issues.

It might be a hard pill to swallow for Jacket’s fans but it’s going to be hard as is for the team to move out of that contract let alone expect a return a fills a need for the team. We need to be realistic here.

You’re discussing Laine as if he was a solid two-way player when in fact he’s lazy defensively, can’t carry a line and is one of the slowest player in the league all while having some sort of god complex thinking he’s one of the best player in the league and expect to be paid as such. Even if fully healthy I wouldn’t give that contract to the guy, let alone move positive assets to bring in on my team.

As for the bolded, you might be right. However, the chances that he doesn’t pan out as expected and that the gm regrets acquiring him and regretting it is much, much higher than Laine miraculously coming back healthy and playing a different (2-way) game and being committed both offensively and defensively on a regular basis.

You definitely don't watch him.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You definitely don't watch him.
I don’t? Sure. Let’s try an hypothetical. Let’s say Laine right now didn’t have a contract and he was UFA;

By raise of hand, who here would give Laine a 8.7M a year contract right now and be happy with the terms? No one? Right!

Then why would you be expecting a team to not only acquire this contract but also pay premium assets while doing so.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I don’t? Sure. Let’s try an hypothetical. Let’s say Laine right now didn’t have a contract and he was UFA;

By raise of hand, who here would give Laine a 8.7M a year contract right now and be happy with the terms? No one? Right!

Then why would you be expecting a team to not only acquire this contract but also pay premium assets while doing so.

You said he's one of the slowest players in the league and is lazy defensively. You said he thinks he's got a god complex.

This nonsense tells me you don't watch him and you're influenced by weird hfboards lore.

He was the only Jackets player not on minuses 5 on 5 previous season. He IS a solid two way player as much as a winger should be. And if you watched his interviews or had an idea of his personality, you wouldn't think god complex because he's his own worst critic .

Laine press conference if they don't win a game

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Once you start getting around 4-5 mil GMs will be asking for a first. Laine will not be treated as a cap dump because we have cap room. There is no incentive for us to hold money right now unless its a player of critical need like a shutdown Dman or worth our time to retain (like a 1st round pick or equivalents).
No team is trading a shutdown d man for laine, I promise

The perfect fit is Boston for his career. Can they give up the prospect and pick for a retained Laine?

What about Laine at 50% retained for Zacha straight up?
They already tried that with hall and couldn’t trade him out fast enough. I think they learned their lesson on a big ticket underperforming winger who hoped he could catch lightning in a bottle but never did

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Teams had several months to discuss a Laine trade with Columbus, so now that Laine is out of the program, I imagine the trade should be happening soon

Reactions: Marioesque

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Habs seem a good trade partner, have picks and prospects a plenty.... Would also be a good fit age wise... But not sure if he could handle the pressure. High risk, high reward type deal, I'd roll the dice on it

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Some may value him higher, but from the Canucks POV I'd offer Garland, 2025 1st, and prospect not named Lekkerimaki or Wallander for Laine @4.8.

I could see something like that working. Garland being a feisty type isn't a need but it is a potentially useful want.

I think Garland + late 1st + E Pettersson (the D prospect) for Laine @ $4.8m is the type of heavy retention for value deal that Columbus should be doing. But I'm somewhat skeptical that they will, for whatever reason (ownership?) teams seem loathe to fully weaponize retention.

The Ducks are one of the few teams that can afford the cap hit outright. Verbeek stated an interest in adding a top six right shot scorer, did not land one in FA. That said, I can see some hesitance to add a player with questionable effort when building a young team. The fit is there in theory, just a matter of whether the team actually wants the player.

There's no questionable effort with Laine, not as a Jacket. He is the best backchecker on the team. There's a problem with Laine preferring to be the primary puck carrier out there, which makes finding the right linemates somewhat tricky. But the work is there.

I hope the experience in PAP actually made him less passionate about being Mr. Everything on the ice, he should want to be a great triggerman again and drop the Barkov impression.

I only disagree to the extent that Laine will not want to be in training camp with Columbus. If he forces a trade then Waddell's options become much worse.

Laine is under contract, the Jackets can just suspend his contract and not pay him if he doesn't show up, which solves the issue itself.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
There's no questionable effort with Laine, not as a Jacket. He is the best backchecker on the team. There's a problem with Laine preferring to be the primary puck carrier out there, which makes finding the right linemates somewhat tricky. But the work is there.

I hope the experience in PAP actually made him less passionate about being Mr. Everything on the ice, he should want to be a great triggerman again and drop the Barkov impression.

Well said. I also wish he'd do exactly that and I think he will when there's someone else in the line who is better two way so he can trust the other guy to cover D more.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well said. I also wish he'd do exactly that and I think he will when there's someone else in the line who is better two way so he can trust the other guy to cover D more.

To be clear, I mainly want him to stop trying to be the primary puck carrier. The defensive skew I'm not sure about one way or the other, whether it's hurting his goal scoring.

Being a good defensive player often results in having the puck more which leads to more goals. Laine's main issue I think is that he's carrying it too much (which makes it hard to get open and shoot) and turning it over too much in traffic. Hard to score goals that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad