Kraken 24/25 HC speculation

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
I have no idea what Francis plans to do. He mentioned the lack of scoring as a big issue and the need to create more offense during the exit interviews. I am not convinced that any of our CVF players are ready to step up and producing right away. I have concerns about Shane Wright already been pencilled in as a 2C.

Our roster has so many holes. Lack of talent cannot be fixed in one off-season but Francis can certainly improve the roster for now and the future. If he wants to play the kids, I am hoping he trades some vets and creates more spots. Gourde, Tanev, Larsson are on expiring contracts. If you are just going to waste their season might as well look at trading them.

If you want to make the playoffs this season, or show improvement, I would want to see Gourde/Tanev moved out and make a move for Guentzel/Reinhart/trade to add more scoring. Get a better defensive 3C in.
I'm a Yanni fan from way back (Bolts) , but you're right on the money. He,Tanev and Larsson have solid trade value and would need new contracts to stick around. I'd be surprised if they don't bring big value back in trade.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Gourde and Tanev out? The heart and soul, high effort, playoff ready guys? Can't agree with that idea but if they wanted to move them they should call Buffalo. Exactly the type of players Buffalo wants/needs and is looking for and they have a plethora of young scorers and potential scorers.

I do wonder however, if it won't be an even bigger step backwards next season and yes, Wright will be 2C.
My desire to move out Gourde and Tanev is predicated on the fact that we are not planning to compete this season. If the idea is to go with the kids and not add any impactful FA's, then it may be a good idea to move out guys like Gourde and Tanev. If not this off-season atleast at the TDL if we are completely out of the playoff race, which I would expect unless Bylsma is a magician. Both are 32 and do not fit the timeline going forward. I don't want to lose Larsson but he may be someone to consider moving at the TDL IF he does not want to re-sign here.

Like you, I also expect to see this as a step backwards year, which is why I am concerned about wasting the last years for Gourde, Tanev and Larsson for nothing. Better to move them now, if possible, to use the 2024 draft and get 1 season ahead than wait to move them at the 2024-25 TDL and add another season to our timeline.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I wonder how many HC candidates the team even spoke to before deciding?

Either way, Dan is the guy now so I'll just wait and see what he's learned since Buffalo. Not much point in crying about it.

I imagine the team likes the idea of him graduating along with several of the players he'll continue to coach. Maybe Wright likes him, who knows.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I understand why the Kraken may take a step back next year before a giant leap forward by playing the kids, but I concur with you guys in that I’m not sure our prospects are THERE yet. There’s a lot to like in the pipeline, but I really hope the plan isn’t to rush development.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I wonder how many HC candidates the team even spoke to before deciding?

Either way, Dan is the guy now so I'll just wait and see what he's learned since Buffalo. Not much point in crying about it.

I imagine the team likes the idea of him graduating along with several of the players he'll continue to coach. Maybe Wright likes him, who knows.
As per Francis there were 5 serious candidates. I did listed to ECH after the presser and they seem to think that since 2 of the candidates were internal, the job was really Bylsma's to lose. Also, I am pretty sure the fact that Bylsma is known to be a players coach would work better with the kids. I am paraphrasing here but Bylsma himself said that he has had to adjust on how to coach today's players/kids. More constructive criticism.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My desire to move out Gourde and Tanev is predicated on the fact that we are not planning to compete this season. If the idea is to go with the kids and not add any impactful FA's, then it may be a good idea to move out guys like Gourde and Tanev. If not this off-season atleast at the TDL if we are completely out of the playoff race, which I would expect unless Bylsma is a magician. Both are 32 and do not fit the timeline going forward. I don't want to lose Larsson but he may be someone to consider moving at the TDL IF he does not want to re-sign here.

Like you, I also expect to see this as a step backwards year, which is why I am concerned about wasting the last years for Gourde, Tanev and Larsson for nothing. Better to move them now, if possible, to use the 2024 draft and get 1 season ahead than wait to move them at the 2024-25 TDL and add another season to our timeline.

The best time to move them would be at the deadline. I think best returns will be then.

And it helps hold the team together, I am not a fan of blowing it up and having our best young talent develop in a low standards environment. I've seen that happen so many times and it ruins young players.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The best time to move them would be at the deadline. I think best returns will be then.

And it helps hold the team together, I am not a fan of blowing it up and having our best young talent develop in a low standards environment. I've seen that happen so many times and it ruins young players.
Thats fair. I am ok with moving them at the TDL as well. The only risk at that time is injuries, or terrible performance this coming season.

Also, Tanev is the only one I would move in the offseason. I would keep Gourde until the TDL and try to extend Larsson if possible. Of course, Gourde gives the team a fallback plan of sorts if Wright struggles as 2C, which I do expect to happen. I expect Beniers to be our 1C, but we can run Gourde as 2C and start Wright at 3C to ease him in.

Lets see what Francis does this offseason. That will give us a good idea if the team is likely to be sellers at the TDL.

Reactions: majormajor

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I have no idea what Francis plans to do. He mentioned the lack of scoring as a big issue and the need to create more offense during the exit interviews. I am not convinced that any of our CVF players are ready to step up and producing right away. I have concerns about Shane Wright already been pencilled in as a 2C.

Our roster has so many holes. Lack of talent cannot be fixed in one off-season but Francis can certainly improve the roster for now and the future. If he wants to play the kids, I am hoping he trades some vets and creates more spots. Gourde, Tanev, Larsson are on expiring contracts. If you are just going to waste their season might as well look at trading them.

If you want to make the playoffs this season, or show improvement, I would want to see Gourde/Tanev moved out and make a move for Guentzel/Reinhart/trade to add more scoring. Get a better defensive 3C in.

I think it's going to be an in between thing again with kids and veterans.

If you watched the press conference and just listened to Francis and Bylsma you would've thought they're starting a youth movement with how much they talked about that.

But that only lasted until Sam Hollloway(Bonderman's daughter and basically the Kraken's CEO) was asked about the goals and clearly stated it's about winning.

Overall you proably have to move at least one out of Gourde or Tanev anyways given that you need spots in the lineup if you want to bring in talent.

BTW: It seems like the Kraken are considering Jessica Campbell for an assistant coaching spot under Bylsma.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

I thought both Tanev and Gourde lost a step last year. I'd still be bummed about losing Gourde but I get it.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I thought both Tanev and Gourde lost a step last year. I'd still be bummed about losing Gourde but I get it.
Yeah. But the loss of Donato and Sprong could explain the team's and Tanev's lack of production. He had better linemates until this season. Gourde's lack of production is likely explained by how bad the team was. Almost everyone saw a drop in production.

But given their playstyle, I expect both of them to start losing effectiveness in another year or two.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021

Okay I agree with the timing here. If we aren't in it (as we probably won't be) near or at trade deadline is the time to move Gourde and Tanev. They are the kind of player playoff teams will want and that will be when they have peak value.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I think it's going to be an in between thing again with kids and veterans.

If you watched the press conference and just listened to Francis and Bylsma you would've thought they're starting a youth movement with how much they talked about that.

But that only lasted until Sam Hollloway(Bonderman's daughter and basically the Kraken's CEO) was asked about the goals and clearly stated it's about winning.

Overall you proably have to move at least one out of Gourde or Tanev anyways given that you need spots in the lineup if you want to bring in talent.

BTW: It seems like the Kraken are considering Jessica Campbell for an assistant coaching spot under Bylsma.
It smacks of ownership putting pressure on Francis. A lot of the moves so far makes me think the relevancy concern in this market is true and they are trying to get more season tickets- moving from Root to OTA to me means they want to sell more advertising and attract more fans for season books. New coach who has had some success and working with our current prospects (i'm guessing Hakstol may have got another year if up to Francis). I'm willing to bet they also put pressure to get a quality first line player in whether via trade or free agency which i'm sure is also something Francis would rather do by hoping a prospect pops instead.

People can dismiss that but Kraken tickets aren't cheap. If they want to keep charging those prices they have to do something, especially if/when the Sonics come back. I know there isn't always cross over but they play roughly in the same months and they'll become the shiny new thing and won't be cheap either. You'll be competing against the Seahawks, Sounders, maybe at times Mariners, Sonics, Huskies- football and basketball. I get Seattle is a wealthy market but there's only so much disposable income and while fans of any team in any market won't admit it, no one likes supporting a loser/mediocre team.

It does make me wonder if the GM and ownership are on the same page re: approach.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It smacks of ownership putting pressure on Francis. A lot of the moves so far makes me think the relevancy concern in this market is true and they are trying to get more season tickets- moving from Root to OTA to me means they want to sell more advertising and attract more fans for season books. New coach who has had some success and working with our current prospects (i'm guessing Hakstol may have got another year if up to Francis). I'm willing to bet they also put pressure to get a quality first line player in whether via trade or free agency which i'm sure is also something Francis would rather do by hoping a prospect pops instead.

People can dismiss that but Kraken tickets aren't cheap. If they want to keep charging those prices they have to do something, especially if/when the Sonics come back. I know there isn't always cross over but they play roughly in the same months and they'll become the shiny new thing and won't be cheap either. You'll be competing against the Seahawks, Sounders, maybe at times Mariners, Sonics, Huskies- football and basketball. I get Seattle is a wealthy market but there's only so much disposable income and while fans of any team in any market won't admit it, no one likes supporting a loser/mediocre team.

It does make me wonder if the GM and ownership are on the same page re: approach.
I think they were until we made the playoffs in our 2nd season. Our 2nd season was a jump from 60 to 100 points. This season is smack in the middle with 81 points. If they had a 70-80 point 2nd season and then were in the 80-90 range this season (like we are), we would likely be selling vets to load up. Both last season and this season.

I get where management is coming from. And they are the ones who will dictate where the team goes. If Francis has his hands tied, then he needs to start taking some risks so that the team can be competitive. If all we are going to do is waiting for our prospects to pan out, Francis is unlikely to have a job for much longer given managements expectations.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I went ahead and moved all the fantasy trade talk to the off-season chatter thread so we can get back to being the board that has the highest prevalence of the word "disco".

The more I like about the Disco Dan hire, the more I like the Disco Dan hire. Frankly... who else? Isn't that really the issue? Disco Dan is definitely among the best available options that aren't a trial run at NHL head coaching. A known commodity is pretty much needed at the HC position at this point for the Kraken. Hakstol was their "unproven guy getting a chance". Now we need the proven guy.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad