Kraken 2024 Offseason chatter

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
A few sure-Firebirds signed as well. A couple have potential at coming up during the season when injuries happen:

Maxime Lajoie
Nikolas Broulliard
Brandon Biro
Mitchell Stephens
Ben Meyers (1-way)

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Wow, the vibe of this thread turned very negative today. Understandably I guess. It doesn’t help that Ron said in media availability that they aren’t planning any other big news.

I’d also expect a bridge deal for Matty. Get Matty and Goalvanen back without giving Matty the big long term deal. I think that’s the goal and makes sense with his underwhelming sophomore season. 2-3 years. Watch. I’ll be surprised if we see anything else.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hope it's a bridge deal for Matty. Lots of players have sophomore slumps, but that was one hell of a sophomore slump. A little caution is called for and appropriate, I think.

We don't have much reason to sign Beniers to a five year deal or something. What is he going to score 90 pts next year and make us pay through the nose? I won't worry about that outcome.

Reactions: The Marquis

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Something about the Sprong situation seems kind of weird.

We know about his issues in Seattle with Hak. He goes to Detroit on a very affordable 1-year "prove it" deal and has a decent season, maybe a hair worse than his last year in Seattle once you account for the 10 more games played, still posting 43 points in 76 games. I'd think those numbers would still earn him a decent bit of interest from a number of teams around the league?

Instead, Detroit shows no interest in bringing him back, and we're going into day 2 of UFA and he's still chilling out there.

I dunno, seems odd.

Last edited:

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Something about the Sprong situation seems kind of weird.

We know about his issues in Seattle with Hak. He goes to Detroit on a very affordable 1-year "prove it" deal and has a decent season, maybe a hair worse than his last year in Seattle once you account for the 10 more games played, still posting 43 points in 76 games. I'd think those numbers would still earn him a decent bit of interest from a number of teams around the league?

Instead, Detroit shows no interest in bringing him back, and we're going into day 2 of UFA and he's still chilling out there.

I dunno, seems odd.
Seems every team has a whipping boy and Sprong just has to be it...I think he'd still be great for the Kraken on the 3rd-4th RW and PP2 especially where the team struggled mightily and in todays NHL you really have to have two PP looks so as to not be too predictable...

Reactions: majormajor

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
In my mind he has little to no value. Potentially even negative value.

Ofcourse GM's are probably on a different page.
reason I asked is I've seen two throw up in my mouth deals where Detroit dumped Walman and the Blues dumped Hayes and each deal took a second rounder to do it. but maybe that is the going rate to clear cap for a depth player. the Blues have lots of cap room and no ability to compete until the defense is meaningfully addressed, and now they need a second round pick back so I might be interested if that was the price. I want to stress that there is zero thought here of "this gets the Blues closer to the Cup" because we got this player back, so it would be all about getting back the second round pick

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Do people consider Stephenson a good pivot pairing for Burakovsky? I find myself wondering if they complement each other particularly well, but then find myself wondering what sort of center WOULD complement Burakovsky and am not exactly sure...?

He hasnt exactly clicked with anyone Hak ran him with, unless I'm forgetting something?

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
This team is now on Francis, not Disco Dan. Francis made the signings that we're questioning. Some of you will likely be happy that from here on, I'll be holding him to task.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Do people consider Stephenson a good pivot pairing for Burakovsky? I find myself wondering if they complement each other particularly well, but then find myself wondering what sort of center WOULD complement Burakovsky and am not exactly sure...?

He hasnt exactly clicked with anyone Hak ran him with, unless I'm forgetting something?

I think Burakovsky can be somewhat of a line driver but he needs finishers next to him.

That's why he only started producing once Hakstol played him higher in the lineup and didn't force him to feed Brandon Tanev the whole time, who was missing everything.

Stephenson, according to advanced stats, is not a line driver, actually hindered the production of his linemate Mark Stone(who is a line driver) and also doesn't go net front.
To top all of that off, he's also pretty bad defensively.

Of course, those are only advanced stats and not holding up a cup and bringing that "winners mentality".
giphy.webp

• Haha
Reactions: Fuhrious

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I think you're being a little hard on Stephenson, he's a decent hockey player, but really, he's a 3rd line guy not a top 6 guy and we've just paid him to be a top 6 guy with too much term on top of that. By the end of that deal he's going to be a 4th line guy at best (unless we suck bad).

I'm honestly not sure what this team is doing or thinking. We have additions but I don't see a clear plan or direction at the moment. Have to see how they assemble the line up under Bylsma. How many rookies and so forth. At the moment I have no idea.

Reactions: kihei

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Stephenson will be fine he slots in as the numero uno or due Centre so Gourde can go to the 3rd line and Wright 4th. By seasons end Gourde will be dealt for draft picks and Wright moves up

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
What do you guys think of McCann-Stephenson-Burakovsky line. I think McCann and Stephenson together is great. McCann is our one shooter. Not sure about Bura on that line from a big picture standpoint, so I'm curious what everybody's take is.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
This move makes me think they can get a decent term deal done with Beniers, get Tolvy done, and strap them a little bit with their healthy scratches, but it's doable now. They can put together a 23 man roster. I had Hayden, Fleury and Meyers up with the big club as the scratches.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad