Value of: Koskinen to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
There’s no reason to help Edmonton out of their cap crunch for free

I’m not saying it has to be a 1st or usual HF tomfoolery, but something like Kosk+4th/prospect for a nothing-burger contract seems fair

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
I personally feel that a 1st is too much to give up here. Also, Manson is on the IR and has M-NTC (12 team no trade) so that is probably a no go. Lastly, Manson is a pending UFA and we have already discussed in previous threads Holland is reluctant to cough up a 1st for a rental. Unless you gauge Stolarz as worthy of a 1st, and I am sure you do not.
His dad is the defensive coach for the oilers im sure he could be convinced to waive

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Can't see Montreal doing that, they're going to make sure they can get value from their cap space.

Allen isn't any better than Koskinen. Their numbers as basically identical this year. Not a great move for the Oilers.

Also, and I always forget to point this out, Koskinen has a M-NTC (15 team no trade list) so he'd probably kybosh a trade to Montreal. That's right, he got a high AAV, term AND a M-NTC from Chiarelli.

Their numbers aren't identical, Koskinen's GSAA numbers are clearly worse.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
There's a HUGE difference here

1- WHY help another team get out of their shit situation whitout gaining a significant asset out of it? Unless Lavoie or another B prospect is attached to Koskinen, Habs have ZERO reason to do it. Just sign Dubnyk, and leave EDM in their msiery.

2- Dubnyk doesn't cost any assets, AND could be a mentor to Primeau. Something Koskinen can't be

1- I don't care about helping the Oilers; as long as it's not the TML or the Bruins, IDGAF. At the end of the day, one team will win the Stanley Cup and by the time it happens the Habs will already be in Golf season for months.

2- Lol, non factor. Carey Price is the one who'll take Primeau under his wings

Homesick

Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Can't see Montreal doing that, they're going to make sure they can get value from their cap space.

Yea, but Jake Allen is clearly shorter.
GAA and SV% are identical. Both their GSAA's are brutal so I'm not sure why you would even bring it up, and Jake Allen has another year at 2.875 million.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Yea, but Jake Allen is clearly shorter.
GAA and SV% are identical. Both their GSAA's are brutal so I'm not sure why you would even bring it up, and Jake Allen has another year at 2.875 million.

Allen is playing on a worse team with a far better career resume. But no, Height>History.

But whatever makes you feel better I guess.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Koskinen's contract is expiring at the end of the season. The Oilers are not paying anything to get rid of it. The more likely scenario is a team that has a goalie the Oilers want takes it on for the rest of the season while the Oilers include assets for a goalie the other team is open to trading. I don't see Jake Allen worth making a deal though. It has to be someone that is either more proven or a younger guy that has potential to be the Oilers starter moving forward.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
1- I don't care about helping the Oilers; as long as it's not the TML or the Bruins, IDGAF. At the end of the day, one team will win the Stanley Cup and by the time it happens the Habs will already be in Golf season for months.

2- Lol, non factor. Carey Price is the one who'll take Primeau under his wings
You're not a GM thank god.

Helping a team out taking a cap dunp requires payment. Oil want to get out of Koskinen in order to get Fleury or something, they need to pay

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Koskinen's contract is expiring at the end of the season. The Oilers are not paying anything to get rid of it. The more likely scenario is a team that has a goalie the Oilers want takes it on for the rest of the season while the Oilers include assets for a goalie the other team is open to trading. I don't see Jake Allen worth making a deal though. It has to be someone that is either more proven or a younger guy that has potential to be the Oilers starter moving forward.
This is NOT how it works lol

Let's just say they go after Fleury, and the agreed upon price is Lavoie, EDM will need to pay CHI in order to take on Kost, CHI doesn't HAVE to take him. They can trade Fleury elsewhere (COL, WSH, plenty of teams looking for a goalie). Taking on Kosk will cost them additionnal assets (likelly a 2nd rd pick or another B prospect)

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
You're not a GM thank god.

Helping a team out taking a cap dunp requires payment. Oil want to get out of Koskinen in order to get Fleury or something, they need to pay

I don't care what the Oilers do lol

At this point in the season, I just want Primeau to get out of this mess ASAP and Kosnien is an excellent option to replace him while keeping the tank alive.

We are sucking too much to act like petty assholes, man

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I don't care what the Oilers do lol

At this point in the season, I just want Primeau to get out of this mess ASAP and Kosnien is an excellent option to replace him while keeping the tank alive
It is, but you need to get paid to do it. Otherwhise just ride McNiven and be done with it. Or sign Dubnyk or any UFA Doesn't matter. But helping the Oilers and getting nothign in return is pure idiocy and should never be considered.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Would want at least a 3rd to help Edmonton out of a cap crunch, they can have whatever depth piece they want Perreault or Paquette or someone

This is completely reasonable. Paying a 3rd if we have a deal on the table to actually improve the club moving forward a 3rd isn’t a big loss at all

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Their Sv% and GAA are the same. Almost the same # of games this year as well. Allen is no upgrade on Koskinen. Both are back ups.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Their Sv% and GAA are the same. Almost the same # of games this year as well. Allen is no upgrade on Koskinen. Both are back ups.

If only there were other ways to judge goaltenders.

But its not like it really matters, Montreal isn't trading Allen and the Oilers aren't going to be able to meaningfully upgrade on Koskinen.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If only there were other ways to judge goaltenders.

But its not like it really matters, Montreal isn't trading Allen and the Oilers aren't going to be able to meaningfully upgrade on Koskinen.

I think they can and I think they will. The asking price will be the sticking point. Holland is still high on Holloway and Broberg, but would he be willing to move a guy like Bourgault or a 1st? Possibly for the right goalie. At least I hope so.

Holland seemed to understand, without saying it outright in his last presser, that he needed to get a goaltender for Tippett and didn't.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

Again, if in your head the Habs and the Oilers are the same thing and you want to compare them equally, I don't know what to say.
One is the rock bottom of the league and you're a bordeline playoffs team.
It's should be normal for Koskinen to put better numbers because the Oilers is a much better team than the Habs this year.
Allen would outperform easely Koskinen with the same opportunities, hands down.
Allen is a tier above Koskinen has a goaltender.
And if numbers is all there is and we throw context out of the window, than McDavid is a as good as Nazem freaking Kadri and marginally better than old man Ovechkin

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I think they can and I think they will. The asking price will be the sticking point. Holland is still high on Holloway and Broberg, but would he be willing to move a guy like Bourgault or a 1st? Possibly for the right goalie. At least I hope so.

Holland seemed to understand, without saying it outright in his last presser, that he needed to get a goaltender for Tippett and didn't.

That's fine, but there aren't any goaltenders that are actually playing at a high level right now that are available. You can be willing to overpay, but if there's nothing on the market, then there's nothing on the market.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Again, if in your head the Habs and the Oilers are the same thing and you want to compare them equally, I don't know what to say.
It's should be normal for Koskinen to put better numbers because the Oilers is a much better team than the Habs this year.
And if numbers is all there is and we throw context out of the window, than McDavid is a as good as Nazem freaking Kadri and marginally better than old man Ovechkin

I realize where the Habs are in the standings, but you might not realize how the Oilers bleed chances against. They have been really playing poorly on the defensive side for a while. However, if you think Allen is a lot better than Koskinen, cool. He isn't the starter the Oilers are looking for.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
One can argue that Allen plays behind a better group of Dmen.
Allen will continue to suck balls if Oilers are icing Barrie, Bouchard, Lagesson and Broberg as regulars especially with Keith now out.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I realize where the Habs are in the standings, but you might not realize how the Oilers bleed chances against. They have been really playing poorly on the defensive side for a while. However, if you think Allen is a lot better than Koskinen, cool. He isn't the starter the Oilers are looking for.

Allen as the savior of the Oilers franchise wasn't the selling point.
Selling point IF you were interested in Trade idea #2 was that Allen is an upgrade on Koskinen, while being under contract next year too, on a good term. He's not the goaltender you're looking for, but he's reliable as a back up and can be a starter for a couple of games and do it just fine. He's more of a "band aid", a temporary piece that could help you right now, while you're looking for a long term solution.
For the cost of 3rd round pick (2nd if you make it in the playoffs) and Koskinen

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
This is NOT how it works lol

Let's just say they go after Fleury, and the agreed upon price is Lavoie, EDM will need to pay CHI in order to take on Kost, CHI doesn't HAVE to take him. They can trade Fleury elsewhere (COL, WSH, plenty of teams looking for a goalie). Taking on Kosk will cost them additionnal assets (likelly a 2nd rd pick or another B prospect)
The team trading away the goalie which is likely will only going to be a team that is not in the hunt to make any kind of impact in the playoffs are going to care about the assets they get for trading the goalie. Almost any playoff bound team wanting a goalie is going to need Chicago or any other team to take back some salary to make a deal work whether it is Koskinen or otherwise, it is expected, few playoff bound teams have much cap space to take on another salary without one going the other way. Whatever team offers the best assets in the deal are going to get the player and the team trading the goalie will likely be fine taking back an expiring contact for a few months as long as they get the assets they want for the player they are trading. They are not going to risk killing a deal they are happy with simply because of some contract they have to take on for a couple of months.

We can just agree to disagree on that one.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Allen as the savior of the Oilers franchise wasn't the selling point.
Selling point IF you were interested in Trade idea #2 was that Allen is an upgrade on Koskinen, while being under contract next year too, on a good term. He's not the goaltender you're looking for, but he's reliable as a back up and can be a starter for a couple of games and do it just fine. He's more of a "band aid", a temporary piece that could help you right now, while you're looking for a long term solution.
For the cost of 3rd round pick (2nd if you make it in the playoffs) and Koskinen
the extra year isnt a selling feature because 2.875 for a backup isnt a good deal. Main cap crunch for Oilers is not now but next season.
would rather take that leaking Montembault than Allen in that deal.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
One can argue that Allen plays behind a better group of Dmen.
Allen will continue to suck balls if Oilers are icing Barrie, Bouchard, Lagesson and Broberg as regulars especially with Keith now out.

We could argue about which defense is worse (real answer is the Habs, I mean, look at the stats bro; 38 goals in the past 8 games) but at least you have players who can move the puck.
Still, we can throw in Chiarot or Edmunson for the right price too if you want. We're selling the house!

Last edited:
Reactions: LTIR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad