Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This is not a knock to the rangers at all but why would he de commit from Chicago and in the USHL which is a top program, then Michigan in the NCAA which is another top program and has a track record of putting out top players year after year.

Chicago USHL
Last year Michael Hage got drafted first round.
Year before that Celebrini was there and after then went on to be the #1 pick
Year before that Fantilli was there and went on to be the #3 pick
Year before that Josh Doan and Sean Farrell were there and they’ve done pretty good for themselves too.

Michigan NCAA
Last year Seamus casey, Gavin brindley, Dylan duke, rutger mcgroaraty, nick moldenhauer, frank nazar were there.
Year before same guys + Luke Hughes, Adam Fantilli, Mackie samoskevich, Eric portillo
Year before some of the same guys + Owen power, matty beniers, John Beecher, Brendon Brisson, Thomas borderleau, Kent johnson

Kitchener is great don’t get me wrong but they don’t have a track record like this over the last few years
just a bit of clarity on chicago. they were once the top ushl program, the owner took a significant loss every year because his kids where on the team. they invested and probably lost a ton every year. there was a deal with caa, hage's agency, that basically send the top players they had there because of the investment. fantilli, doan, hage, celebrini are all caa guys.

it was sold last year and this past year it was not the same. the costs here cut, its more of a business now. less charters, less perks, etc.

not saying its a bad program, but its not the same and im not sur that caa will continue to send its top guys there every year. this year they did not send any of their top guys there.

i think valentini will go where the dad feels is best, hes the one driving the boat. if an ohl team says he will be a top guy from puck drop, i could see it, but low odds.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
just a bit of clarity on chicago. they were once the top ushl program, the owner took a significant loss every year because his kids where on the team. they invested and probably lost a ton every year. there was a deal with caa, hage's agency, that basically send the top players they had there because of the investment. fantilli, doan, hage, celebrini are all caa guys.

it was sold last year and this past year it was not the same. the costs here cut, its more of a business now. less charters, less perks, etc.

not saying its a bad program, but its not the same and im not sur that caa will continue to send its top guys there every year. this year they did not send any of their top guys there.

i think valentini will go where the dad feels is best, hes the one driving the boat. if an ohl team says he will be a top guy from puck drop, i could see it, but low odds.
Ah thanks for the clarity. Don’t know much about ushl/ncaa just the players that play on the teams

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Celebrini pretty much implied he was paid to play in Chicago on Spittin Chikletts.
In what manner he didn’t actually say, but I’m supposing it wouldn’t fly in the OHL and wouldn’t affect his NCAA status.

But he did say that they were well taken care of. He said it in a way that had me thinking there was some compensation

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Dont NCAA athletes now get NIL money? Or is that a new thing happening this year? That could be what he is implying. Also with their top of the line weight rooms, facilities, schooling, training regime etc.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
On the theory of Valentini being in the mix:

If I’m Brampton, I want the first round comp pick if this player is not reporting. That’s where a deadline deal involving him does not make sense. We know as part of a two-part deal, the same assets can’t be transferred back to complete the deal. So that means none of the picks involved in the Rehkopf deal can be transferred back to Brampton for Valentini. The only other picks that the Rangers have that would be of interest are their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks in 2028. I suppose those three picks could be sent back to Brampton for Valentini’s rights. But if I’m Brampton, I want more.
I want Andonovski.

So this is how things could play out:
During the September window, Brampton trades Valentini to the Rangers for the Ranger’s 2nd, 3rd and 4th picks in 2028. Then, once the Rangers get Valentini signed, the Rangers trade Andonovski to Brampton for Brampton’s 2nd, 3rd, and 4th picks in 2028.

So in effect, the 2028 picks involved in each of these deals cancel each other out. The trade effectively becomes Valentini for Andonovski. On the surface, that may look like a lopsided trade in the Rangers favor. But once you consider the value of Andonovski to be Jorian Donovan return (8 high picks), it doesn’t look lopsided at all.

This deal works out well for everybody. Brampton gets the players they want to go on a run this year along with a comp first round pick for next year‘s draft. Kitchener gets their draft pick cupboard restocked and bring in one of the top players from the 2024 draft. Valentini is happy to sign with the Rangers.

For all this to happen, though, there would already have to be agreements in place (pre Rehkopf trade) between the two teams and the Valentini camp that Valentini will report the Kitchener.
The problem with that scenario is that is that Adam Valentini has no interest in playing in the OHL he is going the US College route.

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023

FWIW... Valentini is also repped by Quartexx (who reps a bunch of Rangers, including Rehkopf), not even CAA.

No real value there I don't think but figured I would put it out in the world in case others didn't know.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
FWIW... Valentini is also repped by Quartexx (who reps a bunch of Rangers, including Rehkopf), not even CAA.

No real value there I don't think but figured I would put it out in the world in case others didn't know.
thats what i mean about caa, they dont seem to be sending their top guys there anymore.

Reactions: OnlyUpFromHere49

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
To some the Rehkopf trade might signal a shift on East Avenue, one that might see additional veterans traded as the club focuses on its young contingent — specifically its impressive 16 and 17-year-old class.

Not so, says McKenzie.

“We’re definitely not throwing the towel in this year,” he said. “I wouldn’t expect there to be any other big group of guys going out the door. I think we’ll have a really competitive team even with the loss of Carson.”

From the Newspaper today

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
To some the Rehkopf trade might signal a shift on East Avenue, one that might see additional veterans traded as the club focuses on its young contingent — specifically its impressive 16 and 17-year-old class.

Not so, says McKenzie.

“We’re definitely not throwing the towel in this year,” he said. “I wouldn’t expect there to be any other big group of guys going out the door. I think we’ll have a really competitive team even with the loss of Carson.”

From the Newspaper today
Sure Mike. Sure.

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
The problem with that scenario is that is that Adam Valentini has no interest in playing in the OHL he is going the US College route.
Come 2026-2027 it won't matter anymore. He like others his age will soon benefit from both OHL and NCAA. Play OHL until 20 then go NCAA until 24 as needed or preferred. Its going to be even more of a poker game and arms race then ever before. Just ask the Bekham Edwards team how it works.

Reactions: RB76

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
" specifically its impressive 16 and 17-year-old class"

Strong verbiage here that I'm not exactly agreeing with. What are we missing?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Truth be told, I see Brantford as the more likely destination for Andonovski. Drafted by Ottawa, Brantford is owned by Ottawa Senators owner. And the Ottawa brass are very impressed with Andonovski. I listen to a couple Ottawa podcasts from time to time and their book on him is that they feel they have a steal where they picked him in the draft.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Truth be told, I see Brantford as the more likely destination for Andonovski. Drafted by Ottawa, Brantford is owned by Ottawa Senators owner. And the Ottawa brass are very impressed with Andonovski. I listen to a couple Ottawa podcasts from time to time and their book on him is that they feel they have a steal where they picked him in the draft.
Do you think he will be traded after the owners comments in the media after the trade that he did not plan on moving any other big names?

Reactions: LDN

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Do you think he will be traded after the owners comments in the media after the trade that he did not plan on moving any other big names?
They’re all media trained. They know it’s a bad call to say oh ya we’re going to sell everything this year! don’t even buy your season tickets.

At the end of the day it’s a business and sometimes businesses have to make tough calls and fans have to live with them.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Forwards - 15
Defence - 7
Goalies - 3

OA - 3
Swick
Pug
Misa
2005 - 2
Sale
Mercer
2006 - 3
Ellinas
Bott
Hlacar
2007 - 4
Lam
Romano
Paquette
Labrash
2008 - 3
Headrick
Cameron
Anstis

2005 - 1
Ando
2006 - 2
Campbell
Dirracolo
2007 - 3
Reid
MacNeil
Stark
2008 - 1
Bilecki

OA - 2
Parsons
Malboeuf
2007 - 1
Edwards

Reactions: LDN

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
MM's comments in the paper suggested that the Rangers set their price and said they would pull the trigger on a trade when the price was met. Intimated that they wanted to a picks based return and wanted to go early before teams had depleted their stockpile.

On the planning to win comment - sure, that's partly for the fans, to keep us interested, but it is also for the team. Doesn't want them going into the season feeling that they have a built-in excuse. Message is that they are still expected to win.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad