Seravalli: Klingberg fires his agent - now represented by Newport

Status
Not open for further replies.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
So what? He’s a pro hockey player not a pro accountant. He’s supposed to be able to trust this guy. Mackinnon can write his own ticket anywhere, it’s a horrible comparison.
What about NBA player Dennis Schröder? Lakers offered him 4 years $84 millions contract. He and his agent turned it down. At the end he had to accept 1 year $5.9 million contract at Celtics because basically all teams had used their cap space. Sometimes opportunities come and go.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Well, as a Ducks fan I would be happy to have him but on a 1-2 year contract. We could offer more dollars, probably. On the other hand, I don't see why a more competitive team wouldn't give him some similar deal at the worst. What about Isles, Rangers, Devils, Flames, heck... even Stars. They seem to have some cap space.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Well, as a Ducks fan I would be happy to have him but on a 1-2 year contract. We could offer more dollars, probably. On the other hand, I don't see why a more competitive team wouldn't give him some similar deal at the worst. What about Isles, Rangers, Devils, Flames, heck... even Stars. They seem to have some cap space.
Islanders have Pulock Dobson at RHD, Rangers have Fox Trouba Schneider, Devils have Hamilton Marino Severson Nemec, Calgary has Andersson Weegar Tanev. All the teams you listed don't want / need a RHD, except for Dallas, who really do.

I'm expecting one of John Klingberg, Mackenzie Weegar, Seth Jones, Erik Johnson or Tyler Myers to end up in Dallas before the season begins.

Reactions: Kalv

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Still need to re-sign Robertson and Oettinger. This should eat pretty much all of that capspace.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Islanders have Pulock Dobson at RHD, Rangers have Fox Trouba Schneider, Devils have Hamilton Marino Severson Nemec, Calgary has Andersson Weegar Tanev. All the teams you listed don't want / need a RHD, except for Dallas, who really do.

I'm expecting one of John Klingberg, Mackenzie Weegar, Seth Jones, Erik Johnson or Tyler Myers to end up in Dallas before the season begins.
Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

It looks like Dallas have 11.5M cap available but with Robertson and Oettinger still to be resigned. Any notable RD would mean them moving something out, right? Anaheim might end up not being a horrible fit at all, given the circumstances

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

It looks like Dallas have 11.5M cap available but with Robertson and Oettinger still to be resigned. Any notable RD would mean them moving something out, right? Anaheim might end up not being a horrible fit at all, given the circumstances
The most obvious candidate to ship out is Faksa (3 year contract), but it requires him waiving his No Trade Clause and a lot of teams don't want to take on that contract. Chicago would take it in a Jones deal if he waived. I'm starting to speculate about Jamie Benn going for a $5m or $6m player to a team with a bit of cap space. I dunno.

To get back to signing Klingberg, they would probably have to dump Faksa or Benn or Pavelski or Suter or Seguin or Lindell. First two could happen, next two less likely, and final two quite unlikely IMO.

I'm starting to question how Dallas plans to add a RHD in this situation. Analyzing it all logically, mind keeps drifting back to Seth Jones (Faksa + Pavelski/Suter/Lindell or Jamie Benn in the deal). Perhaps they simply don't add anyone.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The most obvious candidate to ship out is Faksa (3 year contract), but it requires him waiving his No Trade Clause and a lot of teams don't want to take on that contract. Chicago would take it in a Jones deal if he waived. I'm starting to speculate about Jamie Benn going for a $5m or $6m player to a team with a bit of cap space. I dunno.

To get back to signing Klingberg, they would probably have to dump Faksa or Benn or Pavelski or Suter or Seguin or Lindell. First two could happen, next two less likely, and final two quite unlikely IMO.

I'm starting to question how Dallas plans to add a RHD in this situation. Analyzing it all logically, mind keeps drifting back to Seth Jones (Faksa + Pavelski/Suter/Lindell or Jamie Benn in the deal). Perhaps they simply don't add anyone.
The word on the street (and Bjorkstrand deal) is that money is extremely hard to move right now, so yeah might not be as easy for Dallas.

Ducks are starving for minute-eating defencemen that can be physical, so if you want to give Hawk back... :laugh: I understand why you wouldn't give up one of your 2 RD tho.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Karlsson got 8 x $11.5m starting at age 29.

Doughty got 8 x $11m starting at age 29.

Bobrovsky got 7 x $10m starting at age 31.

Kopitar got 8 x $10m starting at age 29.

Gaudreau got 7 x $9.75m starting at age 29.

Ovechkin got 5 x $9.5m starting at age 36.

Backstrom got 5 x $9.2m starting at age 33.

Pietrangelo got 7 x $8.8m starting at age 30.

Couturier got 8 x $7.75m starting at age 29.

Those are all franchise players, which Klingberg isn't. And the financial situation is certainly different now than it was when those guys signed.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

I don't think they are. Stars used most of their surplus capspace on Marchment and then signed Miller as a budget RHD option.

At this point they're going to re-sign their remaining RFA's and thats that. Offseason done.

Instead of signing Marchment and Miller they could've re-signed Klingberg but didn't do it.

Faksa is just too hard to move right now without adding major assets. Probably would need to move Khudobins buried deal as well which is easier to probably still costs assets.

Reactions: LT

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I think Dallas is hoping that Heiskanen can step up into Klingberg’s role as the primary offensive defender (which he absolutely should be able to do). The riskier part is then hoping Harley slides into Heiskanen’s previous spot. If that does happen, Dallas should be alright. The only problem is that we’d have 4 LHD and 2 RHD (both bottom pairing caliber).

Lindell - Heiskanen
Suter - Miller
Harley - Hakanpaa

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Karlsson got 8 x $11.5m starting at age 29.

Doughty got 8 x $11m starting at age 29.

Bobrovsky got 7 x $10m starting at age 31.

Kopitar got 8 x $10m starting at age 29.

Gaudreau got 7 x $9.75m starting at age 29.

Ovechkin got 5 x $9.5m starting at age 36.

Backstrom got 5 x $9.2m starting at age 33.

Pietrangelo got 7 x $8.8m starting at age 30.

Couturier got 8 x $7.75m starting at age 29.

If GMs would have time machine and they could go back in time they would never ink those three on the top. Franchice crippling deals. Ofc if they just want to keep band togehter after cups and/or sell tickets it is okayish move, especially if nothing else is available. But throwing boat loads of money for UFAs is not perhaps the best scenario to build on when seeking success: see John Tavares & The Laughs

Reactions: brentashton

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
He's been linked to Ottawa and Detroit, both teams that have cap space. I wonder why it's taking so long?

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Maybe he should have played better. Hopeless to blame the agent. Agent is working out of how a player has performed and future potential. Some future potential is harder to "sell" than others.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Maybe he should have played better. Hopeless to blame the agent. Agent is working out of how a player has performed and future potential. Some future potential is harder to "sell" than others.

Kadri just had the best season of his career, yet he's in the same boat as Klingberg. :dunno:

Sometimes it's the agent.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
People keep dogging the player for wanting too much. seems to me most of these guys have little to do with it and follow the agents advice 100%. I highly doubt this is the player wanting more money than what was offered, way more likely the agent told him to hold out and now some offers have gone off the table.…and the player is finally trying to regain some control of his destiny.
Highly doubt it's the agent that tells him. The agent does not decide. It is the player.
Most likely is that he himself has not been happy enough with the offers received because as some mentioned he has been paid a little bit too little to this point and is expecting a better deal because of that now.

Others GM's won't necessarily give that, heck the GM from your own team often doesn't honor a previous "agreement".

Kadri just had the best season of his career, yet he's in the same boat as Klingberg. :dunno:

Sometimes it's the agent.
1. Kadri is rumored to have some agreement in place.

2. Yet many GM's don't think he will have that same standard in a different team as well as getting 35+, I wonder why that is...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Highly doubt it's the agent that tells him. The agent does not decide. It is the player.
Most likely is that he himself has not been happy enough with the offers received because as some mentioned he has been paid a little bit too little to this point and is expecting a better deal because of that now.

Others GM's won't necessarily give that, heck the GM from your own team often doesn't honor a previous "agreement".

1. Kadri is rumored to have some agreement in place.

2. Yet many GM's don't think he will have that same standard in a different team as well as getting 35+, I wonder why that is...

Of course its the agent that tells him. He tells the agent the basics of where he wants to live and the teams he prefers to play for if he has any, the agent does the work and comes back with the offers and gives the advice. People want to imagine all sorts of things that gives them the feeling it’s appropriate to mock them and say “they’re getting what they deserve for being blah blah….” whatever crap people want to assign to that person. I think it’s very rare a player fires his agent because he’s arrogant or not understanding of the market because they want more. It’s human nature associated to the job for it to be the other way around. The agent promises the world, most players just wants to play and do the best they can financially and most of them trust the work to the agent. Obviously something went sideways here, fans want to believe in this image of players who don’t understand the market like we fans do, but that’s obviously a joke. Way more reasonable and likely is the agent gave advice that’s backfired and the player is worried about his future and this being the one time he really had control to pick a life for him and his family. Hes trying to fix the situation and put it in the hands of someone he trusts more now. He went with a big agency, doubtful it’s full of agents he can push around to do his evil bidding. Its full of pros that are telling him what the market is now and what they can do for him, and he chose that.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I think it’s very rare a player fires his agent because he’s arrogant or not understanding of the market because they want more. It’s human nature associated to the job for it to be the other way around. The agent promises the world, most players just wants to play and do the best they can financially and most of them trust the work to the agent.

I can assure you that most agents don't promise the world and this and that. It's the players ego and lack of patience that in 95% of all player/agent cases cause the rift. That and that players start listening to all kinds of other people around them and other people from outside whether be other agents or other people who give bad influence.

Players don't appreciate what they have. It's no different for hockey players.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Way more reasonable and likely is the agent gave advice that’s backfired and the player is worried about his future and this being the one time he really had control to pick a life for him and his family. Hes trying to fix the situation and put it in the hands of someone he trusts more now. He went with a big agency, doubtful it’s full of agents he can push around to do his evil bidding. Its full of pros that are telling him what the market is now and what they can do for him, and he chose that.
Yet the market is the exact same now as it was yesterday. So new agent that he supposedly trust more has the same to work with as the other guy.

I think he wanted 7 x $6M at minimum or even more and the only offers he has gotten has been max 5 x $5.25M-$5.50M range.

Which has very little to do with the agent and moreover more to do with his play, age, and future potential.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yet the market is the exact same now as it was yesterday. So new agent that he supposedly trust more has the same to work with as the other guy.

I think he wanted 7 x $6M at minimum or even more and the only offers he has gotten has been max 5 x $5.25M-$5.50M range.

Which has very little to do with the agent and moreover more to do with his play, age, and future potential.
If he thought he was getting that much it’s highly likely he was told he was getting that much.

And you have no idea what the actual numbers are.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
He's worth investing 5 Years at 6 M per season. After that he signs 2 -One year contracts for 2ish mill.

Thats what he is worth

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Anybody remember any players with positive outcomes weeks into UFA?

I would think all major signings that need to happen occur in the 1st day or 2. It's all downhill after that in terms of salary and term.

Doesn't bode well for Klingberg, or even Kadri (for that matter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad