Value of: Koskinen to Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
the extra year isnt a selling feature because 2.875 for a backup isnt a good deal. Main cap crunch for Oilers is not now but next season.
would rather take that leaking Montembault than Allen in that deal.

It would kind of go against the idea behind this thread: I'd trade Allen because he's too good for the tank.
Montembault and Koskinen together would assure us Bedard next year

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I realize where the Habs are in the standings, but you might not realize how the Oilers bleed chances against. They have been really playing poorly on the defensive side for a while. However, if you think Allen is a lot better than Koskinen, cool. He isn't the starter the Oilers are looking for.

Montreal bleeds chances against. Edmonton's around league average in giving up chances by most measures.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This is NOT how it works lol

Let's just say they go after Fleury, and the agreed upon price is Lavoie, EDM will need to pay CHI in order to take on Kost, CHI doesn't HAVE to take him. They can trade Fleury elsewhere (COL, WSH, plenty of teams looking for a goalie). Taking on Kosk will cost them additionnal assets (likelly a 2nd rd pick or another B prospect)

There have been more than a few trades with throw in pieces to make it work. We won't know for sure, because the odds of Fleury waiving for Edmonton are almost nil. And the odds of Koskinen waiving for Chicago might not be good either. But this is likely the type of scenario where Chicago will take a look at the best package they can get regardless of what cap dumps have to come with it. So if it were to come down to Edmonton and Washington, and Washington is willing to offer a 2nd, and Edmonton is willing to offer a 2nd and a decent prospect with Koskinen being a part of the deal, Chicago wouldn't sit there and take the Washington offer just because they aren't getting value on taking Koskinen. They'll take the better package of futures because in the grand scheme of things, taking Koskinen just gets them a free prospect over the other offer. The way you are laying it out, you are suggesting that Chicago would take a lesser offer of futures because they aren't getting enough for taking Koskinen. Might be more likely with a cash poor team, but Chicago is doing okay.

Reactions: spaghtti

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
Edmonton is a mess and no goalie would thrive there. I am sure that the team that takes Koskinen will be pleasantly surprised. He is a good goalie and on a team that has defence he will be amazing.

Next year Koskinen will sign 1y 1m deal with another team and people will be talking how he "turned his career around".

If I was Boston I would go after Koskinen HARD.

Reactions: Smartguy

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
There have been more than a few trades with throw in pieces to make it work. We won't know for sure, because the odds of Fleury waiving for Edmonton are almost nil. And the odds of Koskinen waiving for Chicago might not be good either. But this is likely the type of scenario where Chicago will take a look at the best package they can get regardless of what cap dumps have to come with it. So if it were to come down to Edmonton and Washington, and Washington is willing to offer a 2nd, and Edmonton is willing to offer a 2nd and a decent prospect with Koskinen being a part of the deal, Chicago wouldn't sit there and take the Washington offer just because they aren't getting value on taking Koskinen. They'll take the better package of futures because in the grand scheme of things, taking Koskinen just gets them a free prospect over the other offer. The way you are laying it out, you are suggesting that Chicago would take a lesser offer of futures because they aren't getting enough for taking Koskinen. Might be more likely with a cash poor team, but Chicago is doing okay.
And they would only be taking Koskinen for a few months. if it was for the full season that is a different story.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Yeah, taking on Koskinen for a few months is quite different than taking on his contract for a full season

With how cap-strapped most of the league is, sometimes you have to eat a bad contract or two to make a deal. Koskinen's contract is expiring as well so it's theoretically much more palatable to a selling team. Might not cost as much to move out as some seem to think imo

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Habs dont want to add contracts under the 50 contract limit so a pure trade for picks or futures wont work.

Oilers can take back a Brandon Baddock or other unimportant AHLer as part of any deal.

What is dumping koskinens contract and giving the oilers deadline wiggle room worth to them?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It would kind of go against the idea behind this thread: I'd trade Allen because he's too good for the tank.
Montembault and Koskinen together would assure us Bedard next year

No one is assured of Bedard unless the lottery system doesn’t apply next year. Habs will likely get a premium asset though, whoever he might be.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
It is, but you need to get paid to do it. Otherwhise just ride McNiven and be done with it. Or sign Dubnyk or any UFA Doesn't matter. But helping the Oilers and getting nothign in return is pure idiocy and should never be considered.
It is, but you need to get paid to do it. Otherwhise just ride McNiven and be done with it. Or sign Dubnyk or any UFA Doesn't matter. But helping the Oilers and getting nothign in return is pure idiocy and should never be considered.
You related to Dubas?

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Edmonton is a mess and no goalie would thrive there. I am sure that the team that takes Koskinen will be pleasantly surprised. He is a good goalie and on a team that has defence he will be amazing.

Next year Koskinen will sign 1y 1m deal with another team and people will be talking how he "turned his career around".

If I was Boston I would go after Koskinen HARD.
Why would boston sogn him when they have swayman and ullmark?

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
You know what i find hilarious is the fact that these habs fans have literally no cap space and you have people like suzuki getting a 7m raise next year then you somehow have to fit in contracts for players your whole dcore except savard, petry, and edmundson.

Montreals only hope would be something like the oilers to take price at 50% for kosk + something small because you know we are helping you out more than youre helping us out if anything.

How are you going to sign caufield in 2 years?or really anyone? You think oilers have cap problems might want to check your own team first.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I personally feel that a 1st is too much to give up here. Also, Manson is on the IR and has M-NTC (12 team no trade) so that is probably a no go. Lastly, Manson is a pending UFA and we have already discussed in previous threads Holland is reluctant to cough up a 1st for a rental. Unless you gauge Stolarz as worthy of a 1st, and I am sure you do not.
We have someone behind the bench who might have some sway over Manson and his future plans. I wouldn't be surprised to see a player waive a NTC so he could play for his dad.
I think this deal helps fix two glaring holes. Unless the injury is keeping Manson out long term I'm not too worried about it.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Allen as the savior of the Oilers franchise wasn't the selling point.
Selling point IF you were interested in Trade idea #2 was that Allen is an upgrade on Koskinen, while being under contract next year too, on a good term. He's not the goaltender you're looking for, but he's reliable as a back up and can be a starter for a couple of games and do it just fine. He's more of a "band aid", a temporary piece that could help you right now, while you're looking for a long term solution.
For the cost of 3rd round pick (2nd if you make it in the playoffs) and Koskinen

Nobody is paying you a 2nd to upgrade backup goalies the lesser of which being a UFA. Full stop. Any cap next season on Allen’s deal only further hinders addressing the starters position. I’ll give you the Allen is better than Koskinen arguement but honestly who isn’t?

One way or another Koskinen is off the books soon be it traded out or gone this seasons end as a UFA. You want a goalie for the tank and to help get Bedard that can actually offset Allen next season let’s talk that 3rd rounder or a Lavoie with Mike Smith for Jake Allen

Last edited:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You know what i find hilarious is the fact that these habs fans have literally no cap space and you have people like suzuki getting a 7m raise next year then you somehow have to fit in contracts for players your whole dcore except savard, petry, and edmundson.

Montreals only hope would be something like the oilers to take price at 50% for kosk + something small because you know we are helping you out more than youre helping us out if anything.

How are you going to sign caufield in 2 years?or really anyone? You think oilers have cap problems might want to check your own team first.
Habs have no cap space issues.

Price on LTIR
Weber on LTIR

We're good, thabks for asking. Oilers tho will nees to find a goalie and dman with zero cap space. Good luck

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So here's the deal; we need to continue the tanking, but Cayden Primeau can't be the sacrificial lamb.
We need a NHL goalie that suck with a contract that won't hurt a so much.

Enter Koskinen.

His contract end at the end of the year, so if we want to continue our suckage, we might be able to resign him for cheap, and if he wants to get out, nobody will be sad about it.

Why Edmonton would do it?
It's 4M+ in cap relief that they can use right now to get some help between the pipes.

2 possible trade:
- Koskinen for futures considerations
Montreal won't pay a single cent for Koskinen alone, let's be real here. He's terrible and this is why I want him. Montreal than send Primeau in the AHL, where he belongs. Edmonton can than start their research for a new goaltender who might help them, and got salary space to try to target a good one.

- Koskinen with cond. 3rd 2022 round pick for Allen. Pick become a 2nd if Oilers makes the playoffs. Allen isn't a good starter but he's a great back-up. He would be solid behind Smith, if Smith can comeback in form. And he can also take the number one spot and do ok for a certain amount of games. He's paid 2.8M (I think) for this year and next year. It's not a long term solution for the Oilers, but it's a band-aid that buy them a bit of time.

no time to do this now, will create multi-trade thread later this w'e

short answer to OP

package deal sending Geo + to Oil for Kosk +

package deal sending Kosk +++ at half for Allen 50% retained +++

wait for it......

..... wait for it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad