Kraken 2024 Offseason chatter

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I guess we can say he’s not doing the whole “take on bad contracts for sweeteners, accept sucking for a while” approach, since he apparently wasn’t in on the Walman or Mikheyev dumps. Don’t know if that’s good or bad, though…

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I guess we can say he’s not doing the whole “take on bad contracts for sweeteners, accept sucking for a while” approach, since he apparently wasn’t in on the Walman or Mikheyev dumps. Don’t know if that’s good or bad, though…
Yeah. But he has not exactly done a great job with those anyway.

I think he has eyes on some big fish, don't know where, but it has to be via trade. I don't see Guentzel or Reinhart wanting to come here even if throw money at them. Plus they don't fit that great from an age perspective since they will likely want max term.

My opinion around FA/trades is just going big, or staying pat. We can get mid-tier players in UFA (or trade) but all it does it add more to those type of players already on the roster.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

Yeah. But he has not exactly done a great job with those anyway.

I think he has eyes on some big fish, don't know where, but it has to be via trade. I don't see Guentzel or Reinhart wanting to come here even if throw money at them. Plus they don't fit that great from an age perspective since they will likely want max term.

My opinion around FA/trades is just going big, or staying pat. We can get mid-tier players in UFA (or trade) but all it does it add more to those type of players already on the roster.

I dunno dude, he got Bjorkstrand in a camp dump deal. Excellent at that. That's the kind of cap dump trade I want a GM to be going after, not Walman or Mikheyev.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I dunno dude, he got Bjorkstrand in a camp dump deal. Excellent at that. That's the kind of cap dump trade I want a GM to be going after, not Walman or Mikheyev.
I wouldnt say he's "excellent" because he did it all of one time...especially when the one time he did it, the stakes/expectations were as low as they've ever been for the team.

I get why he didnt do either trade, honestly. I do rate Walman ahead of both Oleksiak and Dumoulin but the fact is they're stuck with those guys and adding another LD without moving one (i wish both) and further blocking Evans is even more counterproductive.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I wouldn't consider Bjorkstrand a cap dump. Yeah, we got good value on that trade but it was not a bad contract and we did not pay too much.

But 3 years on a new team and only 1 trade to talk about is not the best either.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I wouldnt say he's "excellent" because he did it all of one time...especially when the one time he did it, the stakes/expectations were as low as they've ever been for the team.

I get why he didnt do either trade, honestly. I do rate Walman ahead of both Oleksiak and Dumoulin but the fact is they're stuck with those guys and adding another LD without moving one (i wish both) and further blocking Evans is even more counterproductive.
That seems like Francis' MO to me. There was no reason for him to sign Dumoulin and even lesser to re-sign Eberle but he seems focused on leadership a little too much.

Reactions: Fuhrious

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Man those other teams are doing stuff.

Meanwhile in Seattle...
200.webp

giphy.webp

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Teravainen will become a free agent.

He can play some center, which would help play McCann on the wing again, and is a guy Francis is familiar with.

Calling it now, he'll be our "big fish" this offseason.....
I was legitimately just looking at him and wondering if he'd be our "Burakovsky" this off-season.

And by that I'm including idle speculation two years from now how badly Francis overpaid.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I was legitimately just looking at him and wondering if he'd be our "Burakovsky" this off-season.

And by that I'm including idle speculation two years from now how badly Francis overpaid.
I don't think Burakovsky was an overpayment. He just can't stay healthy enough.

Another thing with our team is that we have so many middle-6 players that Hakstol would love shuffling them around when things were not going well, instead of trying to ride it out and/or actually fix the issues. With Gourde, Burakovsky, Schwartz, Tolvanen, Eberle still on the roster, I would not be surprised this continues to be the case this season. Maybe Bylsma does things differently.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I don't think Burakovsky was an overpayment. He just can't stay healthy enough.

Another thing with our team is that we have so many middle-6 players that Hakstol would love shuffling them around when things were not going well, instead of trying to ride it out and/or actually fix the issues. With Gourde, Burakovsky, Schwartz, Tolvanen, Eberle still on the roster, I would not be surprised this continues to be the case this season. Maybe Bylsma does things differently.
He wasnt an overpayment at signing, no. I think he's starting to look like one now because as you say, he cant stay healthy and it's starting to look like some of those injuries are having long-term effects on his game.

I think Francis has a track record of mildly/moderately overpaying guys, however. I think he was hellbent on getting guys like Gru, Oleksiak, and Schwartz and gave them more money/term than anyone else was going to offer. It wouldnt surprise me if he does similar with a player like Teravainen.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I mean, he's a good player that can play both center and wing and produces at a solid rate.

It's just that he's going to be 30 once the season starts, will certainly look for a five year deal(maybe even Francis special of 5x5) and would be another middle six guy.

He wouldn't make much sense cause he's too old to build with Beniers/Wright and too good to not make us a middling team.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I mean, he's a good player that can play both center and wing and produces at a solid rate.

It's just that he's going to be 30 once the season starts, will certainly look for a five year deal(maybe even Francis special of 5x5) and would be another middle six guy.

He wouldn't make much sense cause he's too old to build with Beniers/Wright and too good to not make us a middling team.
Do you think Teravainen could be our team's #1 or #2 forward? I would want the player we sign to be better than any other forward on our roster. Not thinking about ceilings of our players but more with where they are right now. I rate McCann, Beniers and Bjorkstrand as our top forwards and the only one who is borderline top-line is McCann. I would like at least a McCann level player, if not better.

Not sure if Teuvo is that player or not.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Do you think Teravainen could be our team's #1 or #2 forward? I would want the player we sign to be better than any other forward on our roster. Not thinking about ceilings of our players but more with where they are right now. I rate McCann, Beniers and Bjorkstrand as our top forwards and the only one who is borderline top-line is McCann. I would like at least a McCann level player, if not better.

Not sure if Teuvo is that player or not.

No, he's not.

Like I've said, he would be another good, $5M middle six guy. The ones Francis seems to collect with great interest.

Personally I don't want him on the Kraken but realistically he actually fits what Francis talked about when he said "we need to find a way to play McCann on the wing again".

It's basically Ronnie doing his lip services to the ownership in bringing in a couple of solid guys to not roll out the AHL backup all-stars(like Chicago, Arizona or San Jose have done in the past couple of years), look at least somewhat competitive and be able to show the ownership that he tried.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
No, he's not.

Like I've said, he would be another good, $5M middle six guy. The ones Francis seems to collect with great interest.

Personally I don't want him on the Kraken but realistically he actually fits what Francis talked about when he said "we need to find a way to play McCann on the wing again".

It's basically Ronnie doing his lip services to the ownership in bringing in a couple of solid guys to not roll out the AHL backup all-stars(like Chicago, Arizona or San Jose have done in the past couple of years), look at least somewhat competitive and be able to show the ownership that he tried.
Yeah. The thing, though, could end up being his downfall. If ownership asks you to be competitive and you are doing it just for "show" and providing lip service, missing the playoffs would be an F grade even if you did sign players like Teravainen, Toffoli, etc. to improve the roster.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Bjorkstrand was a cap dump for Columbus to make room for Johnny Hockey.
Yeah, but it was a trade that we ended up giving assets for. Sure, it was much better value for us, but it was not like us getting assets for taking on a bad contract(s). Starting from the expansion draft, Francis has said that teams have not been offering much for him to take on bad contracts. And yet, we have seen multiple trades since then where teams have added prospects and picks by doing the same.

This is how my read on Francis is from his Carolina days and time with Seattle. "He is way too concerned about losing a trade or making a move that has even a little bit of inherent risk". Its the equivalent of playing not to lose than playing to win. Honestly, his drafting is the only big reason I am still ok with him. I am curious to see how he does this season, but if he does the same crap about getting a middle-tier player and hope that we catch lightning in a bottle again, I will be interested in getting a more aggressive GM.

Edit: Maybe it's just me but I always take "cap dump" as a negative contract which is either given for free or requires assets attached to it. That's why I really don't consider Bjorkstrand a cap dump, but more or less a trade where we got great value from because the other team was desperate to clear space.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Pro Hockey Rumors top 50 UFA's list and where they'll sign.

They have us signing these three guys:

13. Chandler Stephenson / Seattle Kraken / 5 years, $5.6MM AAV

Josh: Stephenson is one of many over the past seven years who’s found his game after being acquired by the Golden Knights. Now a bona fide top-six forward with a career 52.6% faceoff win percentage and a history of good possession numbers, he’ll have more than a few suitors if he remains unsigned come July 1. He was shifted to the wing at times this season amid a bit of a down year but still managed 16 goals and 51 points in 75 games after putting up back-to-back 60-point campaigns. In a relatively weak UFA center market, expect him to return to the middle next season for a team looking for top-six help

15. Vladimir Tarasenko / Seattle Kraken / 3 years, $5MM AAV

Gabriel: Tarasenko has gone on a tour around the NHL over the last two seasons, ending an 11-year career with the Blues with a 2023 trade to the New York Rangers, followed by a summer signing with the Senators, and then another trade to the Panthers at this year’s trade deadline. He’s maintained his reliable scoring through the moves, totaling 31 goals and 76 points across a combined 107 games with the trio of teams. He’s also tallied five goals and nine points in 21 games this postseason, chasing the second Stanley Cup of his career with Florida. Tarasenko is one of the market’s older names at 32, but his production has shown no signs of aging. He’ll offer strong middle-six value on the open market, with the added perk of being one of the market’s few Stanley Cup winners.

50. Matt Grzelcyk / Seattle Kraken / 3 years, $3.2MM AAV

Josh: A longtime partner to Bruins star Charlie McAvoy, Grzelcyk wraps up a four-year, $14.75MM deal with his value at its lowest in a while. He struggled with injuries this year, was limited to 63 games, and was challenged heavily for top-four usage by rookie Mason Lohrei. When healthy, though, he’s a relatively consistent lock for around 20 points and eats up 17 to 19 minutes per game. Aside from this season, possession play has been a historic strength of his, although he’s certainly benefitted from a good chunk of playing time spent alongside McAvoy.

And I don't really know why......

Stephenson could make some sense as a replacement for Gourde down the middle.
Though, he's 30 and they have us giving him a five year deal.

Tarasenko. Sure....

Grzelyk just makes no sense at all, especially at that cap hit and term.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Pro Hockey Rumors top 50 UFA's list and where they'll sign.

They have us signing these three guys:

And I don't really know why......

Stephenson could make some sense as a replacement for Gourde down the middle.
Though, he's 30 and they have us giving him a five year deal.

Tarasenko. Sure....

Grzelyk just makes no sense at all, especially at that cap hit and term.
To be honest, none of those make sense to me. I would like an experienced middle-6 C, which Stephenson could potentially do while Wright gets acclimated to the NHL. But giving him a 5 year contract makes no sense. Tarasenko may help, but like you know I don't see much sense is getting similar level players to what we already have.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Stephenson would be fine, but not at 5 years. 4 perhaps. A good complement to Wright, as was mentioned. Can slot in 2C and let Wright get acclimated or let him have 3C and let Wright roll.

It’s not a bad idea.

The other two make less sense, but Tarasenko could slot in somewhere allowing a guy like Gourde to run the 4th line. Not really sure how it would work without other moves. Only a few days before things start to become transparent.

There’s a ln empji for signing Grzelyk… :skeptic:

I don’t see a fit there. New coach though. Who knows.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What contracts do people actually want to sign?

If we just say no to everyone then we'll be that team with $20m in cap space and 30th in the standings. Cap space is only helpful if you have an alternative plan for how to use it. So what is that plan?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
What contracts do people actually want to sign?

If we just say no to everyone then we'll be that team with $20m in cap space and 30th in the standings. Cap space is only helpful if you have an alternative plan for how to use it. So what is that plan?
I guess we will find out soon enough. The fact that we have not signed, or announced signings of Beniers or Tolvy is also a little strange. It is impossible to predict what Francis is up to but I really hope its not what he has done the first 3 years.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I guess we will find out soon enough. The fact that we have not signed, or announced signings of Beniers or Tolvy is also a little strange. It is impossible to predict what Francis is up to but I really hope its not what he has done the first 3 years.

It doesn't strike me as strange. It's still early.

I'm recalling the agony people went through last summer when Dunn's deal didn't get announced until.... three weeks into July.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It doesn't strike me as strange. It's still early.

I'm recalling the agony people went through last summer when Dunn's deal didn't get announced until.... three weeks into July.
Yeah, you are right. But I was just thinking that they would have announced Beniers signing sooner than later as he is the face of the franchise.

My paranoid brain does want to think that there is an agreement in place but they are holding off to not let other teams know how much space we really have for FA.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
He wasnt an overpayment at signing, no. I think he's starting to look like one now because as you say, he cant stay healthy and it's starting to look like some of those injuries are having long-term effects on his game.

I think Francis has a track record of mildly/moderately overpaying guys, however. I think he was hellbent on getting guys like Gru, Oleksiak, and Schwartz and gave them more money/term than anyone else was going to offer. It wouldnt surprise me if he does similar with a player like Teravainen.
I would say the price he paid for Gru was appropriate at the time- he was a Vezina finalist when he signed the contract. He just flopped out of the gate and never really justified his price tag outside of last year’s playoff run. Otherwise I agree with your entire assessment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad