La Liga 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think Barca's issues go beyond coaching. Valverde's done a fine job in the last 2 years, and you can argue 2 "off" games in two years bring his tenure from "nearly flawless" to "borderline questionable" (because winning La Liga twice isn't good enough in Barca, especially since he lucked into a Madrid squad who were at the end of their Ronaldo era).
Though La Liga is a great league, definitely top heavy, but still great Barca winning the title definitely means something. However, they're in the same shape as PSG and Man City in that winning the domestic title is good, but their eyes should be set on the CL so they can be called "kings of Europe". That's why I think Real Madrid have been a more successful team for me, sure Barca is the king of Espana, but Real were kings of Europe due to all their CL titles.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Though La Liga is a great league, definitely top heavy, but still great Barca winning the title definitely means something. However, they're in the same shape as PSG and Man City in that winning the domestic title is good, but their eyes should be set on the CL so they can be called "kings of Europe". That's why I think Real Madrid have been a more successful team for me, sure Barca is the king of Espana, but Real were kings of Europe due to all their CL titles.

If you watch any club produced media, it is VERY obvious that the CL is RMCF's main goal. That's what they heavily market. Sure, that's also where the success is, so it is easier to market than 2 la liga titles this decade.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Barca has been the most successful club the past decade. Not really a contest either.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Barca has been the most successful club the past decade. Not really a contest either.

In what? Domestic titles? Juve and Bayern have more.

Champions League? They don't get close to Madrid. Not if you value the titles themselves (duh), not if you value consistency (Madrid had 8 straights semis).

So,... No.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nope, I've already gone over that they should've won more CL titles during their golden age. A product of where they're at now is due to an inferior manager and a front office who didn't take full advantage of one of the best teams ever assembled.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
In what? Domestic titles? Juve and Bayern have more.

Champions League? They don't get close to Madrid. Not if you value the titles themselves (duh), not if you value consistency (Madrid had 8 straights semis).

So,... No.

LMAO this post it incredibly flawed thinking but I'll be happy to spoon feed it to you.

CL+league trophy barca have 3CL + 8 La liga. That makes 11 in total

Bayern have 1CL and 8 Bundesliga. 9 trophies intotal

Madrid 4CL and 2La ligas. 6 in total

Juve doesn't have any CL.

Now you factor in the domestic cups 6 for barca. 2 for Madrid.Munich have 5.

SO, yes Barca is CLEARLY above everyone. But you know do you.

Nope, I've already gone over that they should've won more CL titles during their golden age. A product of where they're at now is due to an inferior manager and a front office who didn't take full advantage of one of the best teams ever assembled.

DOenst matter what they should've won they're in competing with themselves. lol

Reactions: les Habs

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
CL+league trophy barca have 3CL + 8 La liga. That makes 11 in total

Bayern have 1CL and 8 Bundesliga. 9 trophies intotal

Madrid 4CL and 2La ligas. 6 in total

SO, yes Barca is CLEARLY above everyone.

You're arguing that a team that won 2 CL titles in 10 years and made the semi a couple more times was CLEARLY above a team that won the CL 4 times and made the semis 8 consecutive times?
That's almost funny.

When it comes to measuring historic greatness, CL is more important than anything else.
It's the ONLY best-on-best competition, history remembers it most of all, and domestic trophies pale in comparison.
Doesn't take anything away from teams winning domestic leagues - but in the end, Barca's team makeup has been set up so they destroy lesser teams with more consistency while have a shot vs top teams - while RM was custom made for big games and big matches. Less consistency vs inferior opposition, but dominant in big matches (as proven by the 4 CLs).

There's a reason why everyone and their mum can remember the Milan teams of the late 80s/early 90s, the Ajax and Bayern teams of the 70s etc...
Yet at the same time, Borrusia Monchengladbach were absolutely amazing in the 70s, and noone knows about them - they never won the European Cup.
Real Madrid in the second half of the 80s was ridiculously dominant, won 5 La Ligas in a row, and were probably the best team in Europe - except they never won the EC, so barely anyone remembers it.

Since 2014, it was Madrid's era, what they did was historic and hadn't been done in 50 years.

CL is the most important competition, period. There's a reason why the superclubs consider their season a borderline failure if they lose out in the CL.

This season, as it looks right now, City and Liverpool are ahead of everyone else. But if they don't win the CL, in 5 years time noone will remember how good they looked.

I think the entire debate is pointless, and I'm sure some people with agree with one view or the other, but I'm completely baffled by anyone - even a diehard Messi fan - thinking the Barca was CLEARLY above everyone else in the last 10 years (especially last 8 or so), when they won only 2 CLs and RM won 4 in the meantime.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You're arguing that a team that won 2 CL titles in 10 years and made the semi a couple more times was CLEARLY above a team that won the CL 4 times and made the semis 8 consecutive times?
That's almost funny.

What an embarrassing post... one where i'd expect from one of the sad Arsenal fans here. Honestly very surprising coming from you. You made a comment that was clearly false and the doubled down. This is one of those arguments that is can actually just be looked up and not waste anyone time. Alas I will reply one last time provide you with the facts and leave it to you to either accept them or bang your head against the wall. First simple math (one where I eve did it for you) Barca have 3 not 2 CL. As for the semis barca have went to 4 semis (not a couple as you say) Madrid also have 4 when they haven't reached the final. IF you want to add both semis to include when they won Barca would have 7 and Madrid would have 8. Not an accomplishment mind you especially when you take a look at everything else.

When it comes to measuring historic greatness, CL is more important than anything else.
It's the ONLY best-on-best competition, history remembers it most of all, and domestic trophies pale in comparison.
Doesn't take anything away from teams winning domestic leagues - but in the end, Barca's team makeup has been set up so they destroy lesser teams with more consistency while have a shot vs top teams - while RM was custom made for big games and big matches. Less consistency vs inferior opposition, but dominant in big matches (as proven by the 4 CLs).

LoL again the language used here is highly amusing. "have a shot against the top teams" ...

Barca vs Madrid head to head the last decade Barca have 14 wins Madrid have 4. with 4 draws. This is in La liga.

Since 2014, it was Madrid's era, what they did was historic and hadn't been done in 50 years.

CL is the most important competition, period. There's a reason why the superclubs consider their season a borderline failure if they lose out in the CL.

This season, as it looks right now, City and Liverpool are ahead of everyone else. But if they don't win the CL, in 5 years time noone will remember how good they looked.

I think the entire debate is pointless, and I'm sure some people with agree with one view or the other, but I'm completely baffled by anyone - even a diehard Messi fan - thinking the Barca was CLEARLY above everyone else in the last 10 years (especially last 8 or so), when they won only 2 CLs and RM won 4 in the meantime.

.Borderline failure really then why was Juve brought up? At one point they are in the mix of most successful team in the past decade but yet its almost a failure if you don't have a CL? How many Do they have?

WRONG

No one said past 8 years I said the past decade and the trophies are there to prove it. Again highly embarrassing post. One more CL trophy is apparently equivalent to to multiple league trophies. And Semis is basically worth as much if not more than an actual non CL trophy.

Reactions: les Habs

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Can't be arsed to argue, just giving you how I see things.

My point stands, Madrid marked the era with a historic feat, something not done in 50 years in the ONLY best-on-best competition.

While I do think their reign over Europe was fascinating, it still stands they won only 2 La Ligas in 10 years.
But the thing is... Not that it doesn't matter (it does), just that CL is worth so, so much more.
Like it or not, most of the prestige comes from winning the CL (including Ballon d'Or voting).
And Madrid, undoubtedly, defined the competition. In the last 6 years as much as in history since it was formed.

However, I will say that the last decade is a pretty arbitrary thing to define things.
Messi's Barca was the best team up until 2014 for half a decade, then I'd say Ronaldo's Madrid ruled Europe for half a decade.
Perfectly balanced, among those two, so people can argue on the internet who is better or more talented or more efficient or more clutch, etc.

Now though, I think City and Liverpool are ahead of them both. And both clubs have some serious work to do.
Madrid are in a bigger hole, but they're on the way of adjusting to life without the 2nd best player ever.
Barca is still to get there, life without Messi, and they really should aim to have plan B and C in their game and their lineup, or they'll be in a bigger hole than Madrid is now.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I have to agree with Corto here. For Barça, Juventus and City domestic success is a given and what they really want to win more than anything is the Champions League. That is why Guardiola was hired at Bayern and why they have given him every tool to win it at City. Same with Juventus and paying Cristiano Ronaldo so that they could finally leave their mark in Europe. They have been dominant in Serie A for the last decade but those AC Milan teams that won multiple European Cups are more fondly remembered.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Except domestic success isn't a given for Barca as they have Real Madrid (or they're supposed to) and Atletico of this decade to a lesser extent. City's domestic success has also been done at an historic level and was far from a 'given' (though, I think, not unexpected).

The Champion's League is certainly the most important trophy, but it's not a vast gap over a league title which is just as hard in many ways to obtain, and in some ways harder. It certainly shows a level of consistency that you don't get with the CL.

I don't think there's any argument against Barcelona being the most successful team of the last decade.

I mean, you guys are acting like Barcelona hasn't won the CL in this stretch. They've done it 3 times which is massive, and had a treble only a few years ago. It's actually not even remotely close between Barcelona and Real Madrid over the last decade.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Can't be arsed to argue, just giving you how I see things.

My point stands, Madrid marked the era with a historic feat, something not done in 50 years in the ONLY best-on-best competition.

While I do think their reign over Europe was fascinating, it still stands they won only 2 La Ligas in 10 years.
But the thing is... Not that it doesn't matter (it does), just that CL is worth so, so much more.
Like it or not, most of the prestige comes from winning the CL (including Ballon d'Or voting).
And Madrid, undoubtedly, defined the competition. In the last 6 years as much as in history since it was formed.

However, I will say that the last decade is a pretty arbitrary thing to define things.
Messi's Barca was the best team up until 2014 for half a decade, then I'd say Ronaldo's Madrid ruled Europe for half a decade.
Perfectly balanced, among those two, so people can argue on the internet who is better or more talented or more efficient or more clutch, etc.

Now though, I think City and Liverpool are ahead of them both. And both clubs have some serious work to do.
Madrid are in a bigger hole, but they're on the way of adjusting to life without the 2nd best player ever.
Barca is still to get there, life without Messi, and they really should aim to have plan B and C in their game and their lineup, or they'll be in a bigger hole than Madrid is now.

If this is how you view things, you're basically telling us that we shouldn't take your opinion seriously. As for the balon do'r voting the year Sneijder won a treble with Inter he wasn't in the top 3 voting for Balon D'or... so there goes that theory.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If this is how you view things, you're basically telling us that we shouldn't take your opinion seriously. As for the balon do'r voting the year Sneijder won a treble with Inter he wasn't in the top 3 voting for Balon D'or... so there goes that theory.
Which was a farce. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad