Value of: Kopitar to Montreal

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The guy is a monster he's ppg again playing with garbage. Idk what he would cost but if he ever gets any help he will have a monster season

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Habs fan here. Kopitar was a great player, is still an excellent player but not worth what the Kings would want in return.

The Habs should only attempt a monster trade if a Grade A #1 LHD would be on the market. Think prime Pronger.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Habs fan here. Kopitar was a great player, is still an excellent player but not worth what the Kings would want in return.

The Habs should only attempt a monster trade if a Grade A #1 LHD would be on the market. Think prime Pronger.
Kopitar still has a lot in the tank but Montreal still needs defense you're right. Prime pronger would take Weber's spot tho.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Actually if Montreal wants klefbom I'd take a forward or two in exchange get him off the power play and give us scoring wingers for a second line

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Actually if Montreal wants klefbom I'd take a forward or two in exchange get him off the power play and give us scoring wingers for a second line

id take Kopitar but that would involve Kings accepting Danault back (because we dont need another center without givin a center and Kop would take his spot), along with a 1st rd pick+ Ylonen (or any other prospect not named Caufield or Romanov). Could

If it isnt enough for Kings then not interested.

We lack defence more than another center.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Kopitar is on a much higher level than Subban though.
He is also a fair but older than Subban was when he was traded.

Personally would not be interested as the cost would not be worth it since he alone would not be the piece the Habs need to win a cup.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
id take Kopitar but that would involve Kings accepting Danault back (because we dont need another center without givin a center and Kop would take his spot), along with a 1st rd pick+ Ylonen (or any other prospect not named Caufield or Romanov). Could

If it isnt enough for Kings then not interested.

We lack defence more than another center.
Not a terrible starting point.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
For the first time since a long time, C isn't a short term solution. If we trade for Kopitar, it means that we open a real window for 2-3 seasons, and that also means that we have absolutely no choice to make another major trade for a 1LD. So Kopitar would cost something like Danault + 1st + Brook + 2nd that become 1st if we make the SCF (or something like that, I'm not proposing, I'm making a point). And after that, we need to give pretty much the same thing for a 1LD, and without a 1st in 2 seasons, we need to start talking about Caufield, Suzuki, Romanov or KK AND add.

We won't gut the future for a 2-3 years window.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
For the first time since a long time, C isn't a short term solution. If we trade for Kopitar, it means that we open a real window for 2-3 seasons, and that also means that we have absolutely no choice to make another major trade for a 1LD. So Kopitar would cost something like Danault + 1st + Brook + 2nd that become 1st if we make the SCF (or something like that, I'm not proposing, I'm making a point). And after that, we need to give pretty much the same thing for a 1LD, and without a 1st in 2 seasons, we need to start talking about Caufield, Suzuki, Romanov or KK AND add.

We won't gut the future for a 2-3 years window.
like half ot montreals team is super old just move wingers or prospects for a lhd

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
if you wanna win amd you can somehow pull kopitar from the kings you do that every day.

he is basically their all situation center so he is prob expensive the kings should rebuild tho

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Kopitar isn't able to help LA be a contending team . He would be able to help Montreal either and wouldn't be worth giving up top prospects draft picks to get him .

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I don't see a realistic offer that would make sense for both teams. LA wants to keep Kopitar to show the way for the young guys coming in and Montreal won't give away the future for a 32 yo with a long contract, even tho, still great player.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That doesn't disprove what I said. They could be traded or they could not be traded, what a GM says has little value when talking trades.

Much of the time, that's true, but there's no reason to doubt it in this case. There's a lot of talent in LA's pipeline, but none of it looks likely (if even able) to replace Kopitar and Doughty, at least in the next 5 years. Those two are necessary for stability so that the prospects are brought up the right way. Trading them would set the team back years and risk a situation like Edmonton was recently in, where the young players were forced to develop while carrying the burden of winning and the team spun its tires year after year.

Kopitar isn't able to help LA be a contending team . He would be able to help Montreal either and wouldn't be worth giving up top prospects draft picks to get him .

Kopitar would help any team to become a contender. He just isn't enough, by himself, to make every team a contender.

Last edited:

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
No thanks, habs do not need Kopitar.

I don't believe there is a fit here...but you can't say the habs "do not need Kopitar" ...he would be the best player on the team (aside from Price).
He would auotmatically slide in as 1C.

Reactions: Snowpants

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
LOL

Price won't get you Kopitar. The Kings have zero need for another 32 year old goalie

Price may be 32 but he's still a top 3 goalie in the league.

There's a reason why he's been voted (by players and coaches) as either the best goalie or the hardest goalie to play against for 3 years running now. He is nothing short of elite even at 32.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

There's a reason why he's been voted (by players and coaches) as either the best goalie or the hardest goalie to play against for 3 years running now. He is nothing short of elite even at 32.
LOL reading is fundamental

The Kings have zero need for another 32 year old goalie
In any area of life something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.
Price may have value to other teams , but not to the Kings who are rebuilding and have zero use for Price

Reactions: go4hockey

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005

it's not the player today, 3-4 years down the road you have a 36 year old goalie making $10.5M for another 4 years and why would the rebuilding kings want that? in 3-4 years kopitar will be ready to ride off in the sunset.

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
yea thanks but we prefer forming Suzuki, Poehling, Kotkaniemi

lol..wow...today, if all three helped they could maybe carry Kopi's jock strap, maybe in a few years...i just don't see any of these three being a better option TODAY.
Sorry you're just being a homer

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
LOL reading is fundamental

In any area of life something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.
Price may have value to other teams , but not to the Kings who are rebuilding and have zero use for Price

it's not the player today, 3-4 years down the road you have a 36 year old goalie making $10.5M for another 4 years and why would the rebuilding kings want that? in 3-4 years kopitar will be ready to ride off in the sunset.

Elite goalies don't just fall off a cliff, I'd wager Price will still be one of the best even at 36, no doubt about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad