Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
MM's comments in the paper suggested that the Rangers set their price and said they would pull the trigger on a trade when the price was met. Intimated that they wanted to a picks based return and wanted to go early before teams had depleted their stockpile.

On the planning to win comment - sure, that's partly for the fans, to keep us interested, but it is also for the team. Doesn't want them going into the season feeling that they have a built-in excuse. Message is that they are still expected to win.
I listened to his interview today with Mike Farwell. You’d swear he got every answer from these boards. His reasoning for and against picks only return, etc. Just about everything.

Tells me he’s either down here at our level or we’re up there at his!!
😄

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Now that we have a void at centre with the Rehkopf trade, perhaps Tomas Pobezal would like to fill the role.

He could skate right into the #1 C slot if he signed.

Is he still in our plans?

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
Now that we have a void at centre with the Rehkopf trade, perhaps Tomas Pobezal would like to fill the role.

He could skate right into the #1 C slot if he signed.

Is he still in our plans?
I think the 5'10 and under roster is chalk full. No thank you!
You all keep talking about competing with London, and future picks. Scouting staff needs re-evaluated. 5 ft nothing is getting us nothing. Even tonight, when the competition is elevated, Romano doesn't pass the eye test, too small. Perimeter player, bad decision, selfish, out of the play. Just hanging on.
Reid looks good.

Reactions: LostRangers

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
Don’t forget Jason Schaubel in net. I don’t think he signed with Kitchener and leave Sherwood Park to play Jr. B somewhere.
Forwards - 15
Defence - 7
Goalies - 3

OA - 3
Swick
Pug
Misa
2005 - 2
Sale
Mercer
2006 - 3
Ellinas
Bott
Hlacar
2007 - 4
Lam
Romano
Paquette
Labrash
2008 - 3
Headrick
Cameron
Anstis

2005 - 1
Ando
2006 - 2
Campbell
Dirracolo
2007 - 3
Reid
MacNeil
Stark
2008 - 1
Bilecki

OA - 2
Parsons
Malboeuf
2007 - 1
Edwards

Reactions: Ref Hannah

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
Don’t forget Jason Schaubel in net. I don’t think he signed with Kitchener and leave Sherwood Park to play Jr. B somewhere.
Screenshot_20240807_235302_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
You all keep talking about competing with London, and future picks. Scouting staff needs re-evaluated. 5 ft nothing is getting us nothing. Even tonight, when the competition is elevated, Romano doesn't pass the eye test, too small. Perimeter player, bad decision, selfish, out of the play. Just hanging on.
Reid looks good.
Keep icing that thing #26, end of game, up by 1...I'd bench him faster than he ran out of his interview last night! No discipline. Can't wait to see how that turns out this season.

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
Keep icing that thing #26, end of game, up by 1...I'd bench him faster than he ran out of his interview last night! No discipline. Can't wait to see how that turns out this season.
Well thank god you aren’t coaching. I know you’re new to this board but I really hope you aren’t just going to comment this negative “old man yells at cloud” stuff all season…

We rarely have a player on Canadas U18 team averaging a goal per game and getting a ton of minutes, why are we dogging him? He looked great in playoffs and has been noticeable in more good ways than bad ways at the U18s from what I’ve watched the last few days.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Reid looks good.
🙄

Reactions: rangersblues

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Well thank god you aren’t coaching. I know you’re new to this board but I really hope you aren’t just going to comment this negative “old man yells at cloud” stuff all season…

We rarely have a player on Canadas U18 team averaging a goal per game and getting a ton of minutes, why are we dogging him? He looked great in playoffs and has been noticeable in more good ways than bad ways at the U18s from what I’ve watched the last few days.
I agree. We're not here (at least I'm not) to just fawn over everything the team does, but that response to one of our more hopeful young players we've had in several years is over the top.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The problem with that scenario is that is that Adam Valentini has no interest in playing in the OHL he is going the US College route.
thats very incorrect.

he had a deal with another team but pulled out because there was some concerns about guaranteed ice time. another team comes around with that guarantee, hed look at it again.

how do you know what valentini is thinking?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Reid looks good.
Umm, I’m not saying “no thank you” to a player some scouting services have ranked to go late 2nd round in the NHL draft, because he’s 5’10”, not 6’.

We just traded away our #1 C. Unless I’m missing someone, Pobezal would be our highest ranked C were he to sign this year.

We’d be lucky to have him commit.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I admit that having seen the mock drafts prior to the 2023 draft, I had felt that there may have possibly been a better player available where Romano was selected. To add further concern, it also seemed to take time for him to get comfortable in this league. But man, had this kid removed any doubt that I had in my mind during the last half of the season and into the playoffs. Now, a great selection IMO.

So with the drafting of Headrick in the 1st round in this past year's draft, despite his current size, I need to give MM the benefit of a doubt. Besides, from what I've seen the kid's work ethic and drive is already proven. So, I've learned that mock drafts - although somewhat useful for us who don't get out to see the games - are more of a guide than anything else.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
thats very incorrect.

he had a deal with another team but pulled out because there was some concerns about guaranteed ice time. another team comes around with that guarantee, hed look at it again.

how do you know what valentini is thinking?
And, with the Rangers going into a rebuild, I’m thinking jobs among our top 6 will be wide open. It wouldn’t be out of the question to see a Valentini move into a top six spot on this team this year if some sort of deal were done. Especially if and when another vet or two are moved. On what will be a very young team, he’d slot in ahead of a few of our returning players.

We have three OA forwards. With us surely going with an OA goalie, at least one of the OA forwards will be moved. Maybe another if MM decides to go with an OA D depending on when Andonovski is moved.

This isn’t a veteran team we’re talking about here that would see him spent the bulk of his time on the 4th line.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
And, with the Rangers going into a rebuild, I’m thinking jobs among our top 6 will be wide open. It wouldn’t be out of the question to see a Valentini move into a top six spot on this team this year if some sort of deal were done. Especially if and when another vet or two are moved. On what will be a very young team, he’d slot in ahead of a few of our returning players.

We have three OA forwards. With us surely going with an OA goalie, at least one of the OA forwards will be moved. Maybe another if MM decides to go with an OA D depending on when Andonovski is moved.

This isn’t a veteran team we’re talking about here that would see him spent the bulk of his time on the 4th line.
for sure, now i dont think that valentini is a lock to play in the ohl dont get me wrong, but to suggest that he will never play in the o is equally silly. im sure if the right organization made the right pitch, hed come.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
for sure, now i dont think that valentini is a lock to play in the ohl dont get me wrong, but to suggest that he will never play in the o is equally silly. im sure if the right organization made the right pitch, hed come.
Agreed. All this Valentini talk is me spitballing anyway.

MM’s quote about maybe picking up young player(s) could be he’s talking about maybe going after a possible defected player (Valentini or Cali), or maybe this year’s version of Ellinas.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
McKenzie was just on the Mike Farwell Show and one quote got me a bit interested...

He mentioned that having these assets (picks) now in the bank allows them to potentially target a young player "one month, two, three months down the road."

Can't ready too much into it, but still a fun quote to dig in to since it's August and we have nothing else to do!
MM actually says one month....and then quickly adds the two or three down the road. It stood out for me as well. We'll see if it's anything in a month......or so.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
To some the Rehkopf trade might signal a shift on East Avenue, one that might see additional veterans traded as the club focuses on its young contingent — specifically its impressive 16 and 17-year-old class.

Not so, says McKenzie.

“We’re definitely not throwing the towel in this year,” he said. “I wouldn’t expect there to be any other big group of guys going out the door. I think we’ll have a really competitive team even with the loss of Carson.”

From the Newspaper today
That's spin to temper ticket sales. He's not going to say "yeah, this season is going to suck." :monkey:

Reactions: frontsfan67

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Reid looks good.
:rolleyes:

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Forwards - 15
Defence - 7
Goalies - 4

OA - 3
Swick
Pug
Misa
2005 - 2
Sale
Mercer
2006 - 3
Ellinas
Bott
Hlacar
2007 - 4
Lam
Romano
Paquette
Labrash
2008 - 3
Headrick
Cameron
Anstis

2005 - 1
Ando
2006 - 2
Campbell
Dirracolo
2007 - 3
Reid
MacNeil
Stark
2008 - 1
Bilecki

OA - 2
Parsons
Malboeuf
2007 - 1
Edwards
2008 - 1
Schaubel

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
I admit that having seen the mock drafts prior to the 2023 draft, I had felt that there may have possibly been a better player available where Romano was selected. To add further concern, it also seemed to take time for him to get comfortable in this league. But man, had this kid removed any doubt that I had in my mind during the last half of the season and into the playoffs. Now, a great selection IMO.

So with the drafting of Headrick in the 1st round in this past year's draft, despite his current size, I need to give MM the benefit of a doubt. Besides, from what I've seen the kid's work ethic and drive is already proven. So, I've learned that mock drafts - although somewhat useful for us who don't get out to see the games - are more of a guide than anything else.
I understand your points. And can appreciate what you've said. However, you only spoke to half the story. What about the others like Lam and Arquette.
There is a distinct pattern here. And let's keep in mind that these are the exact draft level pics we just traded Razor for. Will it continue?
Perhaps the sell out crowds continued celebration of mediocrity isn't exactly demanding change.
I'll check back in around December when the dust settles.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Adding more fuel to the Valentini "what if".......remember this?

Knights acquire blueline prospect Henry Brzustewicz
By Josh Sweetland September 2, 2023

The London Knights added a notable young name to their prospect group on the blueline Friday afternoon, acquiring Henry Brzustewicz from the Ottawa 67’s. In addition to obtaining a compensatory pick in the 2024 OHL Priority Selection, the 67’s received Niagara’s second round pick in 2025, along with London’s second and third round picks in 2027.

RANGERS with Rehkopf gone (who decommitted from the States to join the Rangers and was more closer to home for his family to support and attend games)....minutes and more opportunity for Valentini.....and family can be more involved and supportive. Brampton would get its compensatory pick AND Rangers would get a 2nd #1 pick for the team.

Never say never. It could happen.....and September is not that far off.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I understand your points. And can appreciate what you've said. However, you only spoke to half the story. What about the others like Lam and Arquette.
There is a distinct pattern here. And let's keep in mind that these are the exact draft level pics we just traded Razor for. Will it continue?
Perhaps the sell out crowds continued celebration of mediocrity isn't exactly demanding change.
I'll check back in around December when the dust settles.
I can't speak to Arquette, but yeah, when it came to playoffs (was evident the lack of that physical type of team required at that time of year) the decision to limit Lam's ice time because of age and size was likely the right decision. I admit to being surprised though at how well he handled the league from that standpoint during the course of the regular season. There were a few times he got rocked, but preseason I didn't expect him to adjust the way he did....at least the way I saw it.

Arguably, last year's team was not built for the playoffs. I think it still remains to be seen whether or not there is presently enough toughness to support the young talent on this team - especially if Andonovski gets dealt down the road. Time will tell.

Reactions: Rangers2022
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad