Confirmed with Link: Kostin One-Year, One-Way Contract

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Toropchenko starts on IR, Kostin's 750K contract supplants his so that there's still the 22 man roster with 625K room that capfriendly shows. How will Neighbors or Bolduc get a trial without someone else being hurt/moved?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Kostin just seems like a total waste of a contract slot to me at this point.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
He doesn’t deserve a one-way deal, but I suppose there is no loss if we send him down.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You know I agree, Put Mikkola on waivers and hopefully someone picks him up
Nah. Mikkola is not a guy I’m willing to lose for nothing. He was very good in the playoffs and is still pretty young. Putting him on waivers would just be stupid. Perunovich is a complete unknown, Bortuzzo is aging, and Scandella is Scandella, whose contract is a problem. All things considered, Mikkola is the best option we have on the 3rd pair.

Reactions: Ranksu

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Nah. Mikkola is not a guy I’m willing to lose for nothing. He was very good in the playoffs and is still pretty young. Putting him on waivers would just be stupid. Perunovich is a complete unknown, Bortuzzo is aging, and Scandella is Scandella, whose contract is a problem. All things considered, Mikkola is the best option we have on the 3rd pair.
I was being highly sarcastic with that comment. I still 100% believe Perunovich should be sent down for a bit at the beginning of the season due to him needing to get back up speed from his injuries.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Good for Kostin, this is going to be a big year for him. Time to sink or swim!

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Look at who he was replying to and recall the nationality of that poster and Mikkola. Linkens was making a funny…and it was a pretty good one. :D

Regarding too many D, yes, the easiest answer is to send Perunovich to the AHL as he’s the only one that’s still exempt from waivers. But if he’s deserving of being in the NHL (and I’d be surprised if he didn’t show that), then I can only hope they make the appropriate room for him (cough, Scandella, cough).

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Regarding Kostin, this is a solid move. Smart of him to take less than his QO to get the one-way deal.

Hopefully 1-2 of these tweener guys (Kostin, Walker, Brown, Leivo, Frk, Highmore, etc.) will step up and emphatically grab spots and run with them.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I roll my eyes pretty hard at posts like this. Guess Kostin has already sunk and we should declare his career a failure rather and see how he does this year :eyeroll:
How many shots should we give someone before we move on and should we not give other players opportunity?

Kostin has 3 seasons worth of attempts to solidify an NHL position under his belt. His most productive NHL season was last year where he got a half season worth of games to make a case for himself. We also had plenty of injuries that he could have taken advantage. Last year he put up a few points, but his defense was lax, he continued to try to do too much, his possession was underwhelming and his forecheck was nothing special. He did however take too many penalties.

In the AHL he didn’t show too much better.

Other call ups came to play a more well rounded, team oriented game, why don’t they deserve the opportunity he squandered and how about the young guys that now need opportunities?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
How many shots should we give someone before we move on and should we not give other players opportunity?

Kostin has 3 seasons worth of attempts to solidify an NHL position under his belt. His most productive NHL season was last year where he got a half season worth of games to make a case for himself. We also had plenty of injuries that he could have taken advantage. Last year he put up a few points, but his defense was lax, he continued to try to do too much, his possession was underwhelming and his forecheck was nothing special. He did however take too many penalties.

In the AHL he didn’t show too much better.

Other call ups came to play a more well rounded, team oriented game, why don’t they deserve the opportunity he squandered and how about the young guys that now need opportunities?
Who is not getting a contract or opportunity because we are giving Kostin a league minimum 1 way deal? If there’s someone you or others have in mind then I’m all ears to consider them instead of giving Kostin another shot.

Are the other call ups you mention somehow not getting a fair shake because of Kostin? Cause it sure looked like plenty of people (rightly) got a chance for a call up over Kostin last season after he failed to solidify a starting spot in the lineup.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Kostin is a big, strong, physical, tough player. There’s a chance he can still put it together and be a productive bottom 6 player. He and Toro could be great together.

Guy plays like he has blinders on and takes too many penalties. If I needed a draft horse to pull a wagon I'd give him a call but I don't like him blocking more deserving players from an opportunity.

You mentioned Toropchenko, a 4th round pick from the same 2017 draft that's clearly passed Kostin on the depth chart. Toro is actually useful as a forechecker while Kostin hasn't been and I don't see that changing.

Kostin ignored advice from the team and his own reps shortly after being drafted and it was a big mistake for his development. Could have spent time in Moose Jaw in the Dub or stayed in Russia for a couple seasons developing and both options would have been smarter decisions than attempting to make an NHL roster and ending up in the AHL. But nooooo, he wanted to play against men. Well look where that got him, stalled his development right out and it's been slow and insubstantial since. I'm over this bing bong, he should have listened to those who knew better.

Ok rant over. Sorry Mike, this post wasn't really aimed at you. Not happy with this guys previous decisions or his development since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->