Kyle Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Dubas was put in a no win situation. Sparks should not be blamed for what happened in Boston:
No Matthews
Back to Back
On the road
Marincin in the line up

Sparks would have been picked up by Canes and he is just going to have to be mentally tough because he is not going to be put in great situations.

That is not a winning combination especially with Boston being one of the best teams in the East IMO.

Agreed. Coaches tend to refer to them as dead games because you’re not really expecting to win them.

Babs clearly decided to “guarantee” the win against NJ and then go into the Boston game with 2 points in hand.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Wrong as usual.
NHL is looking very good for him. He is looking like a step ahead.
He signed Tavares and he wasnt coming here no matter what.

you're either always at the bar when you post or out on recess, i dunno which is correct? don't quote me :)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
apparently he thinks Matthews and Marner should have been signed back in the spring as well, even though they weren't eligible to sign extensions until July. he should really keep his mouth shut at this point. Dubas earned the GM spot over him fair and square

seriously. like who asked him?
(like seriously. who asked him? like if he just opened his mouth he should shut it)

Yeah read that article. Makes him seem bitter. “The time to do it was in the Spring.”

Let’s see how it all plays out before we make assumptions on anything. Signing Nylander in the Spring meant no foreknowledge of Tavares, so it might’ve cost some much needed cap space.

meh. i doubt the offer would change, or what Nylander wants.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
seriously. like who asked him?
(like seriously. who asked him? like if he just opened his mouth he should shut it)
Pretty sure he was interviewed, he didn't call a press conference to announce this.
As I recall he was only referring to Nylander not Matthews and Marner.
Wouldn't he have been referring to Lou lam signing him in the spring? He was still the GM I believe.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Give the kid a chance. He turned OS from the doormat of OHL into an OHL champion with picks. He turned Marlies from a mid pack team into AHL champions in 3 years. He got to learn from the legend Lou for 3 years. He clearly has talent. We will see if junior and minor pro experience turns into NHL success. No one knows but typically a player with same pedigree always gets that shot. He is now getting his shot. I wish he had someone with a little more experience with him as he deals with 4 tough signings under the CAP.

You mean like the AGM's who helped draw up the cba and have spent extensive time dealing with contract negotiations and the like?

It's not like they are a couple of newbies by any stretch of the imagination.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Mac
GAA: 2.81
SV%: .884

Great decision by Dubas to keep Sparks.
I don't know why people post numbers when:

Sparks:
GAA: 4.00
SV%: .879

It's like, hey look how awful Mc has been, then you realize our guys is still worse. So compelling.

I'm convinced Dubas didn't think both would get claimed off waivers, and I was surprised as well. If he wasn't surprised, then he takes some responsibility for our current lack of goalie depth, which nobody can really be happy about. I mean are we cheerleading here or looking with a critical eye?

So far Dubas gets a B plus from me. Tavares, the draft, handling Nylander are thumbs up. Some hires I like, some I don't, that's a wash. Thumbs down on falling in love with his Marlies team. Average out to a big passing grade for me. Others can do the black and white thing, I have no time for unconditional pumping.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No he hasn’t. He’s LOOKED terrible and has a worse sv%.

The Canes game against the Wild a couple weeks ago was an absolutely pathetic performance by him.

Mac's numbers are better in every way.

Sparks has a 4.00 GAA and a 879 SV%

Mac has a 2.81 GAA 884 SV% those are the facts as of today

You just decided to lie

Reactions: DavePoulin4PM

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Mac's numbers are better in every way.

Sparks has a 4.00 GAA and a 879 SV%

Mac has a 2.81 GAA 884 SV% those are the facts as of today

You just decided to lie

Being mistaken isn’t the same as lying....

I thought Sparks had a .889 sv%.

Either way, Mac’s numbers are still garbage, even for a backup.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
apparently he thinks Matthews and Marner should have been signed back in the spring as well, even though they weren't eligible to sign extensions until July. he should really keep his mouth shut at this point. Dubas earned the GM spot over him fair and square

The fact that he doesn’t understand the basics of RFA rules is a good sign whybhe didn’t get the promotion he wanted

Reactions: Liminality

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I don't know why people post numbers when:

Sparks:
GAA: 4.00
SV%: .879

It's like, hey look how awful Mc has been, then you realize our guys is still worse. So compelling.

I'm convinced Dubas didn't think both would get claimed off waivers, and I was surprised as well. If he wasn't surprised, then he takes some responsibility for our current lack of goalie depth, which nobody can really be happy about. I mean are we cheerleading here or looking with a critical eye?

So far Dubas gets a B plus from me. Tavares, the draft, handling Nylander are thumbs up. Some hires I like, some I don't, that's a wash. Thumbs down on falling in love with his Marlies team. Average out to a big passing grade for me. Others can do the black and white thing, I have no time for unconditional pumping.

They've all been bad. When you get to sub-0.900 save percentages, what's the sense of differentiating? It's bad all around.

What this proves is that Dubas had three sub-par options, and he chose the younger one to see what he could do. Some would call this prioritizing development.

People are so hung up on a position on our team that is the most easily and affordably upgraded position in the entire league. Every summer backup goalies flood the market, and every season they hit the waiver wire for pennies, and teams can plug and play wherever they wish.

"Yeah, he signed the biggest UFA of all-time and has shown a lot of patience and backbone with tough and complicated Nylander negotiations, but I don't like what he did with our backup goalie and #7 & #8 dmen so passing grade from me."

Reactions: DoobieDubas

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Dubas gets a pass for the back up goalies.

Sparks,McBackup, and Pickard are garbage.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How about the whole bloody lot of them suck? Which is true

In that situation I take the young guy with the upside, not the bad old dude

They all suck that's true.

But don't tell me that Sparks has been better than Mac because he hasn't and don't tell me that handing Sparks the job was right thing because it clearly wasn't.

The right thing to do if you are going to replace Make is get a free agent backup.

Dubas didn't put ANY effort into addressing the backup goalie situation and now we are paying for it.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

But don't tell me that Sparks has been better than Mac because he hasn't and don't tell me that handing Sparks the job was right thing because it clearly wasn't.

The right thing to do if you are going to replace Make is get a free agent backup.

Dubas didn't put ANY effort into addressing the backup goalie situation and now we are paying for it.
So the right thing to do was get another FA backup and lose 3 goalies to waivers? Sparks was going to be claimed if he was put on waivers, so no matter what the choice was there was going to be no depth left.

They made the decision to keep the guy who had just dominated the next best NA league, and has been groomed by our system. Dubas came in with 3 choices, and made his decision (and I assume it wasn't solely Dubas, despite the fact that people want to hate him for it) for better or worse.

Reactions: Menzinger

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If the Leafs have kept McBackup, let Pickard go on waivers to be claimed, and did the same with Sparks (or even if he passed through waivers) - people wouldn't be happy that they kept the old back up with no future over the other guys.

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
If we could get over the no-win back up situation

q1g68.jpg

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Sparks may have a decent future still and we're not going to know either way unless he was given an opportunity

Going outside of the organization for a backup would have been insane, then all three of the other guys would have ended up on waivers

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Do we need a UFA backup right now? Seems like there was an abnormal amount of injuries to goalies this summer/preseason and like we should expect options available on waiver in the next month or so.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don’t understand what Sparks has for the “future”. Andy isn’t going anywhere for years, and even his biggest fans don’t actually think Sparks is an NHL starter, so isn’t this the end of the line for Sparks, isn’t this his final destination? If you agree then why let go a guy who did his job for an if with no more upside, apart from age. And all these people saying it’s so easy to find a backup, okay, but don’t suck and blow then because when Mc got too old no problemo finding another guy right? That’s the logic argued, so it fits into all scenarios.

Again what’s the “future” with Sparks? This is it as far as I’m concerned, he will never challenge Andersen, let’s keep it real. Anyways.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Imagine the **** show if Andersen goes down for the season.

Oo0000f. that'd get ugly quick
We are gambling right now with our goalie depth, there is literally nothing that could step in. I suspect Dubas has some contingencies, feels like we are really vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad