Kitchener Rangers 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Really hope we start to see more from Mercer moving forward. Now that the OA situation is dealt with the pressure on some of these bubble players is on to start finding a role.
Once Andonovski is traded, our 05 group will be hurting. If this team is to be a top contender / elite team in 26–27, our 07’s and 08’s will have developed to the point where next season should be a strong season as well (top four in the conference). That being the case, it would be nice if we could put together three decent OA’s for next year. Mercer has a long way to go before he can be considered a solid OA in a year where should go at least couple rounds deep in the playoffs. After his rookie year, I had him pegged as a Scott Timmins type player. His development seems to have stagnated.

This is where Olivier Savard is missed. He’d have been a good OA D option next year and would have mitigated the pain of moving Andonovski this year.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
If this team is to be a top contender / elite team in 26–27, our 07’s and 08’s will have developed to the point where next season should be a strong season as well (top four in the conference). That being the case, it would be nice if we could put together three decent OA’s for next year
It seems probable that we will use the 'gap' to add an OA goalie as we have so often done (Teichmann, Paterson, Culina, ADB, Constantini ... VanBuskirk, etc) or a stud 19YO (Ingham, etc) following our regular MO for years. Such a move surely underpins our chance of near-term success, if we're developing nicely the next couple years, given the age of current G prospects.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It seems probable that we will use the 'gap' to add an OA goalie as we have so often done (Teichmann, Paterson, Culina, ADB, Constantini ... VanBuskirk, etc) or a stud 19YO (Ingham, etc) following our regular MO for years. Such a move surely underpins our chance of near-term success, if we're developing nicely the next couple years, given the age of current G prospects.
As far as the goaltending goes, I would’ve hoped that Edwards would’ve been our number one next year at 18 years old. A tandem of Edwards/Schaubel with Edwards being the number one would eliminate the need for the addition of a veteran, if/when next year is a contention year.

The year before we hosted in 08, we had a team that was high end. We made it to the third round against Plymouth where the consensus was that Kitchener vs Plymouth was the de facto OHL championship series. If our 07 and 08 groups develop as planned, that is where we could see ourselves next year.

The way our draft cupboard looks now, I don’t think we can burn assets to bring in graduating help for next season. That’s the difference between next year and the 06–07 season. DeBoer was able to make additions to that season’s team in the way of quality vets. I’m not so sure MM will have the assets to be able to make those types of additions and keep a full draft cupboard available for the following year.

All the more reason to do what we can to trade our graduating assets this year to further fill the draft pick cupboard. As much as it would be nice to keep a guy like Swick here for the duration for what he could bring to the team in leadership, etc., we need to look at the big picture for the next two seasons. I’d much rather deal him for what we can get if it means taking that return and flipping it for a comparable OA for next year’s team.

Reactions: K2

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
It’s a bit of a balancing act when rebuilding. You want to capitalize on your useful assets but you don’t want to gut the team either. I think so far the plan is working and with your coach he will keep an under skilled team wining enough so it doesn’t let bad habits creep in. Patience is all that is needed at this point and it’s tough in a city like Kitchener who have seen a lot of good hockey over the years. It’s sort of like London can you imagine the suicide rate if the Knights were to finish even 500 for a season, LOL 😆

K2

Jun 11, 2015
As far as the goaltending goes, I would’ve hoped that Edwards would’ve been our number one next year at 18 years old. A tandem of Edwards/Schaubel with Edwards being the number one would eliminate the need for the addition of a veteran, if/when next year is a contention year
My hope too but we seemed to quickly move away from leading candidate Edwards this year after he had a good 2023-24 in the GO and showed well at camps. DeFelice too, the year before despite being a standout in camp(s) before a bad 5min/OT in preseason (against Malboeuf) after which we acquired Malboeuf while demoting Edwards and DeFelice, who later had a couple starts in the GO, then stepped away from the game? Edwards didn't have a good 1st outing for Komoka and may end up fighting to stick there. Our track record with rookie goalies isn't great though we're far from unique in that respect and it's arguably similar odds to win the 50/50 as develop an OHL goalie that successfully plays 4 full seasons ;)

Schaubel looks better than Edwards/DeFelice against OHL speed pucks so far but we'll need to manage his starts exceptionally well given his age and stature to give him the best chance at developing into a solid OHL goalie IMO.

Unless we somehow flip Parsons to a contender for picks and a strong G prospect I suspect we'll be looking to add a VanBuskirk/Culina/ADB/Malboeuf type G on the cheap next year as our starter or at least to support our favourite young prospect(s) should they show promise or go all-in on a proven OA following the Costantini/Simpson trend if/when we're ever back on the cusp of greatness should our own pipeline not yield a championship tender.

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Not sure if Edwards is injured or other, but so far this season he has appeared in one game out of 8 for Kokomo playing 45 minutes. He allowed 5 goals on 29 shots.

I'm starting to wonder if he ever gets to the OHL. Are the Siskins and Georgetown Raiders still our affiliates? If they are we sure don't use them effectively for developing players.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Unless we somehow flip Parsons to a contender for picks and a strong G prospect I suspect we'll be looking to add a VanBuskirk/Culina/ADB/Malboeuf type G on the cheap next year as our starter or at least to support our favourite young prospect(s) should they show promise or go all-in on a proven OA following the Costantini/Simpson trend if/when we're ever back on the cusp of greatness should our own pipeline not yield a championship tender.
Maybe what we do as a plan for our goaltending going forward is to draft a goalie as we do now with the hope that they develop into a bona fide starter, knowing it’s not the end of the world if they don’t develop because we can always go into the pool and trade for an OA on the very cheap.

When goalies like Simpson and Constantini can be picked up on the very cheap in their OA years, goaltending should never be an issue.

Or is that already the plan!

Reactions: rangersblues

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Maybe what we do as a plan for our goaltending going forward is to draft a goalie as we do now with the hope that they develop into a bona fide starter, knowing it’s not the end of the world if they don’t develop because we can always go into the pool and trade for an OA on the very cheap.

When goalies like Simpson and Constantini can be picked up on the very cheap in their OA years, goaltending should never be an issue.

Or is that already the plan!
I've said for a while that I'd never use a high draft pick on a 15 year old goalie. They're too unpredictable and hope they develop. Draft a couple in the later rounds and let them develop. Scout the GOJHL for 16 and 17 year old goalies. If that's not successful, trade for one like you said.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I've said for a while that I'd never use a high draft pick on a 15 year old goalie. They're too unpredictable and hope they develop. Draft a couple in the later rounds and let them develop. Scout the GOJHL for 16 and 17 year old goalies. If that's not successful, trade for one like you said.
Going into next year‘s playoffs, who is going to have the upper hand in net? Team A: Brantford, who payed a king’s ransom for Leenders? Or Team B: another contending team who traded for a successful overage goalie, with playoff experience, on the cheap?

Once you factor in cost, and what team B are able to do with assets saved by not paying a steep price for their starter, the answer might be obvious.

We haven’t had much luck drafting goalies early in the draft. Mike Torchia is likely the last time we hit on a goalie that we used an early pick on. (2nd round).

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
At this point....I'm planning on having serious conversations with USHL backup goaltenders and potential OAs in 2025. Next year is a brand new ballgame.

At this point....I'm planning on having serious conversations with USHL backup goaltenders and potential OAs in 2025. Next year is a brand new ballgame.
The draft is going to look very different. And don't count out late round kids that we already own the rights to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad