News Article: KPD: Bruins out to implement a quick change in their game

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...-their-game/TaRnTfR6Fcf59b0LJhF8HJ/story.html

When the puck drops on their new season Thursday night, the Bruins hope they’ll be a different, speedier, quicker-thinking, faster-playmaking version of themselves.

The new Black-and-Gold mantra is speed, not only to be faster afoot, but Mercury-like in thought and deed.

“Everybody wants that. It’s just a new game,’’ said team captain Zdeno Chara, now with some 1,400 games of NHL experience and perspective on his résumé. “It’s a new NHL.’’

“I want us to be a real good, smart team this year,’’ noted coach Claude Julien, a point he emphasized to his staff and players alike from the very start of training camp. “Our goal is to play fast. Every coach in the league will tell you that’s where it is now.’’

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Gotta love how they want to play fast and yet the defense is ridiculously slow and their big signing this offseason was a big slow guy. And yeah I know you don't have to be fast to "play fast", but it surely helps.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I agree we want to play fast, but if McQuaid / Miller weren't hurt they'd be in the lineup making us even slower.

Forward group looks great; lets hope Rask is ready for secondary chances again.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
You can't teach speed. You either have it or don't.
Good luck with that plan.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
Gotta love how they want to play fast and yet the defense is ridiculously slow and their big signing this offseason was a big slow guy. And yeah I know you don't have to be fast to "play fast", but it surely helps.

You see, what we need to understand is by having a very slow defense it will naturally make our offense look mighty fast.....it's an illusion that they are creating.....:laugh:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I remember last year when we were changing our breakout for a better transition game. That worked awesome. This year we get "play fast".

In a few years it will be "smell nice".

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Fleet of foot and PB37 and DK46 centering the top lines?

I love them both but speed isnt the first thing that comes to mind for either.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think they know they still have some lead foots out there. I think they want to play a faster transition game: quick passes up the ice out of the zone, short passes up the ice to help make up for some of the slower types out there.

Hopefully with guys up front like the additions of Czarnik and Moore, and an increase in ice time with Pasta will help give the appearance of being faster in terms of pure speed. A full year of CMiller and a good amount of games for Carlo/O'Gara will help with transition and skating speed as well.

We'll see.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
So you guys complain Sweeney doesn't do anything he is going with 2 rookies playing first games and passes on Erhoff to give C Miller and Joe Morrow an opportunity but I read in these threads same old same old and no changes

:shakehead

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
They're talking about acting quick, making plays quickly - not skating fast, necessarily.

Clearly. But that's a nice thing to talk about and a far harder thing to implement. One would think increased skill on the backend would help with quicker passes, more aggressive gap control, etc. But if Chara, Kevan and McQuaid are still 3 of the top 6, I don't see how any of that changes.

We will see. If Colin, Liles, Carlo and maybe even Morrow make it into the lineup every night maybe they can change. Just seems like a pretty big deviation from the past.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
Wasn't something similar said prior to last season?

I remember after the Habs 2014 debacle we were going to get faster and more skilled yet have signed/traded/re-signed guys like Hayes, Backes, Beleskey, McQuaid and Kevan Miller.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Guys like Liles, Carlo, O'Gara and Krug can transition the puck faster. Getting the puck quickly on the forwards blade while moving is 10x better then the old icing or alley-oop. How many times have we seen a pass in the skates or head high or behind the forward. Or a pass to a standing still player because he has no clue where he needs to be because it is never the samething twice.

The puck moves faster then anyone. Move it with purpose, tape to tape and watch the results. Skaters like Liles and Krug will get the green light. Teams hemmed us in easily the last few years by the dee pinching in. Forechecking hard, the gap tightened and they panicked or froze it or iced it. It was the old Montreal trap used by everyone against us and slower moving, thinking teams.

Krech, Bergy are not fast or Backes but they are smart enough to know what to do with it when they get it. The other guys can curl or hook around presenting themsleves for a outlet. We have those secondary guys in Vatrano, Pasta, Spooner, Czarnik, Beleskey. Even a rushing Krug, Chiller or Carlo can join the rush now.

I am telling you it can work and the new staff has ideas to make it work. This is not Claude's strength or his defensive coaches he had last year. This was used with Canada and he seen it firsthand. Claude has to adapt, the next wave is coming both players and coaches. Sink or swin year for him and a few others.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You can't teach speed. You either have it or don't.
Good luck with that plan.

Good thing they drafted Carlo huh that kid can seriously skate? In many instances it will be him covering for Z though Im not saying hes better than a future HOFer right now just skates faster.

Our best players aren't burners so we got someone who would 'fit' them well in Backes for Loui who was no faster. Moore and Hayes are the only slow guys in the bottom 6 and Hayes there's nothing we can do anything about just a mistake we can't get away from right now.

We can always trade Bergeron for a faster center to improve the team faster=better right?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I guess if the Bruins want a faster team, they should trade everyone who can't run 300 meters in under a minute.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Guys like Liles, Carlo, O'Gara and Krug can transition the puck faster. Getting the puck quickly on the forwards blade while moving is 10x better then the old icing or alley-oop. How many times have we seen a pass in the skates or head high or behind the forward. Or a pass to a standing still player because he has no clue where he needs to be because it is never the samething twice.

The puck moves faster then anyone. Move it with purpose, tape to tape and watch the results. Skaters like Liles and Krug will get the green light. Teams hemmed us in easily the last few years by the dee pinching in. Forechecking hard, the gap tightened and they panicked or froze it or iced it. It was the old Montreal trap used by everyone against us and slower moving, thinking teams.

Krech, Bergy are not fast or Backes but they are smart enough to know what to do with it when they get it. The other guys can curl or hook around presenting themsleves for a outlet. We have those secondary guys in Vatrano, Pasta, Spooner, Czarnik, Beleskey. Even a rushing Krug, Chiller or Carlo can join the rush now.

I am telling you it can work and the new staff has ideas to make it work. This is not Claude's strength or his defensive coaches he had last year. This was used with Canada and he seen it firsthand. Claude has to adapt, the next wave is coming both players and coaches. Sink or swin year for him and a few others.

Ha ha :laugh: Claude has to adapt good one . Same things were said last year before the season. First sign of adversity its was back to the Julien way .

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I remember last year when we were changing our breakout for a better transition game. That worked awesome. This year we get "play fast".

In a few years it will be "smell nice".

Nothing wrong with smelling nice. "Smelling nice is a priority in life for me."

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
So you guys complain Sweeney doesn't do anything he is going with 2 rookies playing first games and passes on Erhoff to give C Miller and Joe Morrow an opportunity but I read in these threads same old same old and no changes

You've got that right!;)

BTW: I believe I heard some comment today by Krug re: playing "Man to Man" defense and not backing up/in with the attacking forwards. It's about time since their old format called for a more complicated method that many d-men don't particularly like or can play naturally.

Last edited:

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

I give full credit to Sweeney for passing on Erhoff. Definitely right move. Credit due, credit absolutely given.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad