Kitchener Rangers 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Blockbuster!!
Campbell cost us a 5th and 8th rounder.
Ellinas cost us a 4th rounder.
Dirracolo was a FA signing.

MM has shown that there’s nothing wrong with taking a chance on a player when the price is minimal.

The value a 9th rounder as far off as 2028 is as close to FA cost as you’re going to get.

Vermeulen had decent numbers in his OHL draft year. Roll the dice. Maybe he works out.

Also allows for probable veteran forward movement down the road with guys like Headrick and Anstis out long term.

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
Campbell cost us a 5th and 8th rounder.
Ellinas cost us a 4th rounder.
Dirracolo was a FA signing.

MM has shown that there’s nothing wrong with taking a chance on a player when the price is minimal.

The value a 9th rounder as far off as 2028 is as close to FA cost as you’re going to get.

Vermeulen had decent numbers in his OHL draft year. Roll the dice. Maybe he works out.

Also allows for probable veteran forward movement down the road with guys like Headrick and Anstis out long term.
Out Long Term? I don't think Headrick will be back at all. Anstis could be back next month.

• Haha
Reactions: All the Answers

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
Just sayin...

Even Steven needs to keep up!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240916_225128_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240916_225128_Gallery.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
The annual AGM takes place Monday evening. I won't be able to attend this year. Could someone please ask MM why the Rangers have had so much trouble getting imports to show up in the last few years? Why can't they draft players who are actually willing to come here to develop?
This question wasn’t asked but Ahokas did say this group is even closer than last year’s group, which I think is great for a young team and core.

They also touched on Valentini and that he’s obviously still committed to Chicago atm but McKenzie is going to the USHL Classic this weekend … which I would assume would include getting the chance to chat with him and maybe even Jack Hextall (Youngstown)

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
That would be a big deal for 6-10 teams this season, including a handful of wannabe contenders.

Yeah, this would obviously help Kitchener too, as well as Peterborough as mentioned above. Would be nice to keep the (4) OA's the Rangers currently have.

However, had this change been officially announced as of yesterday? Dan mentioned this thought - just for the sake of discussion - in the OHL podcast last week. So if it has in fact now happened then I will say I missed it. Otherwise this subject is not really new. If it is to be implemented this season, then obviously it will need to be done soon, if it hasn't been done already.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Written prior to his draft:

One of the better forwards from the SCTA, Andrew Vermeulen is basically a lock to be one of the higher round picks in the 2022 OHL draft. Formerly playing for Southern Tier, Vermeulen decided to take his talents to the Niagara North Stars, where he was producing at well over a point per game pace in both the regular season and especially the playoffs and OHL cup. Vermeulen has an amazing offensive ability, with solid hands and strong edges, allowing him to cut then go wide, and while he is not the most explosive forward, he’s effective. Vermeulen also is capable of using his large frame quite well, using it to muscle guys off the puck, or displaying extremely high puck protection skills. Vermeulen is not someone who will shy away from danger either, putting his body on the line to block a shot, or sticking up for one of his teammates. Vermeulen has been working the most on his skating, which could use some improvement, which, if corrected, would amplify the young forwards offensive capabilities even further. Vermeulen is seen as a leader amongst his teammates, and displays amazing poise, alongside a patient yet feisty attitude on the ice. With Vermeulen being one of the most highly touted SCTA forwards for the coming draft, it would not be surprising to see him in the league sooner rather than later, where he could use his size and skill as a middle to top 6 winger as a sort of complimentary piece who can provide additional support to his teammates in all zones of the ice.

Also before his draft.......

Playing part in one of the most lethal duos in the SCTA, Andrew Vermeulen is a player that has every coach on high alert when he steps onto the ice. Vermeulen is a player who is known well for his stick work, where he displays very good hands, as well as an exceptional ability to protect the puck. Vermeulen serves as one of the leadership members on Southern Tier, and is known to lead by example, but also just for being a good leader overall in the dressing room and on the ice. Vermeulen is working hard on his speed, which he can utilize to help with creating space for both himself and his teammates. During the 2019/20 season, Vermeulen was able to put up an impressive 27 goals and 22 assists for a grand total of 49 points over the span of 32 games, a definite indication of his dominance over the league. At the OHL level, Vermeulen could end up going in the higher rounds, where he could find himself developing into a steady two way forward and scoring threat as well. The future is bright for Vermeulen moving forward, and right now he is only getting started.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I am all for having a fourth OA as a goalie. I can’t see it starting this year as teams have already planned their rosters and it wouldn’t be fair to change this rule just before the season starts. But starting next year I am all for it.

An example would be that Malboeuf could have landed a spot somewhere this year. He could have been an insurance policy / veteran presence for some team.

Plus Canada has been terrible at developing goalie over the last 15 years or so. Give goalies one more year of development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad