Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
The twins seems to be a packaged deal, where one goes the other follows. That may reduce their trade value as OAs
I'm still not sold on next yr being a sell yr. I suspect MM will try to maximize Jussis stay here with the Rangers still having a good team next yr.
if MM goes into a major sell mode after this season maybe he should trade Jussi also? 😉
We'll take Jussi for three 2nds and two 3rds please.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
We'll take Jussi for three 2nds and two 3rds please.

I trust he’d cost you more than that! Lol!!

Has a coach trade ever happened at this level?

In 1987, New York GM Phil Esposito traded the Rangers 1988 1st round pick to Quebec for their head coach Michel Bergeron.

I can’t remember a coach being traded any other time.

I suspect it’s probably not allowed these days.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
On last nights contest the short handed Rangers played decent through 2 periods. 3rd period was a disaster for a team at the top of the standings playing the team 4th last in the league. Players that stood out were Bottineau , Lam and Sop IMO. OA Conner Punnett was like a bull in a china shop. He ran over several Ranger players with intent to injure and there was no answer to his infractions. I could see at least 2 calls missed on him by the ref. Some how he should have had to answer for this but no one stepped up. Rangers could use a player like Wrecking Ball Punnett on the back end but he is an OA. Run into a player like this in a series and half the team would be on injured reserve.
Jussi has to find a way to get these guys back on track with 60 minute efforts plus playing better defensively as a team. Lots to work on in the 2nd half for sure.

OhSheilaa

Sep 18, 2022
Weird signing? We are short F right now not D. Using a card on a 17 year old with zero OHL experiences vs using a card on acquiring a 19 year old vet OHL player. This is a let’s just ride this ship and really no buy / sell or a future D when we unload some vet Dmen? Maybe I’m reading too much into it but I find this signing very strange.
This is a good signing. It's part of an ongoing process and will combine with other moves by Mike McKenzie to positively improve the team. If London signed this guy, some people on here would be criticizing the Rangers for missing out. Good on MM, Mike Zsoldt and the Scouts for finding him

OhSheilaa

Sep 18, 2022
Brzustewicz has a lot of room to clean up his game. I wouldn't mind if he was dropped to the second pair if we pick up a number 1 dman. Great offense though.

If we don't beef up the blue line after trading Hamara and Schmidt we might as well sell.
Brzustewicz IS a number 1 D-man. Drop the top producing D-man in the league to the 2nd pairing? Ando and him are one of the best pairings in the league.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I trust he’d cost you more than that! Lol!!

Has a coach trade ever happened at this level?

In 1987, New York GM Phil Esposito traded the Rangers 1988 1st round pick to Quebec for their head coach Michel Bergeron.

I can’t remember a coach being traded any other time.

I suspect it’s probably not allowed these days.
My post was somewhat in jest, but really if the Rangers do keep up this pace then go into a sell mode thisoff season then why not? Jussi signed a two yr contract with a two yr mutual option, but his stated goal is to coach in the North American pro leagues.
It's only my opinion, but the Rangers won't go into a sell mode.

Ths is coming from a guy why believes in recuperating draft picks and go into soft sell every yr. The next OHL Memorial Cup host yr be damned.

We had guests over last night, how did the new guy looked for his first game without a practice?

Reactions: EvenSteven

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Hockey News........
Max Dirracolo — the 6-foot-4, 216-pound seventeen-year-old — has been playing with the OJHL's Toronto Patriots, where he has been a force from the back end.

Dirracolo is very mobile for a bigger defender, he possesses an accurate first pass and is a physical force in high-traffic areas. He's been playing on the top pair for the Patriots, and on their second powerplay unit.

------------------------------------------------------------
Director of Hockey operations for the Brockville Braves CCHL tweets:

How this young man went undrafted is ludicrous, Lucky for the Rangers !! Smart, Big, good skater…. Congrats Maxim

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think Jussi could be here for a while. Hope he is for the sake of the fans. Deboer was as successful as a coach as it comes in junior and he took a while to move on to pro. One would think a junior coach has to accomplish an established winning record to get the attention of the pros. This has been a surprise season for the management and fans in Kitchener. Jussi and his staff deserve credit for putting a decent system in place. Been a while since the Rangers had solid coaching. IMO the Ranger players at the top of the league had the potential to be where they are in the point stats. They just needed the right motivation and opportunities to show case their skill. Bruz , Rehkopf , Sop and Missle are all highly skilled players that have stepped up their games this season and are where they should be.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think Jussi could be here for a while. Hope he is for the sake of the fans. Deboer was as successful as a coach as it comes in junior and he took a while to move on to pro. One would think a junior coach has to accomplish an established winning record to get the attention of the pros. This has been a surprise season for the management and fans in Kitchener. Jussi and his staff deserve credit for putting a decent system in place. Been a while since the Rangers had solid coaching. IMO the Ranger players at the top of the league had the potential to be where they are in the point stats. They just needed the right motivation and opportunities to show case their skill. Bruz , Rehkopf , Sop and Missle are all highly skilled players that have stepped up their games this season and are where they should be.
As I said before, I hope he stays here a few years until head coaching job comes. DeBoer could have graduated early to the pros but turned down NHL asst coach and AHL head coach offers.

Then, when the time came, he had the head coaching offer and hasn’t looked back.

Rangers2022

Dec 15, 2022
My post was somewhat in jest, but really if the Rangers do keep up this pace then go into a sell mode thisoff season then why not? Jussi signed a two yr contract with a two yr mutual option, but his stated goal is to coach in the North American pro leagues.
It's only my opinion, but the Rangers won't go into a sell mode.

Ths is coming from a guy why believes in recuperating draft picks and go into soft sell every yr. The next OHL Memorial Cup host yr be damned.

We had guests over last night, how did the new guy looked for his first game without a practice?
Dirracola did not get caught out of position or give the puck away.
I would say he played a very simple game and good on him for his first OHL game.
With last years flop in the the draft and only Bottineau as a 2006 born player to start the year.
MM has rebounded in getting 2006 born players by adding Campbell, Ellinas and now Dirracola.
Plus this years draft was really good and 6 players born 2007 have seen ice time.

RB76

Aug 22, 2023
On last nights contest the short handed Rangers played decent through 2 periods. 3rd period was a disaster for a team at the top of the standings playing the team 4th last in the league. Players that stood out were Bottineau , Lam and Sop IMO. OA Conner Punnett was like a bull in a china shop. He ran over several Ranger players with intent to injure and there was no answer to his infractions. I could see at least 2 calls missed on him by the ref. Some how he should have had to answer for this but no one stepped up. Rangers could use a player like Wrecking Ball Punnett on the back end but he is an OA. Run into a player like this in a series and half the team would be on injured reserve.
Jussi has to find a way to get these guys back on track with 60 minute efforts plus playing better defensively as a team. Lots to work on in the 2nd half for sure.
Punnet was a beast, I think pugs would have had something to say. Boys are worn out and in need of some downtime to get healthy but it seemed obvious we’re going to need some extra help to be able to make a run.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Punnet was a beast, I think pugs would have had something to say. Boys are worn out and in need of some downtime to get healthy but it seemed obvious we’re going to need some extra help to be able to make a run.
Anyone know how long Pug is out for?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Read this tidbit from a Brown article- Where does that leave the Rangers? I talked to MM about it tonight and will have a story soon. If I’m wearing the GM hat, I’m on the hunt for an import, a top six forward and an older defenceman via trade. Whether that’s available or not is another question.

SFC

Jan 4, 2023
So we're halfway through the season and we have a Ranger on pace for some pretty gaudy numbers. Hunter Brzustewicz has 48 assists through 34 team games--on pace for 96 total, which would be the most in the OHL since 1994-95 (Bill Bowler, 102) and the second-most all time for a defenseman (Bryan Fogarty, 108). The record is 110 by John Goodwin in 1980-81. He's not passing Fogarty or Goodwin but second for a D is within reach (he needs 90) and he's got an outside shot at 100, though it's unlikely. He's also very well positioned to break Jason Akeson's team record of 84 in 2010-11.

As for points by a defenceman, again, Fogarty is untouchable (155, hard to imagine that ever gets broken) but he's on pace for 110, which would be sixth all-time. Probably not going to happen, but getting to 100 would be cool, and passing Ryan Ellis (2010-11, 101) would be even better.

What about Rehkopf, you say? Well, no records in sight there. Absent the junior team invite he might have had a shot at Wayne Presley's single-season goal-scoring mark of 63. (I suppose it's still possible but he's off the pace and would need a big second half.) Getting to 60, which has been done three times in Rangers history (Sean Burr, 1985-86; John Tucker, 1982-83) would be fun and is certainly more likely.

If I were a betting man (I'm not) I'd say Brzustewicz gets to 90 assists and 101 points. Rehkopf gets to 55 goals. Hopefully neither does it with Saginaw. (I kid, the hard sell isn't happening.)

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
“I don’t know too many teams that are in the top four or five in the league and start off-loading their best players,” said McKenzie. “I don’t think we’ll be doing that, if I’m speaking honestly.”
“It’s a little bit of a weird year with the east being so wide open,” said McKenzie. “I think there are a lot of question marks with what some teams want to do, and I think it’s going to go right up to the deadline on what teams end up doing, whether it’s keeping, selling or adding.

The team remains interested in adding Slovakian forward Tomas Pobezal, a 17-year-old who is playing in a men’s league back home, though currently working his way back from a hand injury.
If he can’t be swayed, that spot could be filled via trade.
“There are only so many teams that can take on an import too, so it’s a little bit of an advantage if you can acquire one,” said McKenzie.

With our 2007-born first rounders, it would have to be something crazy,” said McKenzie, when asked if he’d consider trading one or both. “We really like those two players. They’re playing well for us now but they’re going to be really good in a couple of years.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers2022

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
“I don’t know too many teams that are in the top four or five in the league and start off-loading their best players,” said McKenzie. “I don’t think we’ll be doing that, if I’m speaking honestly.”
“It’s a little bit of a weird year with the east being so wide open,” said McKenzie. “I think there are a lot of question marks with what some teams want to do, and I think it’s going to go right up to the deadline on what teams end up doing, whether it’s keeping, selling or adding.

The team remains interested in adding Slovakian forward Tomas Pobezal, a 17-year-old who is playing in a men’s league back home, though currently working his way back from a hand injury.
If he can’t be swayed, that spot could be filled via trade.
“There are only so many teams that can take on an import too, so it’s a little bit of an advantage if you can acquire one,” said McKenzie.

With our 2007-born first rounders, it would have to be something crazy,” said McKenzie, when asked if he’d consider trading one or both. “We really like those two players. They’re playing well for us now but they’re going to be really good in a couple of years.”
Does a deal that consists of Beck and Smith from Peterborough constitute as a deal that is “something crazy” to use one of Romano or Reid as a trade chip?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Does a deal that consists of Beck and Smith from Peterborough constitute as a deal that is “something crazy” to use one of Romano or Reid as a trade chip?
For me, I love our top six.

Swick. Rehkopf. Mesar.
Martin. Sop. Miseljevic.

If we bring in an Owen Beck, he will 100% bump Sop out of the #2 C spot. Where will he go? 3rd line? Sop is on a 40 goal pace. I don’t want to screw that up. Or as a left shot, would he bump Martin out of the top six? Who’s Martin playing with on the third line? Martin was also at a 40 goal pace playing top six. I doubt MM moved out Schmidt so Martin could play 3rd line minutes. Would Sop bump Miseljevic out of the top six? Misel is having a career year playing there. Another 40ish goal pace player. I contend to bump either of the three out of the top six could affect their production negatively. As much as in half.

For me, I do not upset the apple cart. I leave the top six as is. We’re the top scoring team in the league. I don’t think we need to bring in someone because we lack scoring or lack top six players. It’s depth we have to address.

Acquire at least one pretty good veteran forward (I prefer two) on the cheap to play 3rd line with Lam. If Romano is moved, (I don’t see Reid going anywhere), it could be for quantity instead of quality.

A Beck / Smith acquisition will exhaust most of our assets along with Romano. We’d still have holes. Again, I don’t want a scenario where we run with two of Reid, Campbell, Dirracolo in the lineup at the same time on a deep playoff run. We’d be asking too much I think and they’d be exposed. Especially if they are together on the 3rd pairing.

We need three strong lines to go deep. I like Ellinas and I see a bright future for him here. But I’m sceptical both he and Lam together on the third line. Both would be pretty good 3rds on a 3rd line but not at the same time.

If we run into Saginaw in a deep playoff round, their 3rd line will chew those guys up and that could be the difference in the series. Saginaw will add big time and what they’ll ice as a 3rd line will be a line of vets. Watch and see.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
you would be lucky to last a round. Does a deal that consists of Beck and Smith from Peterborough constitute as a deal that is “something crazy” to use one of Romano or Reid as a trade chip?
One would think if Beck is the big fish Saginaw would be in on him first. I think MM has to proceed with caution leading up to the deadline. I think the elephant in the room is the defense mostly on this squad. They give up far too many odd man rushes every game and struggle to play a solid 60 minutes. Second half they need to correct this issue. Do this in a play off series and a team would be lucky to last one round ala Spits last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad