LA Kings the most disastrously run franchise in the league

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
They cut their losses. The cap space they freed up is valuable. Maybe it's better to ask, "what they hell are the Caps thinking?"
This is my thought. I would have bought PLD out so they did well here. Caps adding a waste of 8.5M who will also be bad for the room when that's the last thing that young core needs .

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
I'm not sure the sabres would have made the playoffs in the AHL for the last 11 years(Certainly some/most years).

I respectfully disagree.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
They just traded PLD for the decomposing corpse of Darcy Kuemper, a goalie way past his prime. Basically, they gave away PLD for (almost) free as Washington was more than happy to get out of that albatross contract, and this comes after shipping out Vilardi, Iafallo , Kupari and a 2nd for Dubois just a year ago, and then giving him a huge 8-year extension at $8.5M.

The issue here is that almost everyone on these boards could have told you when the trade was done just how much of a collosal disaster giving out a long-term deal to the always malcontent PLD was, but somehow Blake and the rest of the Kings front office didn't see it. Complete disaster.

They also extended Todd McLellan just a few months before finally firing him, another mega-puzzling move. You have to think that there is something seriously wrong behind the scenes for the Kings moves to look this bi-polar. Another disaster, and they should have parted ways with Todd long, long ago.

But worst yet, they just recently extended their management group! So basically Blake and co were allowed to pay a premium to make these disastrous move and then everyone is acting as if nothing happened. It looks like there is absolutely no accountability at the management level whatsoever.

Are the LA Kings the worst run franchise in the league?
Nah they realized how bad the move was and moved on, disaster would be dealing with his lazy ass for another decade.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I wouldn’t say they’re the worst managed team, not close honestly. After the PLD trade, they don’t really have any long term anchors and are still a competitive team. I give them props for being proactive, taking risks, and getting rid of mistakes before they become worse. With new coaching and some tweaks, I think they’d be pretty competitive

Buffalo probably has had the shittiest team management since Briere and Drury left.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Kings were already the most disastrously run franchise in the league, but not because of anything that happened today.

This trade is unironically Blake’s best as GM, which says more about his performance than anything else but still. I expect he’ll just use the cap space to sign our next albatross contract but until then we can enjoy that the deck is now clear for a much needed rebuild once Kopi is retired.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
The only thing worse than making an extremely stupid mistake, is to be in denial once it’s done and not correct it.
if you shit your own pants, its your job to clean them up. thats what Rob did today. at least he owned it instead of pretending it didnt happen or just flat out denying it altogether which is kinda what he did at the end of season/locker cleanout press event. he went from saying "the coaches need to do a better job of incorporating him into the game" to "yeah, he didnt work. thats my fault" in about a month's time lol

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
OBC is so f***ing strong. Blake can take that hit as long as Kings are in the playoffs next year. Then it'll be like the original PLD trade never happened. It's just how it is, when you're talking about a casual fan's memory or give-a-shit meter (PLD definitely doesn't own one).

There're other clubs that are and have been poorly managed for a while that would easily challenge for "most disastrous".

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
A lot of teams light money and assets on fire and fail constantly simply because they are run by stupid people. The Blue Jackets, the Flyers, the Sabres, the Senators, there are plenty more...they can all coexist. The Kings are there but they aren't even close to the top of that list.

Last edited:

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I do think Blake is better than most GMs at pivoting away from his disastrous decisions before they fester due to stubbornness.

However.

The problem is he makes just as many, if not more, mistakes than the average GM, in pursuit of flawed, contradictory, perhaps even non existent roster philosophy. Utterly negates his positive attributes.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The last time the Kings won a playoff series, Bettman handed Dustin Brown the Stanley Cup. It's now been over a decade. Robitaille and Blake have made a lot of very obvious, very avoidable mistakes. I don't think the Kings are the worst organization in the league, but they certainly aren't a shining star. I certainly wouldn't be looking to model an organization after the Kings right now.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
mvp-group-international-sports-agent-athletes-representation-marc-bergevin.webp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad