News Article: KPD: Bruins out to implement a quick change in their game

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Two first game rookies

Two young players going to get a legit chance

Passing on a veteran with a good body of work that Claude put on every opportunity to succeed during TC

Sweeney GMing scared and a puppet

Yup same old same old :biglaugh:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Ha ha :laugh: Claude has to adapt good one . Same things were said last year before the season. First sign of adversity its was back to the Julien way .

And where did the old Julien way get them? My gut tells me Claude is on a short leash and why new assistant coaches were added by management not Claude.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I give full credit to Sweeney for passing on Erhoff. Definitely right move. Credit due, credit absolutely given.

Except he didn't truly pass on Ehrhoff. The contract was offered but didn't include the guarantee of a top 6 spot Ehrhoff wanted so he bolted.

That said, he absolutely gets credit for not promising him a top 6 spot something his predecessor wouldn't have done.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Two first game rookies

Passing on a veteran with a good body of work that Claude put on every opportunity to succeed during TC

DK not sure who is pulling the strings on this year's coaching staff however its not Claude alone...Fans calling out Claude have every right considering the yelles, Talbots, Campbells, and Gagnes that were being tossed out...It appears Claude has to adjust to the new brand of hockey and that help is coming from multiple places.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
And where did the old Julien way get them? My gut tells me Claude is on a short leash and why new assistant coaches were added by management not Claude.

Claude absolutely had a say in the assistant coaches. Management most certainly made it clear changes needed to be made and may have suggested a few names but Claude was the one to make the final decision.

He's coached Pandolfo, coached against Sacco and has worked closely with Cassidy since he took over in Providence. They are his guys through and through.

He's a lot more involved than people either realize or refuse to acknowledge.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
FWIW I think filling the team depth with mobile players is a start.

I's not just about straight line speed and acceleration. It's about being able to make quick decisions, being able to open up passing lanes quickly with your skating game. Defense I'm looking at you!

So having some rookies and young mobile D as our only supplanting depth is a good start. Now we just nee to work on replacing McQuiad/K Miller ASAP (or atleast back to their true bottom pair selves) because they are the exact opposite of playing quickly.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Two first game rookies

yeah but....

oh nevermind, I`ll begrudgingly agree with your post that this isn`t the same mess year after year:sarcasm:

I don`t get it here, fans screaming for the kiddies to get a chance, well, here we are folks, potentially Carlo/Heinen/O`Gara, toss in a second potential year in the NHL for Morrow and C Miller, maybe Czarnik when he returns from concussion. Seems to this fan (who`s been wrong more than right often) that change is occurring, some just don`t want to see it

Many TC decisions are one`s where in years past, as you mentioned, we would have seen Ehroff giftwrapped a contract, kids tossed to Providence after day 2 ....... I might be one of the few who absolutely is optimistic and excited about the kids in this organization and what this team might look like as soon as next season let alone very intrigued (and a touch frightened) about watching a prospect like Carlo and O`Gara learn the NHL game on the fly this year

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Claude absolutely had a say in the assistant coaches. Management most certainly made it clear changes needed to be made and may have suggested a few names but Claude was the one to make the final decision.

He's coached Pandolfo, coached against Sacco and has worked closely with Cassidy since he took over in Providence. They are his guys through and through.

He's a lot more involved than people either realize or refuse to acknowledge.

I disagree I don't think Claude had any say in Cassidy other assistant coaches joining the bruins this year...and I believe a big reason more kiddies are playing this year.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I disagree I don't think he had any say in Cassidy other? joining the bruins this year...

sorry, just can`t see that being the case, can`t see him just showing up for work and Sweeney telling CJ he`s working with Cassidy

In fact, wouldn`t be one bit shocked if a conversation took place early in the summer about changes that would be coming. No way a guy entering his 10th year of coaching the same team with a nice little resume like Julien has, wasn`t given the respect of being in on the conversation

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Might as well of fired Claude if you were going to name his staff with no say. I bet Sweeney forced Claude to praise Carlo and O'Gara too. That old curmudgeon wouldn't possibly say something good about a kid on his own. :wally:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
sorry, just can`t see that being the case, can`t see him just showing up for work and Sweeney telling CJ he`s working with Cassidy

In fact, wouldn`t be one bit shocked if a conversation took place early in the summer about changes that would be coming. No way a guy entering his 10th year of coaching the same team with a nice little resume like Julien has, wasn`t given the respect of being in on the conversation

I'm sure he was "in on" the Asst coach conversation, but not sure he had much of a say on some.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Two first game rookies

Yes, but to be fair Dan; until it changes, the fans are not wrong with what they have seen.

Lets hope this team can implement these new ideas better than they did last year.

I have always viewed it as a mistake to pin your hopes on any of the kids. That points to structural roster weaknesses right there -- alone in itself.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Except he didn't truly pass on Ehrhoff. The contract was offered but didn't include the guarantee of a top 6 spot Ehrhoff wanted so he bolted.

That said, he absolutely gets credit for not promising him a top 6 spot something his predecessor wouldn't have done.

For what it's worth it's the same thing he said to Jimmy Vesey

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Two first game rookies

Clearly Sweeney isn't scared for his job or he would have done something to improve THIS year's defense in the offseason, and he didn't. So I'll tip my cap to him that there was no panic move. Seriously. There was only a PR move, Backes, likely mandated by the President or even the owner himself.

As for the two "first game rookies going to get a legit chance", I'd point to injuries to McQuaid and Miller. I have my doubts either kid would have started tomorrow if those two studs weren't banged up. Now I'm not saying that Sweeney doesn't want to instill youth on the blueline. I believe he does. And you could even convince me CJ does too. But I don't believe for a second that either one of them wanted these kids in over the two banged up, recently signed stalwarts we have on the shelf.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
As for the two "first game rookies going to get a legit chance", I'd point to injuries to McQuaid and Miller. I have my doubts either kid would have started tomorrow if those two studs weren't banged up. Now I'm not saying that Sweeney doesn't want to instill youth on the blueline. I believe he does. And you could even convince me CJ does too. But I don't believe for a second that either one of them wanted these kids in over the two banged up, recently signed stalwarts we have on the shelf.

That's how I feel about this as well.

Excited to see some new 'young blood' on our blueline, but the only reason they are still with the big club is because of injuries. Now, that seems to happen with a lot of teams and this could actually become a blessing for us......if Miller is out for a couple weeks and one of these kids shine, we can unload one of them for cap space.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
DK not sure who is pulling the strings on this year's coaching staff however its not Claude alone...Fans calling out Claude have every right considering the yelles, Talbots, Campbells, and Gagnes that were being tossed out...It appears Claude has to adjust to the new brand of hockey and that help is coming from multiple places.

Ok what I got and I'm no insider. This comes from a respective person to me with knowledge and I'm not overly cool with saying that much

Sweeney 100% respects Claude Julien. He is not here as a human shield or the next layer before Sweeney. You folks can think whatever and I'm sure you will but you are throwing **** against the wall and making baseless statements

Claude has input. It's like a family where input is encouraged but in the end it's Sweeney who very much considers the likes of his cabinet as they say including the Bradley's Ferguson's and Pandolfo's.

Pandolfo may be an assistant coach but he's more than that but he's not looking over Claude's shoulder.

Claude is comfortable with this and probably why it took time to iron everything out.

My educated guess is Claude would have liked to retain Erhoff but Sweeney knows we really need to give the players who have been in the sysyem like C Miller & Morrow some type of opportunity instead of bringing in recycled band aids

Erhoff played well and probably would have helped and even been a short term upgrade and why Sweeney would consider keeping him around but if so as an insurance/spare tire as Bob Mckenzie tweeted out

Sweeney knows there will be growing pains and bumps in the road when 1/2 of every D lineup is going to be filled by players who have never played coming in to the season of less than 100 games

If Jacobs wants to fire him before his first draft class has one player who can buy a drink legally good luck to him - impatience is the the main ingredient to all failure recipes

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Ok what I got and I'm no insider. This comes from a respective person to me with knowledge and I'm not overly cool with saying that much

Sweeney 100% respects Claude Julien. He is not here as a human shield or the next layer before Sweeney. You folks can think whatever and I'm sure you will but you are throwing **** against the wall and making baseless statements

Claude has input. It's like a family where input is encouraged but in the end it's Sweeney who very much considers the likes of his cabinet as they say including the Bradley's Ferguson's and Pandolfo's.

Pandolfo may be an assistant coach but he's more than that but he's not looking over Claude's shoulder.

Claude is comfortable with this and probably why it took time to iron everything out.

My educated guess is Claude would have liked to retain Erhoff but Sweeney knows we really need to give the players who have been in the sysyem like C Miller & Morrow some type of opportunity instead of bringing in recycled band aids

Erhoff played well and probably would have helped and even been a short term upgrade and why Sweeney would consider keeping him around but if so as an insurance/spare tire as Bob Mckenzie tweeted out

Sweeney knows there will be growing pains and bumps in the road when 1/2 of every D lineup is going to be filled by players who have never played coming in to the season of less than 100 games

If Jacobs wants to fire him before his first draft class has one player who can buy a drink legally good luck to him - impatience is the the main ingredient to all failure recipes

Gonna surprise you here Dan...I agree with everything in this post. Even that patience for Sweeney is still required.

But I'd also say "patience" doesn't absolve him from criticism along the way. If the plan is to get these kids into the lineup to truly compete in 2-3 years, then he better consistently force that issue. When the two pylons get healthy enough to return, if these kids aren't killing us, the pylons should sit. It's not about maxing out our points this season, and we better see that in Sweeney's moves. That's all I ask. Last year was supposed to be the year we learned enough about Morrow and Colin to decide on them, and I don't think they accomplished that mission. Can't afford to waste another season of evaluation chasing fool's gold for the owner who sees a "long playoff run".

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
McQ and Miller.

They are on IR and Claude's system always had a stay at home 'guardian at the gate' and Chara & McQuaid were two of the three- what he's got is OGara & Carlo now who can skate and defend

Eventually it will be no 'guardian at the gate' but I can't see that big a shift right now

OGara in preseason games I went to plays fast as in gets the puck and moves it fast

I'm pretty sure that is what they are talking about I'm reading the posts here and it's like we are complaining we don't have Apolo Ohno

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
They are on IR and Claude's system always had a stay at home 'guardian at the gate' and Chara & McQuaid were two of the three- what he's got is OGara & Carlo now who can skate and defend

Eventually it will be no 'guardian at the gate' but I can't see that big a shift right now

OGara in preseason games I went to plays fast as in gets the puck and moves it fast

I'm pretty sure that is what they are talking about I'm reading the posts here and it's like we are complaining we don't have Apolo Ohno

I do know they will not be playing opening night or atleast for a bit, but those guys are clearly in the plans for this season. K. Miller especially.

I can't wait to see Carlo and O'Gara. I think they can guard the yard and still be effective in transition.

My post was simply stating that team is not exactly built to play with speed. When your projected line-up has Chara, McQ and K. Miller in it, that's not having speed. Even Krug, Carlo, O'Gara aren't what I would call fast, but they aren't slow either. C. Miller can obviously skate.

Up front you've got some speed in Pasta, Spooner, Marchand, and Czarnik. But guys like Krejci, Backes, Beleskey, HAYES aren't exactly burners.

I simply think that trying to make a team play "fast" that isn't fast is not playing to your strengths.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad