Seravalli: Lafreniere and Rangers working 8-year deal worth more than $8 million AAV

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not bad for a 50 point guy

And their fans complain about Igor getting $12m :)
They both deserve their money.

Those who complain about Igor are ungrateful, but Lafreniere has probably been our second or third best forward since the start of last year, including the playoffs. But he doesn’t get PP1 time because that unit works and is never changed. It deflates his point totals. Lafreniere had 57 last year and nearly all of it was even strength.

That series against the Panthers cost the Rangers an extra 3 million dollars a year lol. Sorry guys.
That was the best hockey of the stretch, but he’s been playing great since the start of last year. That wasn’t anything far above the other games.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Only because of injuries, he was meant to start the year on the 3rd line until Chytil and then Kakko went down.

Saving the coaches from themselves
No, he started with Panarin from game 1. It was Panarin, Chytil, and Laf. Trocheck was moved around Game 10 or so to the 2nd line when Chytil was out of the lineup and they never looked back.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

Those who complain about Igor are ungrateful, but Lafreniere has probably been our second or third best forward since the start of last year, including the playoffs. But he doesn’t get PP1 time because that unit works and is never changed. It deflates his point totals. Lafreniere had 57 last year and nearly all of it was even strength.

That was the best hockey of the stretch, but he’s been playing great since the start of last year. That wasn’t anything far above the other games.
How much did Laf play with Panarin ?

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Hey there -- I've seen you in other main board Ranger threads and I've been impressed by the way you post -- not only do you seem knowledgeable (and a good communicator) but I've also seen you intentionally go out of your way to be respectful which is hard to do sometimes given the average level of discourse that sometimes happens on these boards. Thank you for that.

All that said, you're a Rangers fan so I'm assuming you watch all or most of their games, if so I'm assuming you're familiar with Laf and his development over the years.

I'm curious about the following: Would you describe Laf as a true (or potential) power forward? From my side (ie not watching as many Rangers games), it seems to me like Laf's developed into a pretty decent 200 foot player who should be good for 35-40 goals most years while also throwing the body around and being hard to play against. These days I feel like this is a more unique skillset though of course this blend of skills was much more common 10 or 15 years ago. In present day you have players like the Tkachuk kids, Lawson Crouse, arguably Tom Wilson -- probably I'm forgetting some other players but either way it's inarguable that the list isn't very long.

Thanks in advance! Looking fwd to hearing your thoughts on this if / when you see this post

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
the kid is a late bloomer. good for him for all the flak that he caught.

this will put the rangers at all in. the cap is gonna tear them apart.

I'm not sure i'd consider an "exceptional status" and "1st overall NHL draft selection" a real "late bloomer". :laugh:

I know what you mean, and it's taken him longer than you'd expect to find his scoring ability at the NHL level. But "late bloomer" doesn't feel like the right label for an ultra hyped top draft pick. :dunno:

Anyway...this seems like a huge gamble for the Rangers. I'd want to hold off and see how this season is looking later into the year at least, before i put ink on paper to sign this sort of deal. It's hard to imagine he'll blow up to something that'll cost you more than $8M x 8 this year. But it seems more within the realm of possibility that last season was a bit of a blip with terrific chemistry on a line with a phenomenal offensive talent, and could slip back a bit, to be worth nowhere near $8M.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Wouldn't it just be better to sign him to a 2/3 year bridge deal and if he proves he is worth 10M by the end of it so be it?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How much did Laf play with Panarin ?
He did, but are you really going to tell me that a 1OA is some unskilled bum and is being force fed points by another player? Seems hard to believe.

If it took Panarin to unlock Lafreniere’s best, there’s nothing wrong with that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hey there -- I've seen you in other main board Ranger threads and I've been impressed by the way you post -- not only do you seem knowledgeable (and a good communicator) but I've also seen you intentionally go out of your way to be respectful which is hard to do sometimes given the average level of discourse that sometimes happens on these boards. Thank you for that.

All that said, you're a Rangers fan so I'm assuming you watch all or most of their games, if so I'm assuming you're familiar with Laf and his development over the years.

I'm curious about the following: Would you describe Laf as a true (or potential) power forward? From my side (ie not watching as many Rangers games), it seems to me like Laf's developed into a pretty decent 200 foot player who should be good for 35-40 goals most years while also throwing the body around and being hard to play against. These days I feel like this is a more unique skillset though of course this blend of skills was much more common 10 or 15 years ago. In present day you have players like the Tkachuk kids, Lawson Crouse, arguably Tom Wilson -- probably I'm forgetting some other players but either way it's inarguable that the list isn't very long.

Thanks in advance! Looking fwd to hearing your thoughts on this if / when you see this post
Thank you for the kind words!

To answer your question, I wouldn’t call him a power forward. I think he’s a skilled forward who has some of those hard elements in his game.

He’s not Panarin or Hughes who are pretty much pure skill players, but isn’t a Tkachuk either who have that true throwback style. He’s somewhere in-between, probably closer to Tkachuk’s, but still towards the middle of both sets, if that makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad