Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Call me nuts but I didn't think he did a bad job. Yes hindsight is 20/20, but at the time he made the decisions he did, a lot of fans did like his moves. Some worked out, and some didn't, but as a whole compared to the rest of the league I thought he did a good job.

Reactions: uncleben

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He gets shit on for the Kadri trade, but people forget the original trade was Bennett and Brodie but Kadri blocked it.

Regardless it sounds like this is his choice, MLSE wanted to extend him.

No it wasn't.

The trade was Jankowski + Brodie for Kadri + Brown

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Call me nuts but I didn't think he did a bad job. Yes hindsight is 20/20, but at the time he made the decisions he did, a lot of fans did like his moves. Some worked out, and some didn't, but as a whole compared to the rest of the league I thought he did a good job.
Big problem was the ridiculous early vision of a winning team he had, and commuting huge salary to a couple of gutless players.

That was early on. After those mistakes, he did do well trying anything and everything around those early mistakes that handcuffed him in terms of being able to buy proper goaltending/depth etc.

He was commuted to a couple of spineless players, but he tried sooo many things around those two guys, I’m not sure anything would actually work with them.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
He was gifted a pretty stout core and never put the polish on it to get it even all that close to a cup. I don’t think he’s shrewd enough with cap space and really maximizing value for the dollar on either core or non-core players.
Actually, he inherited relatively little compared to what he was able to put together over his tenure. The core was there (minus Tavares), but the rest mostly consisted of UFAs, cap dumps and some young forwards who hadn't quite blossomed by that point. Dubas did a fantastic job strengthening the roster around the core, but unfortunately, when you're judged on the smallest possible sample size, bad things can happen.

Unless Toronto somehow gets Tulsky, there is nobody available that is even close to being or realistically becoming a capable replacement for Dubas.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gotta wonder whose decision it was. And gotta wonder what happens with Shanahan.

Could Dubas still take over as president?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I think scheduled protest at MLSE HQ where they light themselves on fire in front of the building
1684516822105.png

• Haha
Reactions: PromisedLand

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Actually, he inherited relatively little compared to what he was able to put together over his tenure. The core was there (minus Tavares), but the rest mostly consisted of UFAs, cap dumps and some young forwards who hadn't quite blossomed by that point. Dubas did a fantastic job strengthening the roster around the core, but unfortunately, when you're judged on the smallest possible sample size, bad things can happen.

Unless Toronto somehow gets Tulsky, there is nobody available that is even close to being or realistically becoming a capable replacement for Dubas.

Wrong. Dubas inherited a solid core and the biggest asset a team can have, cap space. Think of Seattle but with ELC Marner, Matthews and Nylander.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I wonder if their next GM will value goalies more than Dubas ?
Probably just recycle used goalies and hope for a different result lol.
They got beat badly by a Florida team that values goalies and is now 3 games from the cup final.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Kyle made his share of solid trades, draft picks & signings when viewed in a vacuum, but collectively none of it helped the team come close to post-season success. And ultimately that's the measure of his work.

For example, bringing in ROR, Acciari, McCabe and Lafferty at the trade deadline all seemed like really solid moves. But after the deadline the team never seemed to gel, though in fairness Keefe's never-ending line tinkering didn't help. But Dubas knew his coach and so he can't use that as an excuse when he made the deals.

A few observers noted at the time perhaps it was too much to bring in with <20 games left in the season and secondly, all those additions suggested the team wasn't that solid to begin with or else those trades wouldn't have been necessary.

In an ideal scenario Kyle would probably have worked out fine continuing as an AGM with a lot of pull in actual trades, drafting and balancing the cap but underneath the direction of a seasoned GM who could manage contract negotiations and decide on personnel ("we need this player, come up with some trade scenarios that work within our cap structure", etc.). Of course I highly doubt Dubas would have accepted a demotion so here we are, it's probably best he moves on.

Now the big concern in Leafland is that Shanahan will be the one deciding on who the next GM is and I don't think there's a lot of faith he's going to hit a home run with his pick. In part because this organization very rarely hits a home run hiring anyone.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's very rare to see someone accomplish so little while raking in so much public acclaim.

Whichever team this guy goes to will probably see about the same results as the Leafs while he embarrasses himself by picking fights with opposing fans in the home team's club section.

Huge W for the Leafs today, IMO. Pains me to see it.
Dubas made a lot of good moves for a roster with a fatal flaw, which was also his fault.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
For Toronto's sake, I hope he isn't the only one not returning, and I'm not only talking about Keefe here.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Wrong. Dubas inherited a solid core and the biggest asset a team can have, cap space. Think of Seattle but with ELC Marner, Matthews and Nylander.
Cap space gets you to 0 points. Asset management gets you to, let's say, 107, which just happened to be the Leafs' average per 82 games during Dubas' tenure.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Firing Dubas before Keefe is why there’s an L in Leafs
But isn't the distinction according to the sum of reports that Toronto offered the extension (in effect extending him) and Dubas declined?

Perhaps on the required mandate that Dubas fire Keefe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad