Kucherov vs Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Better RW

• Kane

• Kucherov

Results are only viewable after voting.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Kane with the greater overall career as of now due to significantly more contributions to his team.

Kucherov is probably the better player though - which is the poll question here. So I answered Kucherov.

That said, "greater" is more important than "better" IMO.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Higher scoring era look at the numbers in elimination games and try again junior. When things don’t go his way odds are Kucherov would do something dumb and take himself out of the game (like 2019)
And even with all that he still has two back to back cups where he led the playoffs in scoring. In 2021 he was 10 points ahead of the next closest. For any scoring era that's impressive. Kane does better in elimination games, but Kucherov is better in games that clinch the elimination games and while not great, he's not terrible in elimination games.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
And even with all that he still has two back to back cups where he led the playoffs in scoring. In 2021 he was 10 points ahead of the next closest. For any scoring era that's impressive. Kane does better in elimination games, but Kucherov is better in games that clinch the elimination games and while not great, he's not terrible in elimination games.

Eh those years were in highly irregular COVID seasons though.

Still produces outside them but can't get over the hump

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Eh those years were in highly irregular COVID seasons though.

Still produces outside them but can't get over the hump
Everybody had the same circumstances so i don’t get why that matters tbh. Going back to back is difficult no matter what

Reactions: kp61c

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Kane with the greater overall career as of now due to significantly more contributions to his team.

Kucherov is probably the better player though - which is the poll question here. So I answered Kucherov.

That said, "greater" is more important than "better" IMO.

Curious what makes you say Kucherov is better. Kane has been a better goal scorer in a lower scoring era at his best in the regular season and playoffs with worse linemates.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don’t see the argument for Malkin and Kucherov being equal.

Do best 5 seasons and best 5 playoff runs side by side and it's close. I don't think Kucherov has passed Malkin, still half the career length, but I think his prime is shaping up to be quite comparable to Malkin and could surpass it.

Malkin still has the best playoff run with 2009 - but Kucherov's best isn't far off. And if you rank their combined top 5 playoff runs 1 to 10, not so sure Kucherov doesn't come out ahead, and maybe by quite a bit.

Better season? A lot of people love Malkin 2012 - which I agree is great - not so sure how much stronger if at all it is than Kucherov in 2018-2019. Again, do top 5 seasons of each player combined and rank them 1 to 10, it's getting close. Still think Malkin comes out ahead, but not by much.

Depending on how Kucherov does over the next ~3-5 years, I think him passing Malkin for career is a plausible target.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Do best 5 seasons and best 5 playoff runs side by side and it's close. I don't think Kucherov has passed Malkin, still half the career length, but I think his prime is shaping up to be quite comparable to Malkin and could surpass it.

Malkin still has the best playoff run with 2009 - but Kucherov's best isn't far off. And if you rank their combined top 5 playoff runs 1 to 10, not so sure Kucherov doesn't come out ahead, and maybe by quite a bit.

Better season? A lot of people love Malkin 2012 - which I agree is great - not so sure how much stronger if at all it is than Kucherov in 2018-2019. Again, do top 5 seasons of each player combined and rank them 1 to 10, it's getting close. Still think Malkin comes out ahead, but not by much.

Depending on how Kucherov does over the next ~3-5 years, I think him passing Malkin for career is a plausible target.

Malkin comes out ahead because he’s the better player. Kucherov can only surpass him in career value at this point

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Their playoff resumes are pretty much a wash right?

Through their 29 year old season.

Malkin - 1.04
Kucherov - 1.13

Malkin played in a much different league right?

Regular season.

Malkin - 1, 1, 2, 4
Kucherov - 1, 3, 3, 5, 6

Not really sure what Kucherov has over Malkin especially when you factor in Malkin have an additional cup, a Smythe, a Calder, another Ross,

Their playoff resumes are pretty much a wash right?

Through their 29 year old season.

Malkin - 1.04
Kucherov - 1.13

Malkin played in a much different league right?

Regular season.

Malkin - 1, 1, 2, 4
Kucherov - 1, 3, 3, 5, 6

Not really sure what Kucherov has over Malkin especially when you factor in Malkin have an additional cup, a Smythe, a Calder, another Ross,

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Good poll. I'd choose Kane but it's very close. I think Kane didn't exactly have the same kind of talent around him, and also played in a lower scoring era... but I also think Kucherov was the second best after McDavid these last few years. Tough choice.
He had sharp who I think also played up with toews and hossa while Kane played with guys like Bolland and bickell who were good on their own right but Kane carried them heavily he was always carrying his own line during cup wins

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
A lot of people beat prime Crosby for a scoring title though. Definitely a less rare feat.

Maybe, but I don't see that as a big plus for Kuch that season...you switch him and Kane that year and Kane wins the Art Ross and Hart too...and with his superior play in the playoffs maybe even the cup

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Maybe, but I don't see that as a big plus for Kuch that season...you switch him and Kane that year and Kane wins the Art Ross and Hart too...and with his superior play in the playoffs maybe even the cup
I don’t think it’s guarantee you switch them and Kane almost 130 points. Very few players in recent history have risen to that number. That being said this is close and I take zero issue with someone saying Kane. Kane is an insane player who has a crazy career as well.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Kuch is bigger, and isn't a cab driver not expecting it. I think Kucherov would beat Kane pretty soundly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad