Player Discussion Koskinen Re-Signed PT2

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
4)We're long suffering Oilers fans here. All kinds of salt found here. Its been a bitter experience. Do we view everything objectively and positively? No.

True mate.
Only a salty Oiler fan can enter the Oiler HF threads and truly understand the salt, sarcasm, and vitriol.

Back on topic: I liked Kosko's game last night (watched 2 periods). Solid down low, hugging the posts, and a great glove.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
What do ya know. Koski posts good numbers when we have a healthy D (Which can still be improved). Who would have thunk?

I remember when Mac T pulled Conklin in the So lol. He came to the bench and chucked his mask lol.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
He looked good during the game. As soon as it went to a shootout I knew we had lost. All 4 shots beat our goalie. He is just not good at the shootout. Many have said it already, but holy man that was a bad showing.

Still, 3 out of 4 points with our star out of the line-up, and pushing a great team to the SO is a good result in my books. Need the team to step up so we can actually beat Toronto. I would love to hear the media make excuses instead of gloating.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He looked good during the game. As soon as it went to a shootout I knew we had lost. All 4 shots beat our goalie. He is just not good at the shootout. Many have said it already, but holy man that was a bad showing.

Still, 3 out of 4 points with our star out of the line-up, and pushing a great team to the SO is a good result in my books. Need the team to step up so we can actually beat Toronto. I would love to hear the media make excuses instead of gloating.

Don't forget he took a sick day for the Coyotes game, so 4 points out of six with him not in the lineup in three consecutive games (not consecutive games, just the consecutive games McDavid missed) . I'm okay with that showing.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
What do ya know. Koski posts good numbers when we have a healthy D (Which can still be improved). Who would have thunk?

I remember when Mac T pulled Conklin in the So lol. He came to the bench and chucked his mask lol.

At least he didn't refuse to come out like the Chelsea goalkeeper did this past weekend.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Man is this guy tough to get a read on. Sucked in the shootout, but frankly that doesn't bother me much as that should only happen a few times a year, but consistency is an issue in his first year here.

Started nicely in his first 16 appearances putting up a .930 save percentage and a 11-3-1 record. Then craps the bed over the next 14 appearances with an .875 save percentage and a 3-8-1 record. Now's he's rebounding nicely with a 7 game stretch of .920 save percentage and 2-3-2 record. Sample looks even nicer when you shrink it to the window with Sekera back .938 and 2-0-2.

Overall we've got a .909 goalie with a 16-14-4 record playing behind questionable defense most of the year. It's not good enough, but if he can smooth out the low points we may be able to win enough with him as our primary to get into the playoffs as the team in front of him improves.

At this point we're stuck with him regardless, so let's hope he can hold the fort for awhile and we see Starrett continue to develop positively to gradually take over.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
I remember the Mike Morrison one plus his stint here. It kind of serves as example of how much MacT was swayed by short sample, desperate, and thinking out of the box, not in a good way. Nobody familiar with goaltending position, mentaility, key to preparation, would do what MacT did there.

It smacks of someone trying to be clever. Someone that isn't.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Man is this guy tough to get a read on. Sucked in the shootout, but frankly that doesn't bother me much as that should only happen a few times a year, but consistency is an issue in his first year here.

Started nicely in his first 16 appearances putting up a .930 save percentage and a 11-3-1 record. Then craps the bed over the next 14 appearances with an .875 save percentage and a 3-8-1 record. Now's he's rebounding nicely with a 7 game stretch of .920 save percentage and 2-3-2 record. Sample looks even nicer when you shrink it to the window with Sekera back .938 and 2-0-2.

Overall we've got a .909 goalie with a 16-14-4 record playing behind questionable defense most of the year. It's not good enough, but if he can smooth out the low points we may be able to win enough with him as our primary to get into the playoffs as the team in front of him improves.

At this point we're stuck with him regardless, so let's hope he can hold the fort for awhile and we see Starrett continue to develop positively to gradually take over.

Theres stints in the schedule that can look different. Teams Koski will do better against than others. Right now the schedule has been that for him. Toronto is a different challenge. Preds, particularly Arvidsson for some reason have had some trouble finishing against us. I don't think Nashville played particularly well last night either. They've been an odd team, which will be better now with the additions but Preds haven't really been knocking the stuffing out of the NHL this season. Its been a down year for them. They don't look confident in scoring terms, except in shootout.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I remember the Mike Morrison one plus his stint here. It kind of serves as example of how much MacT was swayed by short sample, desperate, and thinking out of the box, not in a good way. Nobody familiar with goaltending position, mentaility, key to preparation, would do what MacT did there.

It smacks of someone trying to be clever. Someone that isn't.

Can see it in their management style too unfortunately.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
It's the hardest shot to stop, and you are acting like Kosko has "issues" with them. My point is you can't fault him for occasionally letting in the hardest shot in the game, all starters do that. Islanders game? Please tell me when we loaded up cross ice one timers against them, let alone anyone this year. We don't even have that shot as an option with our roster. Drai is the only one who can pull it off, and he gets an opportunity on net like that like once in 10 games.
There's a whole lot to be read about, I don't have the time to read the whole HFboards. But I'll stick with this. So, he does not move as fast as... people want? That's not a critizing him. Like even Rinne in a god mode in this league, sure, he has his ups and downs, but even in he's above tier when he's on. Can't really put this on Koskinen. I mean, when some, like say Kucherov or anyone else does onetimers. There's no way to stop it. Not Rinne, not anyone. Sometimes it's just inevitable. Goalie can't do all, and I for one think Koskinen has been playing confident. May not be Price and such, but to discredit his efforts. There are just sometimes that goalie play well and can't be a god and slow the puck down at will. I'll just leave with that. :)

Reactions: TheNumber4

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
There's a whole lot to be read about, I don't have the time to read the whole HFboards. But I'll stick with this. So, he does not move as fast as... people want? That's not a critizing him. Like even Rinne in a god mode in this league, sure, he has his ups and downs, but even in he's above tier when he's on. Can't really put this on Koskinen. I mean, when some, like say Kucherov or anyone else does onetimers. There's no way to stop it. Not Rinne, not anyone. Sometimes it's just inevitable. Goalie can't do all, and I for one think Koskinen has been playing confident. May not be Price and such, but to discredit his efforts. There are just sometimes that goalie play well and can't be a god and slow the puck down at will. I'll just leave with that. :)

Agreed. I mean if Kosko let’s in softies (he barely ever does) then it’s time to start talking about his game. But when he’s letting in the tough ones, like wide open uncontested shots, cross ice one timers, uncontested shots from a foot out where no amount of reaction time only luck can stop it, we’re wasting our time criticizing those parts of his game.

Reactions: backwards motion

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Biggest issue for me was the org jumping the gun and giving him the contract without more viewings. Obviously as an Oiler fan, I want him to succeed, but I see no earthly reason they needed to jump so quickly. And the way they've shot themselves in the foot with premature signings the last 4 years leaves one to second most of what they do.

Reactions: bone and guymez

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The fact that he was re-signed right before they fired Chiarelli (well before they needed to) is all the justification you need (among the countless other reasons) to shit can the entire OBC.

Reactions: MikeYEG and guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Being poor on angles is one thing but how is it that a goalie as big as Koskinen can get beat high as often as he does?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So...Ladies and Gents...meet the starting goalie for the foreseeable future.

Color me not impressed.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Thought our backup looked pretty good tonight in his half of the game. Enough viewings for me. Sign him to 2.5 for 2 years.

Use the Koskinen template....play him 15+ games and then sign him as a starter. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad