Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
But you are the guy who criticized me for having the views that the Kings should just handle prospects the way that **everyone else** has handled similar prospects? So in this post you are telling people who want to draft and develop systems that have worked in the past, that they “don't know how it works” and then in other you are defending bizarre decisions that go against things that **have** worked?

You defended many of the weird and unusual decisions Blake has made with young players. You defended the unorthodox handling on QB, the unorthodox handling of Turcotte, you defended having Bjornfot back in the minors to start the year, I am not sure how you felt on Clarke returning to junior but I assume it was supportive of Blake.

This just really confuses me, the wording of your posts.

And on the same topic, in another thread you are saying you refuse to criticize or judge 20-22 year old players. Yet we see dozens of players in this age group, especially ones taken as high as QB and Turcotte making an impact in the NHL (and not just for bad teams). It is indeed a factual statement to say that through 4 and 3 years Turcotte and QB have been two of the worst top 5 picks since the the tie of the century, fair statement? Ok, then what blame for that falls on how the Kings either evaluate or develop players?

As mentioned, you were all on board with the heavy AHL usage for teenagers, do you think now that you were maybe wrong in that view? If not the AHL usage, was it just poor evaluation? Bad luck? It just seems like a stretch to call it bad luck when it's back to back picks, by the same management team, that were both handled strange and both have produced historically bad results.

Your 1st paragraph, not sure where that is coming from, my statement of "It's almost like everyone on here doesn't know how hockey works, how playoffs work, how drafts work, etc." is more the lines of, there is an element of luck involved, even in the playoffs where you play good teams....and you don't know what happens, but luck pays a big part, same with the draft....

Everyone is so up in arms that the Kings lost, and they did this, and they did that.....Kings sucks fire Blake, Fire TM, fire Kopitar, fire the hot dog stand guy fire the organist etc.....that in the first few, no one took the time to breathe, let alone understand that luck played a huge part in that series, and luck played a huge part in the draft.....and development. We disagree on I would guess most parts about development, but you get lucky, and you get unlucky, that's just the nature of the draft and development....You think putting Byfield out there 1st year out to fall on his face and learn from it, is best, I disagree....that's not the luck I am talking about, but Akil Thomas, good pick, very unlucky with health, Turcotte, same kind of luck, Roy.....7th round pick, is that excellent scouting, development...or bit of luck and dedication on Roy's part?

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Just a quick thing to think about when talking about trading that 1st round pick and Quick. The Kings, before the trade deadline, were on pace for 101.5 points. After the trade deadline, the Kings ended up with 104 points.

Would they have maintained that pace? Obviously impossible to know...but they traded (at worst) the 21st overall pick in this years draft for ~1 win based on that.
You also have to remember they lost Fiala, Vilardi and Anderson to multiple games after the trade. Not hard to think if those guys played they would have changed things. They were the top team in the west before Fiala got hurt.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
The Kings would’ve been better off just keeping Quick and their 1st and losing to the Oilers in round one all the same.

We would be in the exact same position trying to re-sign Gavrikov on July 1st and running back Peterson in 23/24.

Blake is a dope.
Hindsight harry over here lol....

Look, obviously now knowing that the Kings came up short and got bounced in the first round - The trade doesn't look amazing.

It was a risky move - But addressed 2 major needs and gave the Kings a MUCH better chance to go on a long playoff run. Unfortunately it didn't pan out that way, but it was worth a shot.

And let's be honest - Virtually all Kings fans (probably you included) were essentially begging GMRB to make a move to improve the team's goaltending/left defense at the deadline. He did, and it didn't work out. That doesn't make him a terrible GM or a 'dope'.

This team can still be in an AMAZING position moving into next season with the right moves this offseason. GKfreakinG boys

Reactions: Fripp

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
On the 32 Thoughts Podcast, Elliotte Friedman said he expects TM to receive a contract extension.

200w.gif

LMAO the souls of thousands of Kings fan...just shriveled up and died

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Not looking too much into Blake’s comments about Peterson…he’s not gonna put the guy down while he’s already down…

I don’t expect him to be with the Kings next season…

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Yeah but they didn't. If you told everyone that the result of that trade would be a 1st round exit, no one would think it was worth it. The reason folks didn't mind the trade is because they thought it gave them a chance to do more.

Results matter and now they have to do whatever they can to sign them in the off-season because it looks even worse if they walk. Now, to save face, you're likely having to deal even MORE youth and cheap contracts which will set the team back even further in the next couple of years.
It's entirely possible that the idea of the rebuild has already been more or less abandoned internally for various reasons and they're now just trying to move the pieces around Kopitar and Doughty to get 1-2 more kicks at the can and deal with what you have later. I have to give credit to Herby for stating this quite some time ago, I didn't consider it strongly enough at the time but it's starting to look like it might a real possibility, as scary as that sounds. Never been a big fan of Blake, even less of Luc, but this is the first time I am becoming concerned that this is going to turn into ad-hoc solutions and self-delusion in order to preserve people's jobs for as long as possible, without facing the grim reality. Of course, until it inevitably hits them in the face.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
You also have to remember they lost Fiala, Vilardi and Anderson to multiple games after the trade. Not hard to think if those guys played they would have changed things. They were the top team in the west before Fiala got hurt.
Yeah and last year they didn't have Doughty and Arvidsson and several other guys. So what? They didn't get any further than last year. Edmonton hasn't lost a regulation game in like two months and Vegas was also winning or getting points in every game. They all played in the playoffs and they didn't make the difference. I don't want to hear "injuries" as an excuse either because if they were that banged up, they shouldn't have been playing.

Bottom line, the Kings got virtually nothing for 2 1st round picks that they wouldn't have already gotten.

It's entirely possible that the idea of the rebuild has already been more or less abandoned internally for various reasons and they're now just trying to move the pieces around Kopitar and Doughty to get 1-2 more kicks at the can and deal with what you have later. I have to give credit to Herby for stating this quite some time ago, I didn't consider it strongly enough at the time but it's starting to look like it might a real possibility, as scary as that sounds. Never been a fan of Blake, even less of Luc, but this is the first time I am becoming concerned that this is going to turn into ad-hoc solutions and self-delusion in order to preserve people's jobs for as long as possible, without facing the grim reality. Of course, until it inevitably hits them in the face.
That's entirely what it is and has been. Blake knows he's got 1-2 years left to make a dent in the post-season. He cares very little about 5 years from now since, unless he makes conference final or wins a cup, he won't be here to see it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Hindsight harry over here lol....

Look, obviously now knowing that the Kings came up short and got bounced in the first round - The trade doesn't look amazing.

It was a risky move - But addressed 2 major needs and gave the Kings a MUCH better chance to go on a long playoff run. Unfortunately it didn't pan out that way, but it was worth a shot.

And let's be honest - Virtually all Kings fans (probably you included) were essentially begging GMRB to make a move to improve the team's goaltending/left defense at the deadline. He did, and it didn't work out. That doesn't make him a terrible GM or a 'dope'.

This team can still be in an AMAZING position moving into next season with the right moves this offseason. GKfreakinG boys
Let's be honest only a bunch of Jack-Come-Latelys are fooled by BLuc's BS.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
The thread on the trade is like five threads below this one. You can read it and see how many people said it was a bad idea (and not just because Quick was involved) at the time. Several folks saying these weren't the guys to get, that the price was too high, that it was a bad risk to take for pending UFA's, etc.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It's entirely possible that the idea of the rebuild has already been more or less abandoned internally for various reasons and they're now just trying to move the pieces around Kopitar and Doughty to get 1-2 more kicks at the can and deal with what you have later. I have to give credit to Herby for stating this quite some time ago, I didn't consider it strongly enough at the time but it's starting to look like it might a real possibility, as scary as that sounds. Never been a big fan of Blake, even less of Luc, but this is the first time I am becoming concerned that this is going to turn into ad-hoc solutions and self-delusion in order to preserve people's jobs for as long as possible, without facing the grim reality. Of course, until it inevitably hits them in the face.

So.......Boston.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Some of it is how you process defeat - imagining a we’vdifferent roster/coach/system Personally, im not arguing for anything other than i argued during regular season. What do you think are the key decision points? I worked out the cap math with the help of john22..They cant get all of Vilardi, Gav and Goalie without some trade(s). What do you think are the priorities?
You don’t deserve to discuss hockey with him you are a different level of nobody knows who the f*** you are in hockey.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Let's be honest only a bunch of Jack-Come-Latelys are fooled by BLuc's BS.
"BLuc's BS"...... Lol??? What BS?? They assembled a REALLY good team that is positioned to be really good for years to come.

With the exception of goaltending being a pretty big question mark, this team/organization is in really good shape. The craziest part is it seems Kings fans are mostly the one's that don't seem to see that??? Around the league people are looking at the Kings as one of the best up and coming teams in the league and most were predicting them to go on a long playoff run if they could get past EDM. But for Kings fans its "fire everyone" for some reason???.. Super weird to me.

Byfield will get there. Kaliyev will get there. Reminder that both are still RIDICULOUSLY young (don't understand how people still aren't getting that) and will easily be better players next year. Vilardi is good as f**k and will also likely be even better next year. Kempe is an absolute beast now. Clarke is going to be an absolute beauty and is poised to compete for the Calder next year. We get to watch Fiala for many years to come.

And there are still PLENTY of prospects that absolutely still have a chance to shine over the next couple seasons.

Idk man..... Like I get being bummed that the Kings lost and also get being frustrated that some of the moves management has made haven't worked out but to me, there's WAY more cause for excitement than there is concern with this team.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
"BLuc's BS"...... Lol??? What BS?? They assembled a REALLY good team that is positioned to be really good for years to come.

With the exception of goaltending being a pretty big question mark, this team/organization is in really good shape. The craziest part is it seems Kings fans are mostly the one's that don't seem to see that??? Around the league people are looking at the Kings as one of the best up and coming teams in the league and most were predicting them to go on a long playoff run if they could get past EDM. But for Kings fans its "fire everyone" for some reason???.. Super weird to me.

Byfield will get there. Kaliyev will get there. Reminder that both are still RIDICULOUSLY young (don't understand how people still aren't getting that) and will easily be better players next year. Vilardi is good as f**k and will also likely be even better next year. Kempe is an absolute beast now. Clarke is going to be an absolute beauty and is poised to compete for the Calder next year. We get to watch Fiala for many years to come.

And there are still PLENTY of prospects that absolutely still have a chance to shine over the next couple seasons.

Idk man..... Like I get being bummed that the Kings lost and also get being frustrated that some of the moves management has made haven't worked out but to me, there's WAY more cause for excitement than there is concern with this team.

Got you an extra pair of these:
1682981353223.png

FeartheFur

Jul 15, 2018

I think you right. Great to see some positivity today. For f***s sake Colorado AND Boston lost in the first round as well.

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Let's see, do we go with the analysis of Jack-Come-Lately, or the analysis of people who have been watching Kings hockey for 20-30 years?

Several people here stated unequivically that the Kings would never win jack **** during Kopitar's current 8-year deal. Kings management only made it worse when they doubed-down with the Doughty contract. Man, I hope Doughty wakes up one morning next week, sees the writing on the wall, truly wants to win a third Stanley Cup, and decides to ask for a trade. It would blow this entire charade to kingdom come.

There are plenty of prospects who are behind their development curve, because this organization does not have the skill or the will to accept the pain involved in developing young players properly.

...but you're right, anything can happen if they just make the playoffs.

Now, it's about time for you to run along and get high, isn't it?

I think you right. Great to see some positivity today. For f***s sake Colorado AND Boston lost in the first round as well.
You should be in the Kings marketing department. This is a great slogan to bring all the suckers in to buy season tickets next season.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

Can you cite the teams that have been constructed this way that have had Stanley Cup success?

If the Kings are going to be great for years to come…

Who is the long-term 1C?
Long-term 2C?
Who the long-term starting goalie?
How about the defenseman?
The six wingers who make up scoring lines?

I think you will discover that beyond the next 2-3 years those answers all get really cloudy, and that’s because the Kings just finished year 2 of a 3-5 year window to compete before 11 and 8 are done.

You seem amazed that people want the GM fired after six seasons of 0 playoff series wins. How many years are needed to win 1 playoff series? When is it acceptable for people to want change?

Beyond the lack of success on the ice, you have a GM who has had his 2 highest picks produce historically bad results thus far and 2 other first rounders looking like nothing more than depth pieces at best.

The Kings have a respectable team now, good enough to maybe win a round, but not a threat to win a SC. That is what many of us are frustrated by, especially longtime fans who have seen this black hole show before.

Last edited:

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Got you an extra pair of these:
View attachment 701215
Sunglasses because the future's so bright?? Thanks man, these will come in handy.

I know you're being sarcastic but I don't get why?? Is it fun to sit around 'predicting' your favorite team is totally screwed just so you can claim you were right on the off chance they actually are??

Like, at the end of the day as fans all we can really do is cheer on our team and hope for the best right??

If you disagree with something or have doubts about coaches, players, trades, management, etc - Why not hope your concerns are proven wrong and hope for the best for your favorite team??

Hope prospects pan out and have great off-seasons, hope management makes the right decisions (knowing that mistakes are bound to happen with any sports franchise), and try to be optimistic about the future?? Y'all are (some of the posters on here at least) so doom and gloom and again... it's WEIRD to me.

So many people on these boards have this "I'm gonna be super pessimistic because if I'm expecting the worst, I'll never be disappointed" vibe. It's super corny and weird.
Several people here stated unequivically that the Kings would never win jack **** during Kopitar's current 8-year deal. Kings management only made it worse when they doubed-down with the Doughty contract. Man, I hope Doughty wakes up one morning next week, sees the writing on the wall, truly wants to win a third Stanley Cup, and decides to ask for a trade. It would blow this entire charade to kingdom come.
Like what a SAD/weird statement from a Kings fan???? Your reaction to the best Kings player of all time (Kopitar) being signed to a 8-year deal was "AH MAN THEY'LL NEVER WIN AGAIN NOW".... I mean... what???

I can understand thinking "ahhhh that contract probably won't age well" or something along those lines but what a absolutely awful and werid attitude to have.

Don't get me wrong, I have some concerns too.. And this off-season is going to be super interesting/crucial. But you can express those concerns and disagree with certain moves without being an ass about it.
Now, it's about time for you to run along and get high, isn't it?
Like here you're just childishly attacking me because what??? Because I was optimistic about the Kings future? You may have been watching hockey for the last 20-30 years but it seems pretty clear you have some growing up to do.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Can you cite the teams that have been constructed this way that have had Stanley Cup success?
St Louis Blues are probably the only cup team without the major core being home grown. Pietrangelo Tarasenko and Binnington were big parts but Schenn and OReilly seemed to be the leaders at that moment.
It also didnt last more than a season. Heck it was only even half a season they caught lightning in a bottle. They were in last a large portion of the year.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA

If the Kings are going to be great for years to come.

Who is the long-term 1C?
Long-term 2C?
Who the long-term starting goalie?
How about the defenseman beyond Clarke?
The six wingers who make up scoring lines?

I think you will discover that beyond the next 2-3 years those answers all get really cloudy, and that’s because the Kings just year 2 of a 3-5 year window to compete before 11 and 8 are done.

The Kings have a respectable team now, good enough to maybe win a round, but not a threat to win a SC. That is what many of us are frustrated by, especially longtime fans who have seen this black hole show before.
Constructed what way??? The way the Kings have built this team in essentially the same way any team has ever been built?? You go into a rebuild trading who you can, you try to draft the best players you think are available whenever its your turn to pick and hope they turn into what you invision them to be. You try to supplement the roster with strong veteran players to compliment the youth (Fiala, Danault, Arvidsson, Gavrikov), and when you're in a playoff position and think you have a chance to go on a cup run, you try to fill any holes you can identify in the roster to make your team as strong as possible?

Long term 1C: Byfield (or, if Byfield doesn't pan out) you target a 1C through trade/free agency when Kopitar retires/declines
Long term 2C: Danault
Long term starting goalie: I will agree this is the biggest question mark / need to figure out. Hopefully Portillo can be 'the guy' or there's other options like trading for a big name goalie. Friendly reminder that the Avs are an absolute wagon (despite the loss to the Kraken) and they don't have an amazing long term #1 goalie.... It's possible to win the cup without a Vezina trophy winner. Although obviously having one helps quite a lot lol.
Defense beyond Clarke will be fine - We have Doughty for many more years and if Clarke is who we think he is, that will begin to limit Doughty's minutes and could force him down to the 2nd pairing as soon as the 2024/25 season. Mikey signed long term as a great shut down guy, and you can add (through trade, free agent signings, or prospects stepping up) complimentary pieces as needed to solidify the D-core.
Wingers: Kempe, Fiala, Vilardi, Kaliyev, Moore, Laferriere, Chromiak (Other dark horses that could surprise)

Edit: I will admit a lot is riding on Byfield and Clarke. If Byfield doesn't become a 1C and Clarke doesn't become a #1 d-man - Then yeah, things look pretty bleak. But they both absolutely still have the potential to be franchise players - At this point, we kinda just have to hope that happens.

I agree things get cloudy after the next couple years and I have concerns as well but the same could be said for virtually every other team in the NHL essentially? Guys like Clarke, Byfield, Vilardi, and Kaliyev will be HUGE for this team. IF they all fail (and no other prospects surprise in their place) then yeah... That sucks and looks real bad for management and likely would mean another rebuild/retool - But on the flip side if they continue to take steps forward and become great/elite players - You're looking pretty game good.

Also, sure Blake has been GM for 6 seasons but you have to factor in expectations. Last year the team was ahead of everyone's expectations/timelines and wasn't expected to do much in the playoffs. This is essentially the first year the Kings were expected to make some noise - And they had a great chance to do so with the team that was put together. Came up short and that sucks of course but IMO Blake should get at least 1 more season to see how things pan out before we throw him overboard. Although I do understand if some people disagree - Just not my personal opinion.

Last edited:

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Thats what you thought about the series? Not about the penalty kill or holding a lead?
Byfields 4 points in 6 games along with Hughes was the most out of all those rookies/young players a couple people have listed above.
Byfield isn't living up to his draft position and isn't producing on the top line as he should. Making excuses for Byfield doesn't work when the player who was drafted after him Tim Stützle has had a more productive career so far.

GPGAP+/-

Byfield

Career​

GPGAP+/-

Reactions: ibleedkings

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Extending the Koala doesn’t make financial sense. His contract ends next season, why extend him before and get tied to owing him money when they eventually nut up and fire him?

oh nvm, Rob Blake.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Some don't seem to understand that between Marcel Dionne, then Wayne Gretzky, and on to Kopitar the long and distinguished list of 1C's on the Kings included the likes of Stumpel, Armstrong, etc.

...but I get it, when Kopitar is done if Byfield doesn't pan out due to piss poor development or some other reason, you just trade for a 1C. You just go to a team that has a great 1C and get him from them.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
32 thoughts reported today a couple things.

- Expect an extension for Todd Mac.

- LA "blocks" prospects from entering the NHL. They filled positions like Danault, Arvidsson, Fiala. Prospects feel upset at having no chance. 1 host said maybe they should change that, Friedman reported LA will probably double down on it. Feels prospects have to "take away someone's job to stay up".

- Some prospects were frustrated at not playing game 7. Used Kaliyev as an example. LA has to figure out if they will soon move on from many of these prospects as opportunities do not seem to be present. Jokes on you Elliott Friedman, most of our good prospects next year can be had on waivers.

- Any team had permission to talk to Gavrikov but he turned down all offers of an extension/sign at the deadline. He will want close to 6 if not more.

- Possibility of Hellibuck to LA Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad