Player Discussion Koskinen Re-Signed PT2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
2qnqdmp.gif

Hah made me laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Biggest issue for me was the org jumping the gun and giving him the contract without more viewings. Obviously as an Oiler fan, I want him to succeed, but I see no earthly reason they needed to jump so quickly. And the way they've shot themselves in the foot with premature signings the last 4 years leaves one to second most of what they do.

Yep. At least they’ve played it smart with Chiasson and waited out his hot streak, so maybe Gretzky knows better than Chia in that regard at least? (I hope)

Chiasson earlier probably would have cost 3 per. Now he probably costs 1.5 per.

It’s impossible to know what Koskinen would have signed for if we waited even until now, but I can’t see having to give him the term or AAV we did. Maybe 2 years @3.0?

Being poor on angles is one thing but how is it that a goalie as big as Koskinen can get beat high as often as he does?

It’s usually because he’s slow. When you don’t get in place as quickly, you don’t get set in time, and you leave more holes for the shooter. It’s why skating is so important for goalies in the modern NHL, and, for example, why goalies went from using dull blades to using really sharp blades.

I actually don’t think Koskinen is bad at angles. When he doesn’t need to move, he usually makes the stop. It’s why he’s so good when a guy is all alone in the slot with the puck. The problem is getting into position. He knows where he needs to go, he just can’t get there.

2qnqdmp.gif

Hah made me laugh.

I’d laugh, but with how often he actually goes to that move, it more makes me want to cry :confused:

Reactions: McShogun99

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
In the last page I said Toronto would be trouble for Koskinen.

Also stated Leafs would score 6 tonight.

Nailed it in both instances, and yes I know Koski wasn't on for all 6, just saying.

A team with scoring confidence is going to bury Koskinen most times. If we ever build a team that can even get into the playoffs riding this goalie doesn't auger well.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It’s usually because he’s slow. When you don’t get in place as quickly, you don’t get set in time, and you leave more holes for the shooter. It’s why skating is so important for goalies in the modern NHL, and, for example, why goalies went from using dull blades to using really sharp blades.

I actually don’t think Koskinen is bad at angles. When he doesn’t need to move, he usually makes the stop. It’s why he’s so good when a guy is all alone in the slot with the puck. The problem is getting into position. He knows where he needs to go, he just can’t get there.

To my eye there has to be some positional issues here. He has a tendency to make himself too small in the net.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yep. At least they’ve played it smart with Chiasson and waited out his hot streak, so maybe Gretzky knows better than Chia in that regard at least? (I hope)

Chiasson earlier probably would have cost 3 per. Now he probably costs 1.5 per.

It’s impossible to know what Koskinen would have signed for if we waited even until now, but I can’t see having to give him the term or AAV we did. Maybe 2 years @3.0?

I’d laugh, but with how often he actually goes to that move, it more makes me want to cry :confused:

I think people are starting to see the form and technique problems in this goalie that we have been stating all along. The junk in his game is actually increasing. More of the diving and out of control flailing. I really wonder what this goalie looks like when he unravels in time. Took years for that to occur with Talbot. I think the NHL, and what the Oilers allow, will get to Koski by next season. If its not already. He looked shaken.

This is the 4th time now he's been pulled afairc. That shouldn't happen that often in a season to a quality goalie. he looked real off in 2nd period. Completely rattled. So much for making that one, or series of saves to keep a team in the game. I think he let in something like 4/7 shots once the doors fell in.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I remember years ago when we had Garon. His first year here he had his own personal goaltending coach and he all but took the starting job away from Roloson. Over the following summer management made Garon relieve his personal coach in favour of the teams coach and his game tanked.

Koskinen came in and his first dozen games were pretty good but his game can dip. Where am I going with this? Go find koskinens goalie coach from europe so he can keep getting the coaching that brought him back to the nhl.

Maybe his game will be more consistent :dunno:

kiekkoisa

Jan 11, 2019
So you are saying that Kosko was totally bad but I think that you can only put Toronto's 4. goal in his fault. Toronto's attack was more effective than Dynamic duo (McDavid & Draisaitl).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In the last page I said Toronto would be trouble for Koskinen.

Also stated Leafs would score 6 tonight.

Nailed it in both instances, and yes I know Koski wasn't on for all 6, just saying.

A team with scoring confidence is going to bury Koskinen most times. If we ever build a team that can even get into the playoffs riding this goalie doesn't auger well.

Leafs are a problem match up for the Oilers period. Oilers like to try and grind games out, keep it 2-1 or so, not too many chances. Keep the game slow and wait for McDavid or Draisaitl to come through.

Leafs are a team that goes off to score in bunches and has knockout power with their forward depth. The Oilers can't hang with that on most nights, not as presently constructed.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Power house Leafs offense that averages about 4 goals a game anyways. They light up goalies on a regular basis, but sure Kosko who sits behind one of the worst defences in the league and a team running on zero confidence with no ability to play any hockey in the opposition end. This is the game that’s going to define him, despite 3 of 4 goals being defensive breakdowns.

This was an auto loss on the schedule. Would have been with Talbot in too, cept Talbot would have let in the first shot on net which just happened to be a Marlaeu breakaway.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
4th goal was crap.

The first 3 I cannot really fault Koskinen on (I am going off highlights here, only saw first period). Some pretty bad defending on all three of them (funny enough looked to have been from different D pairs on each of those three goals against) together with Toronto being pretty good at offence.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Power house Leafs offense that averages about 4 goals a game anyways. They light up goalies on a regular basis, but sure Kosko who sits behind one of the worst defences in the league and a team running on zero confidence with no ability to play any hockey in the opposition end. This is the game that’s going to define him, despite 3 of 4 goals being defensive breakdowns.

This was an auto loss on the schedule. Would have been with Talbot in too, cept Talbot would have let in the first shot on net which just happened to be a Marlaeu breakaway.
So when we win or play well, you're telling everyone that, see, this is what we would look like with all of our defencemen playing and Koski in net. Then, when we lose, it's because we have a terrible defence. Lol.

Reactions: MikeYEG

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Leafs are a problem match up for the Oilers period. Oilers like to try and grind games out, keep it 2-1 or so, not too many chances. Keep the game slow and wait for McDavid or Draisaitl to come through.

Leafs are a team that goes off to score in bunches and has knockout power with their forward depth. The Oilers can't hang with that on most nights, not as presently constructed.
Our players got caught standing around far too much. Koskinen made some decent saves to keep them in early, but for some reason we continued to let guys get behind us.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So when we win or play well, you're telling everyone that, see, this is what we would look like with all of our defencemen playing and Koski in net. Then, when we lose, it's because we have a terrible defence. Lol.

No I’m saying when we have all our D men in Kosko gives our very still sh*tty team Atleast a chance of winning a game unlikeTalbot who gives us no chance at all. Read that 3 times so you finally understand please, tired of repeating myself to you.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
No I’m saying when we have all our D men in Kosko gives our very still sh*tty team Atleast a chance of winning a game unlikeTalbot who gives us no chance at all. Read that 3 times so you finally understand please, tired of repeating myself to you.
Newsflash. Talbot dorsn’t play for us anymore. But your fixation on him continues.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Newsflash. Talbot dorsn’t play for us anymore. But your fixation on him continues.

No your fixation with me continues which leads to Talbot getting brought up, cause thats what my whole point was that you need to being reminded of cause you can’t read or understand things.

Reactions: McHockeyfan91

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
No your fixation with me continues which leads to Talbot getting brought up, cause thats what my whole point was that you need to being reminded of cause you can’t read or understand things.
Lol, nice try. I read your stuff but none of it makes sense. So you keep repeating the same dumb stuff. You bring up Talbot on your own, with anyone.

Koskinen will be judged on his own, not as Talbot's replacement.Which he should be. You really need to get over your obssession with Talbot though.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lol, nice try. I read your stuff but none of it makes sense. So you keep repeating the same dumb stuff. You bring up Talbot on your own, with anyone.

Koskinen will be judged on his own, not as Talbot's replacement.Which he should be. You really need to get over your obssession with Talbot though.

Pretty sure no one sees it this way cept you. But it’s your world live it how you see fit.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Man I had to block the guy awhile ago. Borderline obsessed with me. Just petty arrogant replies all day. Do yourself a favour and follow suit.

Reactions: TheNumber4

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
2qnqdmp.gif

Hah made me laugh.

pretty much this.

Get Nurse off the top 4,
Find a way to get rid of Koskinen and bring in someone like Haroslav Halak and bring up Starrett as backup

Only a pipedream

same people who thought it was a good idea to sign this guy to 4.5 a year for 3 years are still here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad