News Article: KPD: Bruins out to implement a quick change in their game

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Two first game rookies

Two young players going to get a legit chance

Passing on a veteran with a good body of work that Claude put on every opportunity to succeed during TC

Sweeney GMing scared and a puppet

Yup same old same old :biglaugh:

Which leaves me wondering were the Dominic Moore and Riley Nash signings came from....

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Which I agree with, the poster made it sound like Claude walked into the room at the new facility and there was Cassidy:amazed:

ODDAT I'm might be obtuse but not over the top obtuse lol. Yes of course Claude was involved but also voluntold is what some of us our saying. And that s a good thing in my opinion. See my earlier message far from saying Claude wasn't involved.

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Ok what I got and I'm no insider. This comes from a respective person to me with knowledge and I'm not overly cool with saying that much

Sweeney 100% respects Claude Julien. He is not here as a human shield or the next layer before Sweeney. You folks can think whatever and I'm sure you will but you are throwing **** against the wall and making baseless statements

Claude has input. It's like a family where input is encouraged but in the end it's Sweeney who very much considers the likes of his cabinet as they say including the Bradley's Ferguson's and Pandolfo's.

Pandolfo may be an assistant coach but he's more than that but he's not looking over Claude's shoulder.

Claude is comfortable with this and probably why it took time to iron everything out.

My educated guess is Claude would have liked to retain Erhoff but Sweeney knows we really need to give the players who have been in the sysyem like C Miller & Morrow some type of opportunity instead of bringing in recycled band aids

Erhoff played well and probably would have helped and even been a short term upgrade and why Sweeney would consider keeping him around but if so as an insurance/spare tire as Bob Mckenzie tweeted out

Sweeney knows there will be growing pains and bumps in the road when 1/2 of every D lineup is going to be filled by players who have never played coming in to the season of less than 100 games

If Jacobs wants to fire him before his first draft class has one player who can buy a drink legally good luck to him - impatience is the the main ingredient to all failure recipes

DK I'm a big time supporter for what Sweeney has/trying to accomplish and agree 100% with the above however I have been concerned with Claude. I believe thats about to change. Claude is a very good coach no doubt about it but he has some flaws. I believe the coaching staff that was orchestrated for Claude and yes some Claude input is to help Claude/young players moving forward...

I can't wait to see the progress this year....but expect to see some initial growing pains.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I think folks are making too much about the two kids in the lineup.

First off, some of you are acting like it never happened before... It happens every year. Last year we had Spooner see full time action and Miller, Vatrano and Acciari get their feet wet. This year I expect Vatrano and maybe Miller will see full time action, while Heinen will be on the "get your feet wet" plan. Even Carlo, who's been great, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him hit a rough patch and need to go down to get his confidence back up.

Last edited:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

First off, some of you are acting like it never happened before... It happens every year. Last year we had Spooner see full time action and Miller, Vatrano and Acciari get their feet wet. This year I expect Vatrano and maybe Miller will see full time action, while Heinen will be on the "get your feet wet" plan. Even Carlo, who's been great, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him hit a rough patch and need to go down to get his confidence back up.

Agree. As usual things will settle down as players come back. Question is will they be more tolerable with the mistakes this year. They obviously weren't last year.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Agree. As usual things will settle down as players come back. Question is will they be more tolerable with the mistakes this year. They obviously weren't last year.

So the thing with this is both that it's subjective, and it's understandable. There are so many variables in play when you decide to play a kid over a veteran. Playoff experience, playoff gates, fan interest, saving jobs for GM's and coaches, destroying a kid's confidence, sending the right message to both kids and vets in the room, etc. So, so many variables that just looking at it and saying "the leash wasn't long enough" just simply isn't fair or knowable.

And trust me, I want to see the kids play. I have no hope for them to contend this year, nor last, and I'd like to see kids play every night. I'll be pissed right along with you when Carlo gets a seat in favor of McQuaid in 6 weeks. But based on the owner's naive comments both this week and at last year's ending presser, I have little hope that management can force a youth movement. I just hope the kids play if they play well. I don't want a blind nod to the vet if both players equal.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Wasn't something similar said prior to last season?

My thoughts exactly. This was the same thing said then, and it was abandoned after getting smashed early in the season. Anyone want to bet the same thing happens again??? :laugh:

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

Even as a 'glass is 99% empty' kind of guy, I believe this season will be a lot different. I'm not saying the team will make the playoffs, but I believe this year will show us a lot more about our future than last year.

Last year we had guys like Irwin, Rinaldo, Kemppainen, Connolly, C. Miller, and Hayes who were suppose to help fix the team. This year we have our own draft picks who are younger and show greater potential for the future and now we know more about what to expect for C. Miller and Hayes.

Hopefully one of the kids on the back end shine so we don't see BOTH K Miller and McQuaid in the top 6 .

100% agree.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Two first game rookies

Two young players going to get a legit chance

Passing on a veteran with a good body of work that Claude put on every opportunity to succeed during TC

Sweeney GMing scared and a puppet

Yup same old same old :biglaugh:

This is more than a tad disingenuous, no? Do you think either of the young guys getting a chance would actually be getting a chance if Miller and McQuaid were healthy?

Espresso Martini

Apr 12, 2016
Fleet of foot and PB37 and DK46 centering the top lines?

I love them both but speed isnt the first thing that comes to mind for either.

There is a difference between playing fast and being fast. Team Canada played fast by getting the puck out quickly. Bergeron seemed to do just fine. Also, I don't understand why people say Krejci is slow. He is not.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
This is more than a tad disingenuous, no? Do you think either of the young guys getting a chance would actually be getting a chance if Miller and McQuaid were healthy?

Or if Ehrhoff made the team like many people wanted

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Isn't Riley Nash only 27?

Moore was signed because he's something like a career 55% FO guy, and Bergeron was the only one on the roster last year with a FO% over 50.1 (Krejci).

And with Bergeron injured is OK if for the first 10-20 games Moore gets too much icetime and plays a lot. He'll eventually settle into a 4th line role and at some point Backes/Spooner will center the third line.

But for tonight alone with no Bergeron I am very happy to have him and hope he can perform close to his best for a dozen or so games to start the year. Even Talbot had some good flashes of the player he once was last year.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The biggest issue with this team is the speed gap between the forwards and defense. Overall, I hoonestly think forward group is fast enough. The issue is the defense is one of the worst/slowest in the league (projected at least going into the season). Having that huge gap makes playing an overall quick pace extremely difficult.

I can never tell if management is just saying things to sell the fans on the team or if they actually believe what they are saying. See: Charlie Jacobs' "I expect a deep playoff run" statement.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You wanna bet that we'll be getting smashed early in the season?

:cheers:

Nah. I want to root for them to play incredibly well. But like last year, I will say that I feel Claude talking about an up tempo game as being nothing more than lip service and once the **** hits the fan, I fully expect him to revert to his defensive, reversing ways. It's not a knock on the guy either. Personally, I think it's ******** the front office wants him to play this way when it's so outside his coaching skill set, and outside the skill set of the team's players. It would be like asking Tampa Bay to say forget about skill and let's play a grinding game instead. It's simply mismatched for the roster they have. But again, that's not on Claude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad