News Article: Klefbom retires.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I thought he was already lol

is he the only player to play his entire career with the Oilers?
either way, good luck...it was a huge blow when he left permanently...good on Holland to re-build the defense when a top-pairing retires
He is the guy that has played the most games and is retired.

There are others currently that have played more that hopefully retire Oilers.

There are others that played their whole career here, but we are talking about guys like Slepy and Petrell that were borderline NHLers at best.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He's been retired for 4 years now. Odd timing to announce it considering it didn't look like he was attempting any sort of comeback.
Contract kinda just expired a season ago.

There was always that glimmer of hope that he was gonna pull a Ladislav Smid and maybe play back in his native country once his NHL contract expired.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
To me he’ll always be the biggest what if of the current teams era. On top of losing him as a player the series of events that followed(Nurse contract, Larsson leaving) drastically reshaped the team and in my opinion cost the team at least one cup. Hope he’s able to enjoy post hockey life, his bomb of a goal against the Sharks in 2017 might have been my favorite on ice memory from the entire 2010 decade.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Klefbom was one of those players that always left you wanting more. He had the one big year where he was healthy and looked like he finally arrived but outside of that his health was always an issue in one way or another. It’s too bad because the potential was there and he could have been an anchor on our defence for years right when our window was opening up. That would have changed everything but instead his career ending injury set us back years. I hope he’s healthy enough now to lead a normal life.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I thought he was already lol

is he the only player to play his entire career with the Oilers?
either way, good luck...it was a huge blow when he left permanently...good on Holland to re-build the defense when a top-pairing retires
Me too, I thought this was a thread bump and thought there some other kind of news with him.

Reactions: oilers'72

midnightcopper

Apr 28, 2021
Considering where he is deciding to live and such, but I always thought he was very well-spoken and had the looks to be a good color analyst.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Can't help but think of how much better we would have been defensively if we'd still had Klefbom and Larsson instead of Kulak and Ceci ! :dunno:
Probably pretty awful to be honest. Like them or not Ceci and Kulak have been part of the group that has had playoff successes. I liked Klef but honestly he was never that good. Fake it till ya make it type player in my opinion.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
IMG_7031.jpeg

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
If not injured he'd be at the peak of his career and perfect timing for the teams cup window. It's just too bad.

Wish him all the best
Oiler for life

What?!

that's just idiotic
No need to reply
:huh:
I get it :thumbu:
Opinions are like assholes
Everybody has one
I personally think he was overrated. But that’s just my opinion idiotic or not.

Edit: I should add congratulations on retirement and wish him good health and happiness on the rest of his journey.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Klefbom was one of those players that always left you wanting more. He had the one big year where he was healthy and looked like he finally arrived but outside of that his health was always an issue in one way or another. It’s too bad because the potential was there and he could have been an anchor on our defence for years right when our window was opening up. That would have changed everything but instead his career ending injury set us back years. I hope he’s healthy enough now to lead a normal life.
He just had the worst luck with injuries. If I remember correctly, he went in to hospital for a shoulder operation and somehow came out of it with a staph infection on his foot.

Yeah, isn’t this old news? It’s been 4 years
I think they just wanted his contract to officially expire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad