Seravalli: Lafreniere and Rangers working 8-year deal worth more than $8 million AAV

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Except you then have to replace both players. They likely won't be paid league minimum, so even at a low $2M each, you still need to find another $4M to cut.
Trouba is a 3rd pair defenseman for us.

Lindgren, sure, I don't disagree. Rangers have to figure out their LHD headed into next season.

Not sure I'd be as up for letting Lindgren walk as some Rangers fans (we have a lot of irrational fans that have decided he's finished because he had a bad season last year), but we also don't have a big extension to give out to like a #4, so he'd have to take pretty much no more than he makes right now.

Team can easily find some money elsewhere though. Smith is making 3.75M this season and a UFA next season. Perreault is almost certainly going straight to the NHL, and probably top 6 right away with how good he's looking at BC. That saves 2.75-3M.

Kakko has been talked about as a player who might be traded. He makes 2.4M. We're probably going to need room for at least one of Othmann or Berard (NHL ready top 9 wingers), so that's like 1.5M saved if you make a simple swap there. Quick likely gets replaced by a league minimum backup, so that saves 300-400k. That's at least 4M, maybe up to 4.5M, just from those three moves.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Trouba is a 3rd pair defenseman for us.

Lindgren, sure, I don't disagree. Rangers have to figure out their LHD headed into next season.

Not sure I'd be as up for letting Lindgren walk as some Rangers fans (we have a lot of irrational fans that have decided he's finished because he had a bad season last year), but we also don't have a big extension to give out to like a #4, so he'd have to take pretty much no more than he makes right now.

Team can easily find some money elsewhere though. Smith is making 3.75M this season and a UFA next season. Perreault is almost certainly going straight to the NHL, and probably top 6 right away with how good he's looking at BC. That saves 2.75-3M.

Kakko has been talked about as a player who might be traded. He makes 2.4M. We're probably going to need room for at least one of Othmann or Berard (NHL ready top 9 wingers), so that's like 1.5M saved if you make a simple swap there. Quick likely gets replaced by a league minimum backup, so that saves 300-400k. That's at least 4M, maybe up to 4.5M, just from those three moves.
I like Perreault but we're asking a lot of him to just come in next season and be a steady top 9 in the line-up. Until Othmann plays a more responsible game he's not making the team playing in a full season. It's easy to point to 2 players and say we have 2 ELC deals right there in our top 9 but it might not work out like that.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I like Perreault but we're asking a lot of him to just come in next season and be a steady top 9 in the line-up. Until Othmann plays a more responsible game he's not making the team playing in a full season. It's easy to point to 2 players and say we have 2 ELC deals right there in our top 9 but it might not work out like that.
Berard is also an option, and I'm sure Drury will bring in a cheap vet or two. Maybe he re-signs Vesey. It may not be an ideal solution, but we can only stretch the cap space so far.

I'm more concerned about the 2LD than the 2RW or 3RW. We'll have about 33 mil in cap space, and Shesty, Laf and Miller will take up about 26 mil, leaving us 7 mil for Cuylle, Jones, and at least 4 other players.

Moving Trouba will certainly help the situation, but it's anyone's guess how much we'll save by doing so. If we can move the entire 8 mil (no retention and no significant contracts coming back) and replace him with Mancini, that gives us the space we need to properly fill out the rest of the roster.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Right, it may not work out like that, but I gave three players for two spots. And why do we need to pay so much for that slot? Is Smith even a second line winger? How good was Wheeler? How good was Roslovic? At this point it just makes sense to use those two available RW slots, assuming Kakko and Smith aren’t back, on two of the prospects who’d be on ELC’s.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This would be really smart. Lock him up instead of doing some stupid bridge thing and then giving him more. He's only 23 and salaries go up at that age, not down.
We already gave him the bridge deal. That's what he's playing on now. We didn't have the cap space to sign him to a longer-term deal, and he probably wouldn't have taken it if we did. He is much better positioned to cash in now than he was a year ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad