Seravalli: Klingberg fires his agent - now represented by Newport

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
ragnarok-is-it-though.gif

I feel like the last few seasons under Bowness have hurt Klinger's rep - and as a result, his market value.

"Wildly overrated on HF boards"? I'm not sure if he's ever been overrated here.

Underrated, perhaps, early on, but you won't find too many who would include him on a top-20 list or anything. :dunno:
Go look up any recent defenseman ranking in the polls section. There have been times in the past couple years where Klingberg was ranked in the 20-30 range, well ahead of many better defensemen.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Karlsson got 8 x $11.5m starting at age 29.

Doughty got 8 x $11m starting at age 29.

Bobrovsky got 7 x $10m starting at age 31.

Kopitar got 8 x $10m starting at age 29.

Gaudreau got 7 x $9.75m starting at age 29.

Ovechkin got 5 x $9.5m starting at age 36.

Backstrom got 5 x $9.2m starting at age 33.

Pietrangelo got 7 x $8.8m starting at age 30.

Couturier got 8 x $7.75m starting at age 29.
Those are all superstars, except for Couturier who simply plays for the dumbest NHL franchise. I was mostly referring to guys below that level, like Kadri and Klingberg.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Klingberg is just the premium version of Barrie. In such a capped-out league environment, teams weren't going to be willing to pay a lot for that player type.

Reactions: benedictTavares

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
While talented he isnt even the best D-man on that team. He took advantage of the years Seguin, Benn, Radulov were tearing it and padded his stats as he was the only D-man there. Now he isnt and while I think he is solid I dont think there would be any team happy paying him 7-8 mil.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t understand the comparison if Kingberg simply wants to get paid the most money he can.

We don’t even know what deals he might have potentially turned down.

It might be like Hall before he signed with the Sabres. There were some rumored shorter/cheaper term deals but nothing about a big long term deal from anyone really.

It might be tougher if a player doesn’t have the back up of their own team pursuing them.

Why do you think he fired his agent?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It seems one of the biggest mistakes you can make as an NHL player is accept a contract that takes you to the age of 30-31, kind of like what Kadri and Klingberg did. Teams are not very willing to sign you until you’re 37-38 for a high AAV. Whereas if they were 27-28 years old, it would be much more palatable.

Or just don’t overplay your hand.

It sounded like he was asking for a lot of money from Dallas mid season

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I hope we're not the one to pay him long term. I'm pretty sure we won't be. ~30 years old, looking for max term = no thank you.

Reactions: topshelf15

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
TIL Klingberg is overrated on these forums. Apparently.

Some weird comments in this thread.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Huh? I certainly hope not. We got a slew of diaper wearers ready t ogo into action adn they are far more important then competing now.

Montreal Canadiens

After advancing to the Stanley Cup Final in 2021, the Montreal Canadiens came crashing down last season, finishing dead last in the league with a pitiful 22-49-11 record. However, there is plenty of room for optimism moving forward.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
We've had to put up with years of Stars fans overrating Klinberg. I still remember the threads about how much better he was than Karlsson.

Two years under a new coach and system and suddenly he's trash? Maybe he's done, but Stars fans seem awful convinced it was all him and not the coach.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
TIL Klingberg is overrated on these forums. Apparently.

Some weird comments in this thread.
Go look up any recent defenseman ranking in the polls section. There have been times in the past couple years where Klingberg was ranked in the 20-30 range, well ahead of many better defensemen.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
We've had to put up with years of Stars fans overrating Klinberg. I still remember the threads about how much better he was than Karlsson.

Two years under a new coach and system and suddenly he's trash? Maybe he's done, but Stars fans seem awful convinced it was all him and not the coach.

......Citation required. :biglaugh:

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Sens don't want to add a D with a long-term. It's reportedly the reason they didn't push hard for Marino.

Also I doubt Klingberg wants to spend most of his remaining career in Ottawa. If he goes to the Sens it'll almost certainly be on a short-term (1-2 years) to boost his value playing with the Sens' stacked top 6 to try to get a big long-term contract next season or the year after once teams have more money to play with.
Sure. But I don't think it's unreasonable to negotiate a little extra term and also be poking around and seeing if they can find him a new home after one season. If 6x6 doesn't make sense for both sides, OK. But I'd still poke around a 6x2 or 6x3 vs a 6x1.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Klingberg (probably): I want 7 years, 9M+ and to be on a contender now go get me a contract.
Wallen: John, you gotta understand the market and cap...
Klingberg (probably): Hello Newport Sports.
Or alternatively, just as likely:

Klingberg: well, ya know, I kinda like Dallas, no tax and all
Wallen: smh my boy don't be stupid they swindled you on one contract already, let's hit up that FA and get rich
FA: *crickets*

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
habs fan or leafs fan or bruins fan... doesn;t matter ..... i think we can all agree that this FA has been a snoozefest.

Jeez lets get ish going here. Klingberg or Kadri anything will do at this point.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Said before free agency started he was in for a rude awakening. Tough spot as he played through most of his prime being underpaid and underappreciated. Now he's not as good and is looking for some backpay and he's not going to get it. Another strike against "team-friendly" contracts.

Reactions: scholl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad