Kraken 2024 Offseason chatter

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think you're being a little hard on Stephenson, he's a decent hockey player, but really, he's a 3rd line guy not a top 6 guy and we've just paid him to be a top 6 guy with too much term on top of that. By the end of that deal he's going to be a 4th line guy at best (unless we suck bad).Dr

I'm honestly not sure what this team is doing or thinking. We have additions but I don't see a clear plan or direction at the moment. Have to see how they assemble the line up under Bylsma. How many rookies and so forth. At the moment I have no idea.
Best I can make of it: Draft for skill, change a couple of third or fourth-line deck chairs every year in search of marginal improvement (fine when that leads to two year contracts, not so fine when they are five year contracts, bad, bad news when they are seven year contracts) and hope some of the kids mature quicker than you think they will (while keeping the ownership at bay).

Reactions: Irie

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
Been saying this for three years. They've taken a multiple personality approach to "building" this franchise, and it's not working, and it won't work in the future.

Should've tanked right out of the gate, or gone all in to be competitive right out of the gate. Now we are sitting on a mediocre prospect pool and breaking out the checkbook for long term UFA deals with dudes on the wrong side of 30.

I genuinely don't think this team could have been managed worse. What a disaster.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I think Burakovsky can be somewhat of a line driver but he needs finishers next to him.

That's why he only started producing once Hakstol played him higher in the lineup and didn't force him to feed Brandon Tanev the whole time, who was missing everything.

Stephenson, according to advanced stats, is not a line driver, actually hindered the production of his linemate Mark Stone(who is a line driver) and also doesn't go net front.
To top all of that off, he's also pretty bad defensively.

Of course, those are only advanced stats and not holding up a cup and bringing that "winners mentality".
giphy.webp
Hmmm. Now that smells funny.

I question the validity of your fancy stats.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Been saying this for three years. They've taken a multiple personality approach to "building" this franchise, and it's not working, and it won't work in the future.

Should've tanked right out of the gate, or gone all in to be competitive right out of the gate. Now we are sitting on a mediocre prospect pool and breaking out the checkbook for long term UFA deals with dudes on the wrong side of 30.

I genuinely don't think this team could have been managed worse. What a disaster.
They are in a transition phase between the original expansion roster ( which will be all but gone after next year) and the trove of prospects in the wings. They’ve added some quality vets to bridge that but they have a lot of cheap good youth about to join the team. Like 5-6 players on elec … Catton will be here in 2 years and on elc until 29-30. These contracts won’t hurt the team and by the time Montour and Stephenson are anchors their contracts will be like 4% of the cap / and easily bought out or ltir.

I mean the capitals are currently 20 mil over the cap RIGHT NOW and they are getting praised for their offseason - we’ll figure it out. The cap will be 110-120 mil in 5 years

Reactions: Renopucker

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
They are in a transition phase between the original expansion roster ( which will be all but gone after next year) and the trove of prospects in the wings. They’ve added some quality vets to bridge that but they have a lot of cheap good youth about to join the team. Like 5-6 players on elec … Catton will be here in 2 years and on elc until 29-30. These contracts won’t hurt the team and by the time Montour and Stephenson are anchors their contracts will be like 4% of the cap / and easily bought out or ltir.

I mean the capitals are currently 20 mil over the cap RIGHT NOW and they are getting praised for their offseason - we’ll figure it out. The cap will be 110-120 mil in 5 years
Wow, this isn't directed at you personally, but isn't that a sad state of how things have gone if we are thinking of LTIR as a contract strategy down the road. What's Francis going to do if they stay healthy? Have Bylsma Tonya Harding them? It's just a crazy way to look at things and I'm pretty sure the league will address it in the next CBA.

You do give extra term to get people to come to you if they are reluctant or want to go elsewhere and taking a guy away from a division opponent is a good idea, but the terms here are too long for what we get. It's not hopeless if the drafting works but at the moment we are only mid level in the most optimistic view and will have a hard time making the playoffs unless several kids step up all at once.

• Haha
Reactions: RainyCityHockey

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Wow, this isn't directed at you personally, but isn't that a sad state of how things have gone if we are thinking of LTIR as a contract strategy down the road. What's Francis going to do if they stay healthy? Have Bylsma Tonya Harding them? It's just a crazy way to look at things and I'm pretty sure the league will address it in the next CBA.

You do give extra term to get people to come to you if they are reluctant or want to go elsewhere and taking a guy away from a division opponent is a good idea, but the terms here are too long for what we get. It's not hopeless if the drafting works but at the moment we are only mid level in the most optimistic view and will have a hard time making the playoffs unless several kids step up all at once.

Bylsma vs. Stephenson three years from now
giphy.webp

Problem solved
giphy.webp

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020

Ummm…. What about this response makes you think that I took something personally? Just stating facts…. Look at the number of teams with players questionably on long-term IR at the end of the careers… It’s used very frequently in the league until they close on a loophole on it!

I’m not sure why having an opinion is taking something personally?!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Someone on the Jackets board asked me if Gourde+Oleksiak for Laine would work. I told them I liked it for both teams but it's unrealistic with all the NTCs Ron has handed out. And now that we're up against the cap I can't imagine any way a Laine trade happens.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Someone on the Jackets board asked me if Gourde+Oleksiak for Laine would work. I told them I liked it for both teams but it's unrealistic with all the NTCs Ron has handed out. And now that we're up against the cap I can't imagine any way a Laine trade happens.
I think that trade would give us an extra mil of capspace unless my math is wrong

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think that trade would give us an extra mil of capspace unless my math is wrong

Yes, but my point is that it's unlikely we can get our guys to waive their NTCs to go to Columbus. And we would have to get a couple guys to waive because we no longer have the cap space to take on Laine without sending a roughly equivalent amount of cap back.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Yes, but my point is that it's unlikely we can get our guys to waive their NTCs to go to Columbus. And we would have to get a couple guys to waive because we no longer have the cap space to take on Laine without sending a roughly equivalent amount of cap back.
Gotcha! Makes sense

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Ummm…. What about this response makes you think that I took something personally? Just stating facts…. Look at the number of teams with players questionably on long-term IR at the end of the careers… It’s used very frequently in the league until they close on a loophole on it!

I’m not sure why having an opinion is taking something personally?!
Relax, I just said that because people get really touchy on the internet really fast and they make things about themselves a lot. I don't know you so I just tried to avoid that (and lol, in so doing ended up with this :))
I know it's used. Vegas are clear "cheats" and others use it and the league will address it as Vegas made a lot of people go this is too far but not until the next cba.
My point was if you sign free agents with a plan to use LTIR in advance, it's probably a bad signing.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Poturalski signs a 2-way deal with the Sharks. Good luck to him, was a real soldier for CV and was a big part of establishing a winning culture there.

Reactions: sigma six

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad