Knights fans displeased with how the team has handled its star players

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
So has anybody confirmed that Vegas fans are actually upset??? Have we just made a 7 page thread for nothing or do these upset fans exist
Most fans are not upset at all, but there was a caller to "The Rant" (a small segment of a local news program where folks leave phone messages that gripe about anything and everything) where some old guy called in to bash the Knights as being "too cheap to pay players" .... as if Vegas did not consistently max out the Cap (or overrun it through LTIR).

Being Vegas, most fans know that hockey is just another entertainment business and entertainers can be moved around like so many widgets (and are well-compensated for that inconvenience).

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Marchessault was the heartbeat of the Golden Knights. That's the only good thing about the Vegas cup photo is him in the middle because it looks like the beating heart to that club.

That being said, the final straw for Vegas is when they trade William Karlsson. Notice how I didn't say if? Because that's the soul of the Golden Knights.

I predict the time Vegas will suck is when a generational talent comes in the way and it's a two-year rebuild with bad contracts set to expire in time for their prospects to be ready to take over the league.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Eh I don't agree. If someone busts their ass for you and brings you a Cup and is a Conn Smythe trophy winner just a season ago, you owe it to them to treat them with a higher level of respect than some random cap casualty to be kicked to the curb. We're not talking about like 2-3 years ago even here, dude was the Conn Smythe trophy winner 12 freaking months ago, lol.

Other players around the league are going to start to take notice of this stuff, it was one thing when it was MAF but now it's piling up.
Loyalty gets you a situation such as our own with Gallagher. You come to a mutual understanding (contract) when it's over it's over. It's a job, just better paying than most.

Wow imagine wanting to stay in your job in the same city lol

What do you do for a living?

This thread feels like it’s filled with a lot of nihilistic bizbros who pretend nothing should phase anyone ever
Of course it is going to phase a player, but the player as well as fans need to be realistic.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Loyalty gets you a situation such as our own with Gallagher. You come to a mutual understanding (contract) when it's over it's over. It's a job, just better paying than most.

Of course it is going to phase a player, but the player as well as fans need to be realistic.

It’s unrealistic to expect a team you’ve had success with try and keep you?

Reactions: JPT

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
It’s unrealistic to expect a team you’ve had success with try and keep you?
Yes. Why after your contract is up should someone feel they are owed anything? It's not unrealistic to want to stay, but if the team feels they will be better off for whatever reason without you, then it's time to look at something else. The only people guaranteed life employment are unionized public sector workers and tenured professors and those two groups shouldn't be either.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Yes. Why after your contract is up should someone feel they are owed anything? It's not unrealistic to want to stay, but if the team feels they will be better off for whatever reason without you, then it's time to look at something else. The only people guaranteed life employment are unionized public sector workers and tenured professors and those two groups shouldn't be either.

Are you a psychopath or are you joking? These posts are getting disturbing lol

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Wow imagine wanting to stay in your job in the same city lol

What do you do for a living?

This thread feels like it’s filled with a lot of nihilistic bizbros who pretend nothing should phase anyone ever
Marchy could have stayed for less money and a shorter contract, but Vegas had and has utterly no obligation to pay any player one dime more than the organization believes it should pay under its metrics.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Eh I don't agree. If someone busts their ass for you and brings you a Cup and is a Conn Smythe trophy winner just a season ago, you owe it to them to treat them with a higher level of respect than some random cap casualty to be kicked to the curb. We're not talking about like 2-3 years ago even here, dude was the Conn Smythe trophy winner 12 freaking months ago, lol.

Other players around the league are going to start to take notice of this stuff, it was one thing when it was MAF but now it's piling up.

I don’t agree, the knights want to keep winning. This guy is 34 years old.

A big contract here would hurt the team.

No one is bigger than the team

Reactions: VaporTrail

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I guess the drawback of being ruthless would be that you develop a reputation around the league and maybe players don't look so fondly to Vegas as a desirable destination.

However, it doesn't seem to be hurting Vegas yet.

Fans can get over this stuff pretty quickly depending on how the team is doing on the ice.

For example, remember when bordereau was pushed out by vancouver, and tocchet came in? It was a very unpopular move but it didn't take long for canucks fans to forget everything as the wins piled up.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I guess the drawback of being ruthless would be that you develop a reputation around the league and maybe players don't look so fondly to Vegas as a desirable destination.

However, it doesn't seem to be hurting Vegas yet.

Fans can get over this stuff pretty quickly depending on how the team is doing on the ice.

For example, remember when bordereau was pushed out by vancouver, and tocchet came in? It was a very unpopular move but it didn't take long for canucks fans to forget everything as the wins piled up.
Vegas has empty cupboards and no draft capital. They can't replace what they've lost over the years and they are going to suck for a long time in a little bit. mark Stone is a fragile hockey player now and Vegas played fast and loose with draft capital over the years with trades and they are starting to age without strong enough players coming in to replace the old. While I agree offering a long term contract for a player who 34 is stupid, I take pleasure in Vegas's downfall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad