Value of: Kyrou to MTL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Montreal is not ready for the next step where you spend for immediate succes.
Suzuki will be 25 next season. Caufield 24. If Montreal is not ready for immediate success now, when can they expect to be? When those guys are 28? 30? Shouldn't they be trying to win while their two best players are in their prime? It's not like there are any franchise saviors on the way from their prospect pool.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Not better than Dach? Jesus christ...
Hey, just you wait, one of these years Kirby Dach will reach the elusive 20 points 5v5, a mark only achieved by the best of defensive dman and 4th line grinders.

He just needs a bit more help. I mean, he's only played with Debrincat, Kane, and then Caufield and Suzuki.

How could he possibly be expected to get to the top 250 in 5v5 scoring

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Nope.

Keep Kyrou we'll keep our stuff.

Let's keep it short then... No.

That is what Blues fans have been saying. We didn't ask to trade you Kyrou.

Montreal Fan: What would it take to get Kyrou?
Blues fans: Its been discussed before. For us to consider it, it is Guhle or 5OA. You aren't willing to trade it. So there really isn't a deal here
Montreal Fans : Huff....If you won't give him up for this collection of spare parts, there is no deal to be had.

YES. That is what we said. There is no deal to be had. <shrug> We're not missing out given the offers from Habs fans.

Reactions: Memento

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Pretty high. At least high enough to ask for a player prospect that is off limits by the Habs fans. This will of course lead us down a path of Habs fans saying, "he's not even that good," and Blues fans defending him sprinkled between hilariously bad counter proposals. This will ultimately carry on for 10 plus pages resulting in personal attacks until a mod finally locks the thread.
Geez, at least put up *SPOILER ALERT* before you ruin the whole movie :sarcasm:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Caufield made huge improvements defensively, the last season.

Being on a line with Suzuki and Slaf, he plays a lot against tougher competition, yet he had the best +/- stats of the trio.

And the eye test is consistent with his stats.

The problem being he breaks a lot of opposing team offensive opportunities, but more often than not his lack of reach and strength prevent him from capitalizing on those plays he breaks. More often than not the opposing player manage to keep the puck.

So he's more or less like a bug fly defensively : he's good enough to annoy and gain a few seconds for his teammates to adjust defensively, but not good enough to definitively strip the puck away from opponents.

Not for nothing, but Kyrou also improved defensively this season. His stats aren't great but our D is really bad. He is high to middle on our team in various defensive metrics. He has the skills to be very good. He was on a line with Thomas and Buchnevich a ton this season and they were out against the other teams best forwards consistently.

He can use his speed on the back check. He has broken up a l a bunch of plays hustling back, and he is sneaky good as stripping the puck from behind when he catches up. He can be good on the board at coming out with the puck. His positioning is also generally pretty good.

It comes down to consistent effort on his part. And that improved greatly after Berube was fired. Its a small sample size. but if he puts in the work, he is a plus level defensive forward. He won't win the Selke, but he can be a positive. He just needs to work consistently.

It doesn't matter, because Caufield vs Kyrou isn't the issue. There is no trades to be had. Just wanted to add that to people who have not watched a ton of Kyrou this year.

Last edited:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Suzuki will be 25 next season. Caufield 24. If Montreal is not ready for immediate success now, when can they expect to be? When those guys are 28? 30? Shouldn't they be trying to win while their two best players are in their prime? It's not like there are any franchise saviors on the way from their prospect pool.
slafkovsky is 20, guhle 22, hutson 19, Dach 23, etc..
add the top 5 pick...
habs are fine...

5OA and 26OA and a young defenseman might have St Loo thinking about it
aaaand close it lmao

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
slafkovsky is 20, guhle 22, hutson 19, Dach 23, etc..
add the top 5 pick...
habs are fine...

aaaand close it lmao
That 5th overall pick is 7 years younger than Suzuki. By the time he's ready to make a serious impact, Suzuki will be in decline.

Habs should be aggressively moving futures for players like Kyrou, Necas and Chychrun who fit the Suzuki/Caufield timeline and can be (or already are) signed to reasonable contracts.

Or trade Suzuki and Caufield and start over with Slafkovsky, Reinbacher, 5OA, etc. as your new foundation.

• Haha
Reactions: jfhabs and bud12

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
This was proposed a month ago...and here we go again.

The last one was trading Kyrou for Guhle. No from the Habs side. Also from what i gathered Kyrou is not consistent offensive driver and a defensive question mark. A huge step behind Thomas and not better then Suzuki or Dach. And he's 26, he's going to be in his 30s when we want to contend.

A really good top 6 but not exactly what we need. Particularly at the cost of our top 2, 22 year old drfenseman.
Lol and what has dach proven at the NHL level to be considered better than kyrou? Ah that's right, nothing. I'm not a kyrou fan by any means but your homerism is blatant.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lol and what has dach proven at the NHL level to be considered better than kyrou? Ah that's right, nothing. I'm not a kyrou fan by any means but your homerism is blatant.
It's the jaw dropping domination in pre season and two season games before he got hurt that tells me we haven't seen the real Dach yet. Let's talk about Dach next season.

It's the "Slaf is a bust" worthless argument all over again.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
It's the jaw dropping domination in pre season and two season games before he got hurt that tells me we haven't seen the real Dach yet. Let's talk about Dach next season.

It's the "Slaf is a bust" worthless argument all over again.
Nah it’s not at all. Dachs done nothing to prove he’s a superior player, kyrous young as well and producing at a top line level. Dachs going on what year 6 of his NHL career and he has a career high of 38 points and consistent issues with staying healthy and playing a full season? Only a completely biased homer would say dach is better than Kyrou. Which makes sense given your username, and I don’t even like Kyrou that much lmao.

If u wanted to say u believe Dach has more long term upside to Kyrou as a big center with skill? Then sure I at least get the logic.

But u just flat out said he’s better, which implies that at the present time you think he is the better current player, which is laughably wrong.

Those 3 points in 4 preseason games against lineups with minor leaguers and prospects was quite jaw dropping and dominant though…… Kyrou had 5 points in 3 games, so I guess he was even more jaw dropping and dominant?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If u wanted to say u believe Dach has more long term upside to Kyrou as a big center with skill? Then sure I at least get the logic.

You got something right.

I'm NOT interested in this trade at that value nor think that Kyrou is going to be better then Suzuki OR Dach long term. Of COURSE I would take him for a reasonable "homer" price but not at the cost of Guhle or 5thOA.

I'm not sure why you want to keep arguing over something neither of us want;

Reactions: viceroy

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
You got something right.

I'm NOT interested in this trade at that value nor think that Kyrou is going to be better then Suzuki OR Dach long term. Of COURSE I would take him for a reasonable "homer" price but not at the cost of Guhle or 5thOA.

He’s arguing over your assertion that Kyrou is not better than Dach; nothing more, nothing less.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
You got something right.

I'm not arguing over trading kyrou for dach, never was. I certainly wouldn't move kyrou right now for an injury prone Kirby Dach. I'm just explaining to you how you were completely wrong and ignorant about what you said :)

And using 3 points in 4 preseason games as your argument is even better. Incredible actually. I can't stop laughing if i'm being honest.....

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
That 5th overall pick is 7 years younger than Suzuki. By the time he's ready to make a serious impact, Suzuki will be in decline.

Habs should be aggressively moving futures for players like Kyrou, Necas and Chychrun who fit the Suzuki/Caufield timeline and can be (or already are) signed to reasonable contracts.

Or trade Suzuki and Caufield and start over with Slafkovsky, Reinbacher, 5OA, etc. as your new foundation.
Lol wow ok. 2 timelines can exist btw. That’s how teams maintain contention for long periods

bud12

Oct 8, 2012

This is exacly the opposite of what they should do. Suzuki and Caufield will be in the 28-30y range when they will contend seriously. Right at their peak. Look how old are the top guy in the playoff. Bunch of late 20. Players like Kyrou/Neca will never push the habs for a cup run seriously. The habs need to stay on path with the rebuild plan. This is the way

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Ryder, Halak and a 2nd

Anderson, spare LD on/end ELC, and a 3nd is modern equivalent

Do you understand that trade proposal's worth at all Djp? Ryder ended up winning a Cup with Boston a bit later and scored 35 goals with Dallas a few years after that. Halak went on to be a solid 1B goalie for many more years. Criminy he was still playing 'til last season. That's like 10-15 yrs after those trade proposals. And how the heck is a 2nd back then the equivalent of a 3rd now? There are more teams now so the 2nd's worth more. *SMmfH*

First off not worried about Suzuki at all. All his stats come from his IQ. He ain't huge, he ain't super-fast and his shot is good not great. But that SOB is smart and those type of players have good long careers. Second Hutson looks terrific and Reinbacher and Mailloux look rock-solid. Now all we need is a good #5OVA forward and we'll be cooking in the next few years.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That is what Blues fans have been saying. We didn't ask to trade you Kyrou.

Montreal Fan: What would it take to get Kyrou?
Blues fans: Its been discussed before. For us to consider it, it is Guhle or 5OA. You aren't willing to trade it. So there really isn't a deal here
Montreal Fans : Huff....If you won't give him up for this collection of spare parts, there is no deal to be had.

YES. That is what we said. There is no deal to be had. <shrug> We're not missing out given the offers from Habs fans.
Excellent. Shut it down.

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not arguing over trading kyrou for dach, never was. I certainly wouldn't move kyrou right now for an injury prone Kirby Dach. I'm just explaining to you how you were completely wrong and ignorant about what you said :)

And using 3 points in 4 preseason games as your argument is even better. Incredible actually. I can't stop laughing if i'm being honest.....
Great, won't move Dach for what would be 3C in our organization in a few years.

Waste of time....and ignoring...

• Haha

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020

In my humble oppinion Caufield and Suzuki are not strong enough to build around for montreal to be anything else than a fringe playoff team.

Trade for bigger fish than Kyrou or stay patient

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
In my humble oppinion Caufield and Suzuki are not strong enough to build around for montreal to be anything else than a fringe playoff team.

Trade for bigger fish than Kyrou or stay patient
I completely agree but in that case they need to trade them and start over. Bottom out and rebuild around Slafkovsky, Reinbacher, this year's 5th overall pick, etc.

The problem for Montreal is that they don't have the superstar talent you need to be a contender but it's also hard to see them finishing low enough in the standings to draft a superstar at this point.

If they insist on building around Suzuki and Caufield they're going to need to add a bunch more Suzuki/Caufield level players so they can win with depth and being able to come at teams in waves. That's why I think Kyrou or Necas makes a lot of sense.

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I’m not sure Suzuki is the type of full build around center that would force a hand in a situation like this.

It’s also oddly funny how strongly opinionated fans are on stacking players in the same age range to build a competitive team.

Most good teams that have come about and competitive teams that win the cup have two separate age ranges that make impacts.

There’s nothing wrong with Montreal keeping guys like Suzuki and a few others in that age range while shooting for a time table of 3 years from now.

There’s an odd misunderstanding that players are only a part of a winning formula in their “prime” which in these realms somehow is 24-28 and then they’re too old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad