Salary Cap: Chris MacFarland - Record as Avalanche GM (Updates In First Post)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How would you rate the job Chris MacFarland has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs 2024 Off Season So Far

In

Players

• Jonathan Drouin - 1 year $2.5M deal, after he became a UFA
  • Joel Kiviranta - 1 year $775k deal, after he became a UFA
  • Calvin De Haan - 1 year $800k deal
  • Erik Brannstrom - 1 year $900k deal
  • Oliver Kylington - 1 year $1.05M deal

Staff

• Andrew Wilson - Assistant General Manager
  • Nick Pryor - Director of Amateur Scouting
  • Pavel Francouz - Goaltending Scout
  • Jonas Almtorp - Amatuer Scout (Europe?)
  • Kiana Scott - Amateur Scout
  • Jim Clark - Pro Scout
  • Bryan Stewart - Pro Scout
  • Andrew Cogliano - Development Coach
  • Alex Pianosi - Strength Coach

Out

Players

• Andrew Cogliano - Retired
  • Zach Parise - Retired
  • Jack Johnson - 1 x $775k (Columbus)
  • Sean Walker - 3 x $3.6M (Carolina)
  • Yakov Trenin - 4 x $3.5M (Minnesota)
  • Brandon Duhaime - 2 x $1.85M (Washington)
  • Caleb Jones - 1 x 775k in NHL $425k in AHL (LA Kings)
  • Ivan Prosvetov (KHL)
  • Fredrik Olofsson - (Switzerland)

Staff

• Scott Harris - Director of Scouting Operations (? - no longer listed)
  • Wade Klippenstein - Director of Amateur Scouting
  • Peter Budaj - Goaltending Scout
  • Joakim Eriksson - Amateur Scout (Europe)
  • Steven Reinprecht - Development Coach
  • Casey Bond - Strength Coach

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Disagree on the first part. The systems were blammed before they won the Cup too.

We'll see on the reclamation projects. CMa'c already hitting well above average so one or two off the mark shouldn't be held too much against him.

They definitely should have more than 1 Cup with this core when it's all said and done though. Reminds me of the old Avs core. Hopefully it doesn't play out that way, but it's hard to win the Cup. Lots of factors that are out of your control.
I mean our core....but Landy gets absolutely wrecked by a team-mate's errant skate. Nuke turns out to have been a bigger problem than management anticipated when handing him that deal is a bit on them but still. Two years in a row? And now with a potential for a third? Yikes.

I think one of the most often over-looked factor a team needs to win the Cup is luck. Luck comes in many forms (but mostly in the form of team health and having multiple players playing above their contract values).

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Avs 2024 Off Season So Far

In

Players

• Jonathan Drouin - 1 year $2.5M deal, after he became a UFA
  • Joel Kiviranta - 1 year $775k deal, after he became a UFA
  • Calvin De Haan - 1 year $800k deal
  • Erik Brannstrom - 1 year $900k deal
  • Oliver Kylington - 1 year $1.05M deal

Staff

• Andrew Wilson - Assistant General Manager
  • Nick Pryor - Director of Amateur Scouting
  • Pavel Francouz - Goaltending Scout
  • Jonas Almtorp - Amatuer Scout (Europe?)
  • Kiana Scott - Amateur Scout
  • Jim Clark - Pro Scout
  • Bryan Stewart - Pro Scout

Out

Players

• Andrew Cogliano - Retired
  • Zach Parise - Retired
  • Jack Johnson - 1 x $775k (Columbus)
  • Sean Walker - 3 x $3.6M (Carolina)
  • Yakov Trenin - 4 x $3.5M (Minnesota)
  • Brandon Duhaime - 2 x $1.85M (Washington)
  • Caleb Jones - 1 x 775k in NHL $425k in AHL (LA Kings)
  • Ivan Prosvetov (KHL)
  • Fredrik Olofsson - (Switzerland)

Staff

• Scott Harris - Head of Scouting (? - no longer listed)
  • Wade Klippenstein - Director of Amateur Scouting
  • Peter Budaj - Goaltending Scout
  • Joakim Eriksson - Amateur Scout (Europe)
  • Steven Reinprecht - Development Coach
Harris is gone ?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Harris is gone ?

It's not clear. He works closely with CMac and last year was listed as Director of Scouting Operations, but his name has been removed from the Avs list of staff and executives on their website.

It's possible Andrew Wilson took over his old role working with CMac, as AGM McDonald is mainly the GM of the Eagles.

Also possible they just haven't updated his new title, but it seems as though they would have updated it, when they removed the old title.

Avs site doesn't seem to run a tight ship though. They don't upload important press conferences and other media, and they take their time sometimes adjusting titles, so who knows.

Reactions: Alienblood

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
2022-2023 was a lost year for the Avalanche. A large part of that is on MacFarland's decision to keep D Josh Manson - who barely played - instead using that cap space on a proper 2C. With a thinned out forward group, management tried to address the problem in-season, with mixed results.

But realistically, it wasn't going to be Colorado's year the moment it was known Gabe Landeskog would be out indefinitely. With the umbrella of "will he/won't he" return hanging over the team's head, and a hilarious amount of injuries, the season was doomed.

I love the response by MacFarland this off-season. The Avalanche had a lot of holes to fill, and not much cap space to do it. I was sure he would move depth from the back end in order to add cap space and talent up front. But the defense remains intact, sans Erik Johnson.

Yet, the forward group is considerably deeper. I really like the gambles on Jonathan Drouin and Ryan Johansen, while recognizing they could both be disasters. Ross Colton fills Colorado's yearly tradition of trading for an unsigned RFA, and has upside on top of his already solid play. Tomas Tatar, signed in mid-September for well below market value, is the cherry on top of retooling the Avalanche's forward group.

Miles Wood is the move that could be an unforced error. The Avalanche had not given a UFA a multi-year deal since all the way back in 2019 with Jonas Donskoi ($3.9x4), but dipped back into free agency in a big way by giving Wood a six year deal ($2.5x6). Wood is coming off a 27 point season in which he was healthy scratched multiple times in the playoffs, so his long contract will either look very smart or very stupid in the end.

In a vacuum though, MacFarland added all of the above players for the low, low cost of Cap Space and RFA Alex Newhook. He even picked up an additional 1st Round Pick in the process, using that asset and the Avalanche's own pick to select C Calum Ritchie and D Mikhail Gulyayev. Newly signed prospect Nikolai Kovalenko could also be an impactful late season addition.

Overall, this was Colorado's biggest off-season since 2019 (Bellemare, Burakovsky, Byram, Donskoi, Kadri, Newhook, Nichushkin). In my opinion, this is the club's strongest team heading into a season in recent memory, outside of the ill-fated 2020-2021 team. None of the new players feel miscast in their roles, but many of them have seen their careers downturn, so we don't know yet how they'll work out. Based on the coaching staff's work with other incoming players in recent years, I'm going to take the "over" and predict more of them will work out than not.

MacFarland's big off-season that I loved turned out to be a mixed bag of great (Drouin), serviceable (Colton, Wood), and horrendous (Johansen, Tatar). MacFarland was equally active in-season, with signings (Kiviranta, Parise) and trades (Duhaime, Mittelstadt, Trenin, Walker) alike. The path there wasn't smooth, but Colorado's roster was in a good spot heading into the postseason.

Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be. Georgiev played poorly all season, and though he was decent in the post-season, the Avs were at a goaltending disadvantage against Jake Oettinger and the Dallas Stars. More critically, Val Nichushkin's abuse issues once again took him out of Colorado's post-season line-up, dooming the season.

The Avs have problems heading into the 2024-2025 season, with unknowns surrounding the availability of Landeskog and Nichushkin, along with questions in net. I think they'll be a good team, but with a shrinking Cup window, anything less than greatness is unacceptable.

I'm a glass-half-full person, so I think there's a chance they could get there. Colorado's center depth and defensive depth are good. Their winger depth has a chance to be good too, but the lynchpin is the return - or replacement - of Landeskog and Nichushkin.

My greatest concern is in goal. Georgiev was a headcase last year, combining poor play with on-ice emotional outbursts. We know he can play better based on his 2022-2023 season, but that performance looks like the outlier when compared to the rest of his career. Justus Annunen was a brick wall as a backup, but 10 of his 14 appearances came against non-playoff teams. A lot of uncertainty at the position, and rumors that linked the Avs to Yaroslav Askarov suggest MacFarland is still poking around for external help.

Speaking of whom, I've still got him at a "5". A lot of that is based on his work as Assistant GM, though. His first season as GM was rough, but I think he's settled in now and last season he left no stone unturned trying to improve the team. Colorado will likely need more in-season aggressiveness if they're going to win the Stanley Cup this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad