Confirmed with Link: Kostin One-Year, One-Way Contract

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I hope he spent the off-season resetting himself. Our 4th line was kind of in shambles last year, Bozak was a skeleton of his former self, and god knows who we had on the other side most nights. I think Kostin might surprise some folks this upcoming season.

There were a ton of times early in the season where he would have the puck and legit no one would be open. You could see him trying to look for linemates, but legit no one was doing anything - working to create space, etc. Then he started trying to do everything himself, probably b/c he felt pressure to "make something happen."

I hope he sees how much Toro made an impact even though he wasn't on the scoresheet much. Kostin needs to understand that he should build a foundation of that style of play, then incorporate skill slowly as he learns.

Reactions: BlueMed

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
Who is not getting a contract or opportunity because we are giving Kostin a league minimum 1 way deal? If there’s someone you or others have in mind then I’m all ears to consider them instead of giving Kostin another shot.

Are the other call ups you mention somehow not getting a fair shake because of Kostin? Cause it sure looked like plenty of people (rightly) got a chance for a call up over Kostin last season after he failed to solidify a starting spot in the lineup.
Well, Leivo and Frk, for two. Kostin being one way means these hungry veterans are more likely to be in Springfield than have their Nathan Walker hat trick moment.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Well, Leivo and Frk, for two. Kostin being one way means these hungry veterans are more likely to be in Springfield than have their Nathan Walker hat trick moment.
...and you believe Frk & Leivo are more deserving of an opportunity than Kostin? Because they’re hungry veterans who had good AHL seasons last year?

Frk is 28 and has played a total of 7 NHL games in the past 2 years combined. Say what you will about +/-, but he has also never been a positive player in the NHL.

Leivo is 29 and has played a total of 45 NHL games in the past 2 years.

If the cost of giving a 23 year old former 1st round pick with years of development and coaching invested in Kostin a 1 year league minimum one way contract to see if he can stick in the NHL is that a couple of late-twenties borderline tweeners who have been part of the organization for a couple weeks get less of a chance to stick in the NHL, then that’s a price I personally am willing to pay. For all the issues with Kostin’s development and disappointing minor league numbers, that’s still a gamble worth taking IMO.

I also think recent history points towards the fact that the Blues .org will call up the players they believe will give them the best chance to win in the NHL. If the org thinks Frk or Leivo will be a better asset in the NHL than Kostin, I don’t think they will hesitate to pull the trigger (contract status be damned). If Frk and/or Leivo come in and light the world on fire, then great! That’s good competition for Kostin and the rest of the roster for that matter. But I don’t really see much downside in making those two hungry veterans work hard for their meal. And for the record, looking up their contracs, both Frk (500k) and Leivo (750k) have high minor league salaries so neither should be going hungry anytime soon.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Kostin brings literally nothing to the table. He had chances last year to at the very least stand up for his team mates and he didn't even do that. He needs a real attitude adjustment.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If he hadn't spent 1st on him 5 years ago nobody would be bending over backwards to justify why he deserves anything. He's never produced in NA. I'm not saying he can't produce or won't improve, but if he was picked in 2nd round we'd have all written him off by now.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If he hadn't spent 1st on him 5 years ago nobody would be bending over backwards to justify why he deserves anything. He's never produced in NA. I'm not saying he can't produce or won't improve, but if he was picked in 2nd round we'd have all written him off by now.
I just don't get what there is to 'justify' about this contract. It's league minimum if he makes the team and it has zero cap considerations if he can't crack the NHL roster. Our ownership has repeatedly proven that they give Army the green light to spend extra real dollars on depth players in the AHL and Army has shown a willingness to put 1 way salaries in the AHL while 2 way contracts are in the NHL. Ownership is willing to spend beyond the cap and Army's budget has consistently been 'whatever you can fit under the salary cap.'

We're still 3 contracts away from the 50 contract limit. All 13 of our signed D are pros. We have 24 pro forwards besides Kostin and 6 pro goalies. We don't need to add anymore minor league depth, we're not at risk of losing any prospects and we still have a 3 contract buffer to add guys via trade/waivers/signing.

The worst case scenario of this contract is simply that the ownership group has to pay Kostin $750k of real dollars to be the 4th or 5th call up instead of being able to pocket that cash as profit. I couldn't care less about that as a fan.

I think it is unlikely that Kostin grows into an impactful NHL player. But I think he still has a better shot to do that than Peca (who will make $325k to be an AHL player for each of the next 2 years), Witkowski (who made $300k last year and will make that again this year to be in the AHL), Angello (who will make $300k in the AHL this year), and Highmore (who will make $425k in the AHL this year).

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I just don't get what there is to 'justify' about this contract. It's league minimum if he makes the team and it has zero cap considerations if he can't crack the NHL roster. Our ownership has repeatedly proven that they give Army the green light to spend extra real dollars on depth players in the AHL and Army has shown a willingness to put 1 way salaries in the AHL while 2 way contracts are in the NHL. Ownership is willing to spend beyond the cap and Army's budget has consistently been 'whatever you can fit under the salary cap.'

We're still 3 contracts away from the 50 contract limit. All 13 of our signed D are pros. We have 24 pro forwards besides Kostin and 6 pro goalies. We don't need to add anymore minor league depth, we're not at risk of losing any prospects and we still have a 3 contract buffer to add guys via trade/waivers/signing.

The worst case scenario of this contract is simply that the ownership group has to pay Kostin $750k of real dollars to be the 4th or 5th call up instead of being able to pocket that cash as profit. I couldn't care less about that as a fan.

I think it is unlikely that Kostin grows into an impactful NHL player. But I think he still has a better shot to do that than Peca (who will make $325k to be an AHL player for each of the next 2 years), Witkowski (who made $300k last year and will make that again this year to be in the AHL), Angello (who will make $300k in the AHL this year), and Highmore (who will make $425k in the AHL this year).
I should clarify. I'm not at all opposed to this contract. It's league minimum if he's up and no cap hit if he's not. I don't object to paying him $750k if he is in AHL. Ain't my money.

My objection was with folks on here who still keep hyping him as a prospect and bitching that he is being squeezed out by guys like Leivo. He's not. At this point we should realize that it's unlikely he ever amounts to more than depth guy who can play adequate 4th line minutes in a pinch.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I should clarify. I'm not at all opposed to this contract. It's league minimum if he's up and no cap hit if he's not. I don't object to paying him $750k if he is in AHL. Ain't my money.

My objection was with folks on here who still keep hyping him as a prospect and bitching that he is being squeezed out by guys like Leivo. He's not. At this point we should realize that it's unlikely he ever amounts to more than depth guy who can play adequate 4th line minutes in a pinch.
If anything, the fact that he's on a one-way deal and guys like Toropchenko, Walker, Frk, Angello and Highmore are on two-way deals while Kostin, Leivo and Brown are on identical $750K one way deals works to his advantage. His contract makes him as likely as anyone in this conversation, and for most, more so, to be kept on the NHL roster for financial reasons. If he finds his way back to the AHL, it won't be because some veteran took his job because Kostin's contract was more favorable to bury in the AHL, it will be because he didn't earn the right to stay in the lineup.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

I don’t see anyone bitching about that. I see more people doing the opposite - complaining about Kostin taking a spot from career AHL’ers that are nearing 30, which is much more laughable.

Reactions: BluesTraveller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad