TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I suspect at a minimum a 1st is going to have to be involved for a pure picks-and-prospects package. Not a high one, but a 1st nonetheless. The reason is that depth picks are not something we need - the prospect pool is already deep enough that we've been giving folks away. So adding more does nothing valuable for this team - and therefore about the only practical approach left is "crank that Value Required knob as high as it will go and see who breaks first".
The only teams that have cap space and a late 1st are Carolina, Calgary, Montreal (maybe), and Chicago. Calgary we can probably eliminate. Gonna be a tough needle to thread.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The only teams that have cap space and a late 1st are Carolina, Calgary, Montreal (maybe), and Chicago. Calgary we can probably eliminate. Gonna be a tough needle to thread.
For sure Calgary has no interest in contending. They’re not going to give up picks to take on Laine’s contract for two years where the team will be irrelevant with or without Laine.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I suspect at a minimum a 1st is going to have to be involved for a pure picks-and-prospects package. Not a high one, but a 1st nonetheless. The reason is that depth picks are not something we need - the prospect pool is already deep enough that we've been giving folks away. So adding more does nothing valuable for this team - and therefore about the only practical approach left is "crank that Value Required knob as high as it will go and see who breaks first".

What do you think Columbus will retain cap wise?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Probably. It is possible we end up with "two 2nds and a B prospect" or whatnot, but I wouldn't call that the most acceptable scenario. That'd be a fallback position.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What do you think Columbus will retain cap wise?
Depends on the other team and how things work out deal wise but I see no reason why up to the 50% max wouldn't be possible. I'd think that'd be more in service of making sure a much better return comes in, though - if Waddell pulls off a "two 2nds" return with that retention, I'll potentially be calling for him to be fired. ;)

Reactions: ps241

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Probably. It is possible we end up with "two 2nds and a B prospect" or whatnot, but I wouldn't call that the most acceptable scenario. That'd be a fallback position.
Unfortunately for Columbus, Laine having 2 years left before UFA is the worst scenario for making a deal. If he was a UFA after this year then teams could negotiate a deal with an extension in place. Now, any team acquiring him has to do so not knowing if he'll be around after 2 years. Utah might want to make a splash and pull the trigger but other teams are going to be leery. Just my opinion.

The Don Hughes

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
Pretty sure Hughes will kick the tires at the very least.
Habs have the room as far as the cap goes and can tolerate it for 2 years.
If anything he could offer a combo of Harris/Strubble +some salary like a Dvorak/Armia and a pick. Can even put that pick conditional on games played as high as a 2nd.
Low risk with good potential, but I don't see him paying really more than that.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I still stand by my conspiracy theory that Winnipeg and Columbus has had a trade "in queue" for weeks now and once Laine leaves the program Winnipeg will reach out to him and let their staff evaluate him. Once they are happy I still see them executing the trade which is:

To Winnipeg: Laine (35% Retention)
To Columbus: McGroarty

To me there was so much noise for McGroarty to be traded at the draft yet nothing came of it. But both parties have skin in the game and familiar ties to make this an all around win/win.

To Winnipeg: The problems Laine experienced are now out of the locker room (Wheeler) and also a bone to throw to Ehlers to stay on past this year. Not only that a severely reduced Laine at around 5.5-5.7 mil gives them a bit more fire power while still getting them cap compliance. The issues with Laine in Columbus have been freak accidents and also being in a position where he felt like he needed to do more than what he does best. Going back to a playoff/veteran team will let him get back to what he does best...put pucks in the back of nets and not be a playmaker/line driver like what he felt like he had to be in Columbus. Also 6+mil on retention is on the higher end of what a mid-first round pick would be going for right now (usually 4-5mil) so the value is there.

To Columbus: McGroarty has plenty of ex-Wolverine players on the team and in the prospect pool. Hell it was even stated McGroarty would love to come to Columbus to be with his ex-teammates including linemate Galvin Brindley. Not only that if there's a path to get into the league it would be much quicker for him to go through Columbus than Winnipeg right now. This is a very important year for Kent Johnson but having McGroarty in the system adds a bit more depth for Columbus already deep prospect pool which Columbus might want to have on hand incase they start to feel Kent might be too light for what their new direction is.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I still stand by my conspiracy theory that Winnipeg and Columbus has had a trade "in queue" for weeks now and once Laine leaves the program Winnipeg will reach out to him and let their staff evaluate him. Once they are happy I still see them executing the trade which is:

To me there was so much noise for McGroarty to be traded at the draft yet nothing came of it. But both parties have skin in the game and familiar ties to make this an all around win/win.

To Winnipeg: The problems Laine experienced are now out of the locker room (Wheeler) and also a bone to throw to Ehlers to stay on past this year. Not only that a severely reduced Laine at around 5.5-5.7 mil gives them a bit more fire power while still getting them cap compliance. The issues with Laine in Columbus have been freak accidents and also being in a position where he felt like he needed to do more than what he does best. Going back to a playoff/veteran team will let him get back to what he does best...put pucks in the back of nets and not be a playmaker/line driver like what he felt like he had to be in Columbus.

To Columbus: McGroarty has plenty of ex-Wolverine players on the team and in the prospect pool. Hell it was even stated McGroarty would love to come to Columbus to be with his ex-teammates including linemate Galvin Brindley. Not only that if there's a path to get into the league it would be much quicker for him to go through Columbus than Winnipeg right now. This is a very important year for Kent Johnson but having McGroarty in the system adds a bit more depth for Columbus already deep prospect pool which Columbus might want to have on hand incase they start to feel Kent might be too light for what their new direction is.
Laine would be nice, but that trade isn't happening from Winnipeg's point of view.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
If anything he could offer a combo of Harris/Strubble +some salary like a Dvorak/Armia and a pick. Can even put that pick conditional on games played as high as a 2nd.
Yeah, no gm is paying a 1st, unless it’s rob blake, Columbus just needs to find the sucker (Blake).

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
What kind of retention is attached to Laine to warrant a 1st+?

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
What kind of retention is attached to Laine to warrant a 1st+?
Once you start getting around 4-5 mil GMs will be asking for a first. Laine will not be treated as a cap dump because we have cap room. There is no incentive for us to hold money right now unless its a player of critical need like a shutdown Dman or worth our time to retain (like a 1st round pick or equivalents).

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Once you start getting around 4-5 mil GMs will be asking for a first. Laine will not be treated as a cap dump because we have cap room. There is no incentive for us to hold money right now unless its a player of critical need like a shutdown Dman or worth our time to retain (like a 1st round pick or equivalents).
Sure, but look at it from another team’s point of view. Why would anyone pay a first + or any valuable assets in any shape or form for Laine right now?

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
excellent avatar, sir 🤏🎩

• Love
Reactions: The Don Hughes

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Unfortunately for Columbus, Laine having 2 years left before UFA is the worst scenario for making a deal. If he was a UFA after this year then teams could negotiate a deal with an extension in place. Now, any team acquiring him has to do so not knowing if he'll be around after 2 years. Utah might want to make a splash and pull the trigger but other teams are going to be leery. Just my opinion.
I think it's pretty ideal timing. GMDW has all the time in the world. If there's no good deals to be made, insert Laine (a PPG winger) into the lineup. If he's bad, rental next year. If he continues to be a PPG player; like he's been since being here; his value goes through the roof.

Not good timing for other teams though, they can overpay by a little now (whatever that is) or overpay a by a lot if he is back to his usual self.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I think it's pretty ideal timing. GMDW has all the time in the world. If there's no good deals to be made, insert Laine (a PPG winger) into the lineup. If he's bad, rental next year. If he continues to be a PPG player; like he's been since being here; his value goes through the roof.

Not good timing for other teams though, they can overpay by a little now (whatever that is) or overpay a by a lot if he is back to his usual self.
He’s never been that even when healthy.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Sure, but look at it from another team’s point of view. Why would anyone pay a first + or any valuable assets in any shape or form for Laine right now?
A GM out there is going to see that for that mid/late round first you can have a PPG player on a historically bad team who has the potential for up to 50 goals, big frame, has the unique trait he can legit score from anywhere on the ice that it breaks analytical models, good passer, a historically good power play merchant, defensive/2way game has improved the past few years at 5.5-6mil. There is a reason y'all are putting him in your top 6 and discussing him in depth. Players like that don't come on the market often, especially one in the prime of their career. All his injuries have not been repeats or nagging issues. Some GM out there will bite and say I can fix him and y'all will be declaring them a genius potentially in 6 months time if Laine gets back to form.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

I only disagree to the extent that Laine will not want to be in training camp with Columbus. If he forces a trade then Waddell's options become much worse.

Gabouch04

Jun 25, 2023
I’d love him on the second line with Kirby Dach and Alex Newhook. He would fit nicely with them.

I think we can give a decent package for him around Armia (like somebody said earlier) + Harris + The latest of our 1st pick next year (most likely the Florida pick, go watch the conditions on that trade if you want a headache).

Would give us a nice top 9 with players that complement each other on all 3 lines
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Laine
Roy - Dvorak - Anderson

On the plus side, we don’t need Columbus to retain, probably just to take Armia back (just one year left at 3,4M)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

To Winnipeg: The problems Laine experienced are now out of the locker room (Wheeler) and also a bone to throw to Ehlers to stay on past this year. Not only that a severely reduced Laine at around 5.5-5.7 mil gives them a bit more fire power while still getting them cap compliance. The issues with Laine in Columbus have been freak accidents and also being in a position where he felt like he needed to do more than what he does best. Going back to a playoff/veteran team will let him get back to what he does best...put pucks in the back of nets and not be a playmaker/line driver like what he felt like he had to be in Columbus. Also 6+mil on retention is on the higher end of what a mid-first round pick would be going for right now (usually 4-5mil) so the value is there.

I think it would have to be Laine and a 2nd for McGroarty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad