Seravalli: Lafreniere and Rangers working 8-year deal worth more than $8 million AAV

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
He broke the entire expansion draft

So he got the one thing right that no one, including the league, wanted him to get right? Good stuff

Laf and Byfield are examples of why patience is needed. Yes Stutzle, Raymond and Sanderson were great from the start but that top 5 is amazing. Poor NJ and Winnipeg.

?

NJ got Mercer and something they used in a trade for Timo Meier, lol. Holtz is whatever, some of that has to do with Jack Hughes progressing into the shooter he has post the Holtz draft selection but the logic of the pick was correct. It's not like they "Tyler Boucher"'d the pick

Last edited:
Reactions: vtdevils2k

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Laf and Byfield are examples of why patience is needed. Yes Stutzle, Raymond and Sanderson were great from the start but that top 5 is amazing. Poor NJ and Winnipeg.
Lafréniere has improved every season while a player like Kakko 6 seasons later and is still the same player besides he is better defensively. Other than that Kakko hasn't. Patience is great but if the player doesn't have positive signs of progression then that patience is just a waste of time. Lafréniere is worth that contract while a player like Kakko who also was an top 5 pick, isn't

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
He did, that was years ago.

Based on this reaction it seems you were aware Seravalli broke the expansion draft. So I suppose when you said "The problem is Seravalli is NEVER right" and "I legitimately can't remember the last time was right about anything" (both direct quotes) you just blatantly lied multiple times for no reason at all.

You do you I guess

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
From bust to PAID

Got to feel good for him. Took him a while but he’s looking like the star many of us expected

Lafréniere has improved every season while a player like Kakko 6 seasons later and is still the same player besides he is better defensively. Other than that Kakko hasn't. Patience is great but if the player doesn't have positive signs of progression then that patience is just a waste of time. Lafréniere is worth that contract while a player like Kakko who also was an top 5 pick, isn't
Kakko has been pretty terrible since he entered the league.

It was funny watching Rangers fans telling us he’s just “unlucky” for years

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
From bust to PAID

Got to feel good for him. Took him a while but he’s looking like the star many of us expected

Kakko has been pretty terrible since he entered the league.

It was funny watching Rangers fans telling us he’s just “unlucky” for years

I wish Kakko was gone. He is not that good. Marcel Hossa 2.0 defensive forward that can not score

Reactions: nbwingsfan

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
To me, Lafreniere seems like a really hard worker. Could've been a player that showed up on "worst draft busts" lists but instead kept striving to get better. Hopefully, getting the bag doesn't change this.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Was it Lavy (of all coaches) who finally gave him big minutes?
1728744151943.png

He got the most EV ice time of his career under Lavi, but I wouldn't characterize it as Laf breaking out because Lavi gave him more ice time.

It's more about Laf clicking with Panarin. He had been given opportunities in the top 6 before, albeit limited ones, and had failed to take advantage of them. Last year, he took full advantage of the opportunity and got increased ice time as a result.

An argument can be made that Gallant or even Quinn should have given him more leash in order to develop him faster, but none of the coaches have given him significant PP time. That's not a reflection on Laf, though. It's simply a function of the Rangers having a good, established PP.

Reactions: PainForShane

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I know he turned it around but i thought they could get him for 7-7.5
Probably if they signed that instead of the bridge. But now you're locking up UFA years on a rising cap. Even if you say he's a 50-60 point player and doesn't have another level/will never see powerplay production, that's what they're going to get paid. Roughly 8 million going forward.

I see a lot of fans hoping NYR over pays for him. Don't really understand the hate he recieved. Like are fans mad NYR didn't trade him when his value was lower? Are fans mad they can't use the "he's worse than Yakupov" without looking clueless? Realistically until this core is gone, we won't really see what he can do trying to drive a team.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Well if one aging center declines and the other just begins the injury track, anyone think this LW can be a stud then? To much of a deal for me. Like a lot of LW's they simply don't drive the play. Pass on that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad