LeBrun: " Kyle Dubas is listening to everyone on his roster outside of his "core guys" "

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He'll be 34, but your premise still stands. Also, why the Pens did mot pay a premium is the low retention. A fact that they themselves would have to retain to get a 1st back.

But lets not dummy down Karlsson too much, he's on pace for 60 points even with a failing PP and a poorly constructed team.
I love Karlsson and thoroughly enjoyed him as a Shark, don’t get me wrong. But 60 point Karlsson just isn’t a valuable player when you take into account his poor defense, age, and contract. And mind you, Karlsson is a big part of why the Penguins’ PP is so bad—he was never that good on the PP in SJ, almost all his value came from even strength where he was a wizard.

My overarching point is that it’s hilarious to see Penguins fans bragging about how they paid practically nothing for Karlsson and then talking about how they’ll sell him in the same breath.

That has always been the context people have talked about when they say "the Penguins will be able to recover the value they traded for Karlsson". No one is talking about trading him right now, it's trading him in 2-3 years when Malkin and Crosby are on the verge of retiring and Karlsson would be basically a rental for whoever would acquire him.

If Karlsson doesn't regress much in the next 2-3 years, he'll absolutely bring back a haul when the Penguins decide to finally truly blow it up and start the rebuild.
Who is people and who is always? Forgive me for assuming they meant this deadline/off-season in a thread where the premise is Dubas taking calls on everyone but Crosby/Malkin/Letang right now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Who is people and who is always? Forgive me for assuming they meant this deadline/off-season in a thread where the premise is Dubas taking calls on everyone but Crosby/Malkin/Letang right now.

There is no reason to think that Karlsson isn't included with the Crosby/Malkin/Letang group.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
There is no reason to think that Karlsson isn't included with the Crosby/Malkin/Letang group.

Doubt it. Those guys have their cups, Karlsson probably wants nothing more than to play on a contender to give himself the best chance, or just a playoff team to give himself any chance.

Penguins window is done, they tried to give it one last shot this year but it didn't work out.

But Karlsson trade is probably only made in the offseason.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Doubt it. Those guys have their cups, Karlsson probably wants nothing more than to play on a contender to give himself the best chance, or just a playoff team to give himself any chance.

Penguins window is done, they tried to give it one last shot this year but it didn't work out.

But Karlsson trade is probably only made in the offseason.

Dubas was directly asked about that in his press conference today. He said Karlsson will play a training/leadership role for the Pens younger players as they go through the retool.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Spends assets to acquire Karlsson + Smith, team bottoms out, and now wants to sell non-core assets.

So team will be even worse without recouping quality futures.

The directionless Dubas MO continues.

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Karlsson isn't being traded unless he asks for another trade, which I wouldn't blame him.

So in just under 6 months they went from trading draft picks for 30+ Karlsson and Smith, to now having their long term vision be they want to get younger :laugh:

Should have started that 6 months ago.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So in just under 6 months they went from trading draft picks for 30+ Karlsson and Smith, to now having their long term vision be they want to get younger :laugh:

Should have started that 6 months ago.

Both of those deals were no brainers, though. They got Smith for a 3rd and Karlsson for a cap dump, a 1st and 2nd. Neither of those deals were issues, although Smith has allegedly been pouting in Pittsburgh and he didn't want to leave Vegas in the first place.

Their issue is that they have an atrocious powerplay due to bad coaching and no depth due to mismanagement by Hextall and JR (mostly Hextall). I partially blame Dubas for the powerplay, because he has the power to fire coaches and make changes and he's not doing that. But with the lack of depth, that's something that will just take years of smart moves and rebuilding the prospect pool to fix.

I think Dubas has done a mediocre job so far, but I wouldn't point at the Karlsson or Smith trades as evidence of that. I'd mostly point at him slobbering over Sullivan when he's clearly past his expiration date as the main thing he's doing badly.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Who isn't listening to offers for non core players?
It's Kyle's trademark from Toronto: "I'm willing to listen on my non core guys and I'm open to adding a top 6 forward, top 4 D or a #1 goalie with a cap hit of around $750k".

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Nope, just Crosby, Malkin and Letang. EK has done nothing in a Pens uniform.
Well that's just inaccurate.

Guy is on pace for 60 pts, which will have him between the top 10-15 in defender scoring, while being "coached" by Sullivan to "take his game to a new level" which is Sullivan speak for neutering him into play Sullivan's style even when that us counter intuitive to what the team needs.

i.e let's take a offensive first defender and have him play it safe on a team that is starved for goals. . .

When he was playing regularly with Peterson EK was not only putting up points but together with petterson had some of the best advanced metrics for a pairing in the league.

But since Sullivan can't accept karlsson and petterson as the real "top pairing" on the roster he took petts and moved him onto letang's pairing since letang and graves weren't working, and moved graves with EK when this move was detrimental to the team and stalled out EKs production.

It also doesn't help that the powerplay scheme, for some illogical reason, wasn't built to go through EK like it used to be built to go through Kessel. And even when the team finally split Geno and sid and letang and EK, they put sid and letang together and Geno and EK together when Geno and EK are like and water.

I would say the EK has been productive in spite of Sullivan's mismanagement

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
Man, this is just blowing up beautifully...lol

Trade for EK and now have to trade Jake...wow!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad