Proposal: Kucherov to the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
You're seriously asking to take our best and most clutch scorer over the past two postseasons right in the middle of our Cup window?!? And break up the line with perhaps the best synergy in the entire league?!?

Let me be perfectly clear about this: Toronto doesn't have the pieces to get Kucherov from Tampa. Toronto doesn't even have the pieces to start a conversation with Tampa about getting Kucherov. END OF THREAD.

Yep I 100 percent agree

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
1st proposal is bad for Tampa. 2nd proposal makes no sense for Toronto. If we're spending those assets it will be on a defenceman.

Also stop posting proposals, they're not getting any better

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
:leafs

Kucherov (RFA rights)

:bolts

JVR

2016 2nd round pick

Bolts, who are under extreme cap duress (Johnson, Palat, Drouin, etc) get a top pairing LW for Stamkos on a cap friendly deal while adding a high 2nd (likely 31-35th overall) and Leafs get an impact winger for the Matthews line.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Nikita Kucherov (RFA Rights)

JVR (30% retention)

William Nylander

2016 2nd

Revised proposal.

Is it really that horrible? If so I apologize, I thought this was a fair deal. I'll edit the proposal.

Yea that JVR and 2nd round pick was really really horrible for Lightning.

The revised one don't see Maple Leafs wanting to do.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I love, love Kucherov. But why would we want to trade William Nylander for him? He's probably going to be as good. Last season, they scored at verrry similar rates (1.88 points/60min for Kucherov, vs 1.73 for Nylander). However, Nylander played with inferior linemates, yet actually put up more primary points (goals + first assists) than Kucherov (1.73 per 60, vs 1.54 for Kucherov).

Nylander was used more in the defensive zone (38% dzone starts, vs 31.5% for Kucherov), and actually faced much stronger quality of competition.

If Nylander is succeeding like this at 19, imagine what he'll do at 23.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
You're seriously asking to take our best and most clutch scorer over the past two postseasons right in the middle of our Cup window?!? And break up the line with perhaps the best synergy in the entire league?!?

Let me be perfectly clear about this: Toronto doesn't have the pieces to get Kucherov from Tampa. Toronto doesn't even have the pieces to start a conversation with Tampa about getting Kucherov. END OF THREAD.

While I agree this proposal is ludacrous to say the least, Toronto most definitely has the pieces to get kucherov. Would we trade them for him? No of course not. However we certainly do have the pieces to get him. Matthews? Marner? Nylander? Neither team makes this kind of deal for all sorts of reasons but the value is clearly there.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
When do Leaf fans learn about how taxes work in Florida? I think it was that Toronto would have to pay Stamkos 12 million for him to make the same(after taxes of course) as the 8.5 million from Tampa? Yzerman is going to get a discount on Kuch, just like he got with Hedman and Stamkos.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
He is really that expensive? He's only hit elite levels of offensive impact this season. I'd argue anything you pay for him is for purely projections rather than past production.

Was it the 1 extra goal and 0 extra assists from his totals 2 seasons ago that really put him into the elite numbers this season?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I'd take Kucherov over anything the Leafs have to offer, probably including Matthews.

He's a top 15 forward IMO.

And TB is a serious win now team. And while their likely set beyond the now, draft picks and prospects really do nothing for them. They still have some good prospects up front (Erne, Point and we can still call Drouin a borderline prospect/graduate until he plays a full season). Plus whatever they get in return for Bishop.

If money for Kucherov was really a problem, they probably would've let Stamkos walk. Considering Kucherov is the better player. Or at least the more attractive piece build your team around.

Stevie Y clearly knows what he's doing. I bet he gets a similar deal to what FF got.

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Just as I was thinking earlier that leafs extremists were on a good streak of no terrible proposals...

Sorry TB fans...keep your team and cup window.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
While I agree this proposal is ludacrous to say the least, Toronto most definitely has the pieces to get kucherov. Would we trade them for him? No of course not. However we certainly do have the pieces to get him. Matthews? Marner? Nylander? Neither team makes this kind of deal for all sorts of reasons but the value is clearly there.

Kucherov has been the best scorer in the league over the last two postseasons and trading him closes our Cup window. Even if you offered us all three of those prospects in return it would be at least a couple years before they would reach Kucherov's value and even that is uncertain given that two of them have yet to play a shift in the NHL and the third hasn't even sniffed the playoffs.

Stamkos is an enormous question mark and has been a passenger in the postseason, Johnson has durability concerns, and who knows what Drouin's attitude will be like going forward; by the time your three players are ready to contribute in a major way our remaining top forwards may be ineffective or gone. In short there isn't an offer you could make that would be worth trading Kucherov and taking such a massive risk for - at least not without involving a third team to send us a stud forward who can fill Kucherov's shoes now in addition to the massive haul of futures that would be required to incentivize us to make such a deal in the first place.

So no, you don't have the pieces. We're trying to win the Cup now, not draft day.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
The idea of replacing Kucherov with JVR makes sense if Kucherov wasn't a key key piece moving forward and if the Lightning had a closing window.

However their window isn't closing and Kucherov is their best forward.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Kucherov has been the best scorer in the league over the last two postseasons and trading him closes our Cup window. Even if you offered us all three of those prospects in return it would be at least a couple years before they would reach Kucherov's value and even that is uncertain given that two of them have yet to play a shift in the NHL and the third hasn't even sniffed the playoffs.

Stamkos is an enormous question mark and has been a passenger in the postseason, Johnson has durability concerns, and who knows what Drouin's attitude will be like going forward; by the time your three players are ready to contribute in a major way our remaining top forwards may be ineffective or gone. In short there isn't an offer you could make that would be worth trading Kucherov and taking such a massive risk for - at least not without involving a third team to send us a stud forward who can fill Kucherov's shoes now in addition to the massive haul of futures that would be required to incentivize us to make such a deal in the first place.

So no, you don't have the pieces. We're trying to win the Cup now, not draft day.
to be fair there isn't an asset the leafs would trade Matthews for on the bolts. He's everything we have needed in a player since sundin hung em up. Kucherov is a great player but Matthews has a higher ceiling and will be a star. Also wouldn't do the nylander plus jvr plus 2nd for kucherov. The leafs aren't a playoffs team with kucherov or without him. No need to trade a guy like nylander who can become a kucherov type talent plus jvr. Also understand the bolts not wanting to trade him away as like you said your trying to win now. This thread doesn't consider where the bolts and leafs are at right now and moving forward.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Another person who needs to stop making bad trade proposals...

Preach brother, look I guess everybody believes in their own mind the armchair GM-Ing they are proposing is valid in some capacity but this poster's proposals have to be some of the worst I have ever seen. I got an infraction because I used the "T" used to describe them because what else could you use to describe proposals that are so horrendously bad they warrant a "Come on Man" after ready them.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
to be fair there isn't an asset the leafs would trade Matthews for on the bolts. He's everything we have needed in a player since sundin hung em up. Kucherov is a great player but Matthews has a higher ceiling and will be a star. Also wouldn't do the nylander plus jvr plus 2nd for kucherov. The leafs aren't a playoffs team with kucherov or without him. No need to trade a guy like nylander who can become a kucherov type talent plus jvr. Also understand the bolts not wanting to trade him away as like you said your trying to win now. This thread doesn't consider where the bolts and leafs are at right now and moving forward.

Kucherov is only 23 and still under team control for several more years. He's a player that Toronto can build around and is going to get better. Dealing a prospect for a young super star is an easy decision.

nikyc

Nov 16, 2011

Kucherov (RFA rights)

JVR

2016 2nd round pick

Bolts, who are under extreme cap duress (Johnson, Palat, Drouin, etc) get a top pairing LW for Stamkos on a cap friendly deal while adding a high 2nd (likely 31-35th overall) and Leafs get an impact winger for the Matthews line.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Nikita Kucherov (RFA Rights)

JVR (30% retention)

William Nylander

2016 2nd

Revised proposal.

The lightning certainly are not going to get rid of who could take over as there best player. That would be just plain lunacy.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Kucherov is only 23 and still under team control for several more years. He's a player that Toronto can build around and is going to get better. Dealing a prospect for a young super star is an easy decision.
The proposal has jvr who himself is a 1st line player, plus a top 5 prospect. While kucherov is a great player, he would need a new contract in a couple of years and the leafs should be missing the playoffs for another 2 years. He could want to leave or ask for a trade if he gets tried of waiting for the leafs to become good. While the value may be favoring the leafs initially, most leaf fans are very high on nylander and are confident he will become a star guy like kucherov became over the past two years. Plus if we trade jvr we would do it for a dmen that helps build the team/ By trading jvr we lose our best bet to get another top 4 dmen(that is if we decide to trade him)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad